Modern Gretsch Guitars

Question about receiving a guitar

I have read many posts about the hazards of guitars being shipped and then received and having to take care in opening the box, then the case.

Here's the thing. The guitar is coming from Iowa. The Midwestern deep freeze. It is coming by USPS Priority to Tempe, Arizona. Temperatures this week are in the 70s and will approach 80 by the weekend. We usually get mail in the late afternoon. The guitar will have arrived in Phoenix the night before. Temperatures at night are in the 50s, so it will have done a great deal of acclimating long before it is loaded for delivery.

Then it will be out on a truck all day.

So the question that I have is for a Pro level Gretsch (2005), do you really think that I need to go through all of the rigamarole with opening the box, letting it sit, pull out the case, let it sit, unlatch the case, let it sit, etc?

I would wait 12 hours in the temperature that you are going to open the guitar case in. Better safe than sorry. Although most pro gretsch guitars are poly finish which don't crack as easily as nitro.

Would you rather be safe? Or sorry, Don?

Open it as soon as it gets there if you like the cracks and warps.

I’d remove the case from the box, if the case feels really cold then take a few hours to acclimate. If it feels like room temp then open it up and play it.

I live in a cold place (Wyoming at 7220ft). Here is what I have done over and over again and never had an issue w/ lacquer finished guitars:

Bring the box inside. Take the case out. Leave it in the case for two hours, making sure the case doesn't feel particularly cold on the outside. Open all the latches. Give it an hour. Take it out and play the hell out of it and never think of it again.

My stuff is in and out of cold air a lot living here, and I've never had finish checking. If I leave it in the car overnight, I probably would give it a few hours once I brought it inside.

You don't live in a cold place... I wouldn't give it a second thought if it's been in 50+ temps for hours and hours.*

*as long as the case doesn't feel ice cold for some reason, which I couldn't see happening for you.

Modern lacquer finishes have way more plasticizers in them than vintage ones did - way more forgiving. You might need to be more careful with a vintage instrument... but at that point it's probably checked anyway.

BobL, are you in Laramie?

I'm in Casper and do about the same as you. Get delivery notice from UPS, run home from the office, bring it inside, unbox, let sit in case while I go back to work for a couple hours, get home and feel the case latches and if they're room temp, just open it and don't worry. No problems either and we get just about as cold here.

Well checking usually is from a guitar warming up too fast? I vote for leave in carton for 12 hours. if guitar feels cold still when you open the case, shut it and wait longer.

BobL, are you in Laramie?

I'm in Casper and do about the same as you. Get delivery notice from UPS, run home from the office, bring it inside, unbox, let sit in case while I go back to work for a couple hours, get home and feel the case latches and if they're room temp, just open it and don't worry. No problems either and we get just about as cold here.

– wyowill

Yessir!

Don, I think the safest approach would be to drop-ship it to a safer, more accommodating environment, like, say, my house. Then after I have it all acclimated there, I'll ship it to you in due time. The more gradual temperature change will be much vetter for the instrument, and for your peace of mind.

What Curt said. If you're still a little worried, crack the case open about 1/8 inch over the next couple hours after that. You'll be fine.

It's been long enough. You can take it out and play it now.

– wabash slim

This, Sir, is very funny! : )

– wabash slim

Oh man, that was funny. Wish I could. It may be here tomorrow, it may be Saturday. Or later if the Mailman decides to play it first.

It's here. I checked the box. It was warm. I pulled out the case. It was warm as well. So I followed Brother Curt's advice and went ahead and opened it and it was fine. Looks to be in great shape. Seller had loosened the strings so had to reset the bridge. No biggy. I'll polish it up and take a picture or two and post later today.

Back in 1966-7, I was playing in a high school jazz/stage band. After a concert where we had played, I went back to get my other instrument and performed with the honor band. Afterwards, I came back and the guitar was gone. The Amp was gone. My early 60s Strat had evidently been taken. Or so we thought.

It actually had been put away by the janitor to keep it from being stolen. But I was already looking for a replacement and the band director wanted me playing something a bit more acoustic. So I bought a brand new (one of the few times I had done that) 1966-67 Gretsch Tennessean. I played that for the next 5 years until I foolishly sold it in 1972.

Well, I didn't have an electric again until the 90s and I have and have gone through several. A couple of strats, a tele, a couple of Guilds, a couple of Epiphones and Bear's old 6120DC. I still have many of them and love them. But I have always missed my Tennessean. I have often thought that the Tennessean was the best looking Gretsch guitar and one of the best looking of any brand. I love the deep burgundy/maroon and like the fake f-holes. The pickups sounded fine to me although I would have liked them to produce more volume. But that's why amps have volume controls.

Well, it was the 31st of December, my birthday, and an auction for a 2005 Tennessee Rose 1962-HT was closing. This was about as close as I was going to get to my old Tennessean without having to deal with a vintage guitar. A snipe was posted. Later, I increased my snipe by $70. For a long time, the initial bid I posted looked like it was going to hold. Then, as usual, in the last few seconds, the price shot up to the extent of my last snipe.

Well, the guitar is here and it is in beautiful shape. These are a couple of quick and dirty iPhone pictures.

Few things beat a dream guitar. Congrats

Mine is 2005 also, and I love it. Beautiful guitar, and I have grown to really love the hilotrons.

Congrats on a great guitar!

Congratulations to you, Don. I hope that it is everything that you want it to be.

Congrats Don,i need one of those 6119's ,i don't have ,nor never have owned a Hi-Lo Gretsch !

Isn't immediate removal at differential temps what caused all that glorious checking we see on vintage guitars?

"Vintage" that sucker up...on purpose, simply by opening a "Cold Case."

...------

Isn't immediate removal at differential temps what caused all that glorious checking we see on vintage guitars?

"Vintage" that sucker up...on purpose, simply by opening a "Cold Case."

...------

– indianation65

I had put this neck in my cold car for a couple of hours, then took it into the house, and here's what happened:

I don't know if it was the warm to cold, or cold to warm that did it. It wasn't intentional, but it was actually for sort of a "Closet Classic," aged but not relicked project, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Register Sign in to join the conversation