Modern Gretsch Guitars

Redwood Penguin

NFI.

Yow. This really floats my boat and I never woulda thunk it. That's redwood burl and it looks rich and gorgeous. I'd make only a few mods to this: Ray Butts Filtertrons, a Duane Eddy handle and some kind of TruArc Serpentune (tuna is a fish not a guitar bridge). I really love these collaborations between retailers and Stern's Custom Shop.

nice ! very nice, but way out of my "fixed income".

dudes are laying out big $ for this Stern scene

I like it,but it looks more like a singlecut Gent variant to me.

I like it,but it looks more like a singlecut Gent variant to me.

– DaveH

I like your thinking! A single-cut Gent with this finish would be on my get list.

nice ! very nice, but way out of my "fixed income".

– Sgt Rock

I know how you feel Brent!

Hope things are going uphill for your recovery.

I suspect I am not the target market for these guitars, but I always wonder why they want to put a Penguin headstock on them? I know the Penguin was rare, blah blah blah... But that headstock looks a little ridiculous on this guitar. The Jet headstock is more functional and would help the guitar to stay in tune more easily. And I think it's in proportion better than the Penguin headstock.

As it is the Penguin headstock is probably a welcome thing - it removes any desire for me to spend money I don't have!

I wouldn't have thought I'd like it. But it looks like burl on a classic Rolls Royce dashboard, and that's pretty classy. I don't think I need it, though.

I like the matte finish on it.

Looks too much like a piece of furniture. Not for me.

I like it. There was one for sale a while back that was not so great. I think it had the gold sparkle binding and inlay. Way too much bling against the brown burled wood finish. The pale gold of the hardware and pickups is just right on this, and the white binding keeps it from going over the edge.

WAY better than the similar example that was posted here a little while back.

I suspect I am not the target market for these guitars, but I always wonder why they want to put a Penguin headstock on them? I know the Penguin was rare, blah blah blah... But that headstock looks a little ridiculous on this guitar. The Jet headstock is more functional and would help the guitar to stay in tune more easily. And I think it's in proportion better than the Penguin headstock.

As it is the Penguin headstock is probably a welcome thing - it removes any desire for me to spend money I don't have!

– JimmyR

I second the motion! I love this guitar... just wish it was a Jet.

Looks too much like a piece of furniture. Not for me.

– Gerry Ratrod

Your furniture is much nicer, than mine.

Register Sign in to join the conversation