Modern Gretsch Guitars

Questions about the PE G6119T vs the PE G6120T

Hello folks. I'm trying to decide on my first Proline and have a few questions.

I have an Electromatic G5420T in Fairlane Blue, which I love, and have an Electromatic G5220 Jet on the way but I've got some questions about the Player's Edition Tennessee Rose and the Player's Edition Nashville...

Going side by side on the Gretsch site, looking at the specs, they honestly seem very, very close. Same neck measurements, same High Sensitive Filter'Tron pickups... everything seems identical except the 6119 has rosewood for the fretboard and bridge base and the 6120 has ebony for both. Beyond that, the only differences seem to be cosmetic, the colour of the body and headstock and the hardware with the 6120 being gold hardware.

Oh, the 6119 has a B6CP while the 6120 has a B6GP Bigsby... could someone tell me the difference there?

Is that really what it boils down too, cosmetics and model name/number?

I'd be happy with both. Part of me would love that classic Gretsch orange look while part of me has always wanted the cherry red Tennessee Rose. And as I'm at least 90% likely to get a Tru Arc bridge based on what I've been reading online... I'm leaning a little towards the Tennessee Rose simply because a stainless steel bridge would match better with nickle than gold hardware.

It's not an immediate purchase, it'll likely be a Christmas present to myself and unfortunately stores here don't stock either. If you want it, you order it, so I can't do a side-by-side comparison but being a Gretsch fan since I was a kid, and watching Wildwood guitars videos as part of my model research, I know what to expect soundwise. Oh... one last question. Since the purchase is a few months off I don't want to bother him with an email but does Tim ship bridges to Canada?

Thanks.

They’re mostly the same thing. Different fretboard material and hardware colors like you said, and the f holes are bigger on the 6120.

And as far as I can tell the CP vs GP model Bigsby just refers to the color.

Body thickness is biggest difference.

Aren’t all the hollow body players editions the same ML braced 2.25”?

I gladly and gratefully ship to Canada, our esteemed northern neighbor, no matter the tradeo-political winds of the day.

I gladly and gratefully ship to Canada, our esteemed northern neighbor, no matter the tradeo-political winds of the day.

– Proteus

Wonderful. When the time comes I'll definitely dropping you a line. I've never heard a bad word about your bridges.

B6GP Bigsby = B6 gold plated. Same as the other B6 but shiny gold - until it becomes slightly mottled gold plated.

Rosewood fretboards will sound different from ebony but some folks won't hear the difference apparently. The differences are subtle! But to my ears ebony has a slightly rounder sound versus the slightly dryer, sharper sound of rosewood.

On a Gibson with PAFs or P90s I like rosewood boards because they add some cut to the sound. On a Gretsch with Filter'trons I like ebony and the way it rounds off the extreme highs but I would happily use either.

I've never heard a bad word about your bridges.

You haven’t heard the machinist who makes them when a tool breaks, boogers up the bridge, it flies across the room, and he has to start over. Sometimes they draw blood. I'm told many bad words blue the air. (The REAL reason manufactories post signs saying insurance won't permit customers on the shop floor.)

I've never heard a bad word about your bridges.

You haven’t heard the machinist who makes them when a tool breaks, boogers up the bridge, it flies across the room, and he has to start over. Sometimes they draw blood. I'm told many bad words blue the air. (The REAL reason manufactories post signs saying insurance won't permit customers on the shop floor.)

– Proteus

Morning laughter ensued after reading this!

I have a PE Tennessee Rose. It was my first guitar and it’s a keeper. The differences are the amount of binding and the gold vs. chrome trim. The f holes are smaller on the TR. They are both great guitars. It comes down to preference. I also have Brian Setzer 6120. Another great guitar. The players editions are more geared to someone that plays often. The shallower body and ML bracing give it a bit darker sound but it will still chime just fine with the HSFilter’trons. The most common modification that I have seen is changing pickups to TV Classics. I’m not that good to need the change. The stock setup is just fine for me. The best bet is to try one for the feel/tone and then decide which one fits your personality. I am a sucker for dark cherry stain with chrome trim. That drove the original purchase although I did end up getting an orange beauty a bit later. I hope this helps. Good luck Rick

Thanks Rick. Unfortunately L&M stores are full of Fenders, Gibsons, Epiphones and the Electromatic Gretsches but a Proline Gretsch would need to be ordered.

Ultimately though the differences are largely cosmetic and while the Tennessee Rose was my initial preference part of me is really leaning towards that iconic Gretsch orange now.

Ha! It'll probably come down to a coin toss.

Thanks Rick. Unfortunately L&M stores are full of Fenders, Gibsons, Epiphones and the Electromatic Gretsches but a Proline Gretsch would need to be ordered.

Ultimately though the differences are largely cosmetic and while the Tennessee Rose was my initial preference part of me is really leaning towards that iconic Gretsch orange now.

Ha! It'll probably come down to a coin toss.

– Joseph

What city is your L&M in? I have several to choose from in Greater Vancouver but only the downtown Vancouver has any choice of Gretsches and even then most are the lower end.

Either one is a winner and like most here have said “it’s an addiction”. You will eventually wind up with a few

Best of luck!

What city is your L&M in? I have several to choose from in Greater Vancouver but only the downtown Vancouver has any choice of Gretsches and even then most are the lower end.

– Windsordave

I'm in London and we have two L&M stores but sadly, yeah, neither ever gets gets a Proline unless you order it.

The one I go to did once have a Country Gent and I've known the manager for 20 years... Walked in one day, he smiled, said check this out and handed it to me. Had it hanging behind the wall with all the ES-335s and she was nice.

There are too many Gretsches I want. I've got a G5220 arriving in a few weeks and I'm getting it just so I can get the feel of the Jet body because George Harrison is one of the reasons I started playing and I also drool over the GH Duo Jet.

Register Sign in to join the conversation