Modern Gretsch Guitars

Putting TV Jones Classics and wiring harness in 5422

So, I've had my 5422TG for almost a year now, and even though the blacktops aren't bad, I am going to go ahead and install some TV Jones Classics. I want that classic Gretsch sound.

I'm going to order the wiring harness as well from TV Jones and have them wire up the pups before they send them (save me some trouble). I understand that I may have to ream out some of the holes a little bit for the pots and switches to fit, but that's okay.

I may have them add the treble bleed to the master volume as well.

Any other issues I should be aware of? Did I read that some people have had trouble with the selector switch fitting in the 5422 properly? TV Jones says to get the short switch.

Subbed, please take pics, I'm interested in the process!

This is going to be outstanding! 5422s already sound amazing.

Subbed, please take pics, I'm interested in the process!

– Thomas

Ha. Well, I don't know if I'm the best person to be a guitar upgrade guru, but I'll do what I can!

So, I did it! (the pups at least) : here

So, I did it! (the pups at least) : here

– Thomas

Great job Thomas! I've been delayed in getting to mine.

I have an Orange G-5120 I bought new when they first came out that looks & plays great. Although, I have never bonded with the Pickups though & it seldom gets played.

Would it be a major undertaking to upgrade to any of the other Gretsch Pickups??

Not sure if I want to go Filtertrons, TV Jones Classic or a P90 at the Neck & Dyna Sonic at the Bridge (Eddie Cochran)???

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lucky

I have an Orange G-5120 I bought new when they first came out that looks & plays great. Although, I have never bonded with the Pickups though & it seldom gets played.

Would it be a major undertaking to upgrade to any of the other Gretsch Pickups??

Not sure if I want to go Filtertrons, TV Jones Classic or a P90 at the Neck & Dyna Sonic at the Bridge (Eddie Cochran)???

Thanks,

Lucky

– lucky

I've discovered I like pickups with slug magnet pole pieces for neck pickups and bar magnets with screw pole pieces for bridge pickups. I think Eddie Cochran was going for a warm, jazzy tone in his neck pickup. I prefer a spanky, funky neck pickup sound so if I were mod a 5120 with single coil pickups I think I would reverse the Eddie Cochran order and put the P90 in the bridge and the Dynasonic in the neck.

Thanks,

Lucky

– lucky

I had a 5120, and I put TV Jones Classics in it, as others have as well. It was a great-sounding guitar. I highly recommend doing that. I didn't replace the entire wiring harness, just swapped the pickups. Vast improvement.

Thanks,

Lucky

– lucky

I am fairly sure you will be filling and drilling new holes for the bezels. To fit the tv's also might need some spacers for neck angle might be different. Have fun

Need some help here, re: the pickup selector switch orientation:

I'm starting to install the wiring harness and pickups today. Been reviewing this video from TVJ. At about the 8:06 mark he tries to explain which way the selector switch should go, but I don't follow his explanation. How do you know which position activates the bridge vs neck pickup?

Oh, never mind. I figured it out – just plugged the uninstalled harness into my amp and tested it with a screwdriver tapping on the pickups. Genius!!

Hope your using a battery powered amp. Up is neck, down is bridge. I had to widen the pot holes on my '89 6120 when I switched to TVJones wiring. Use high speed drill bits in increments of 64th's to enlarge.

Hope your using a battery powered amp. Up is neck, down is bridge. I had to widen the pot holes on my '89 6120 when I switched to TVJones wiring. Use high speed drill bits in increments of 64th's to enlarge.

– lx

No battery. But I was very careful.

All done with installing the TVJs. I'll post more about the process later - pics and sound files - no time now, got to get ready for 2-week vacation.

But here's the final result.

After I tightened the final screw, I picked up the guitar and heard something sliding around inside. Oops. Somehow 3 washers had been left behind. I think they may be from the output jack and the selector switch. As you'll see in the following picks, they're both poking out a bit far. I'm fairly certain I put the washers on them, but in any event, maybe I'll add them anyway, just to make them both not poke out so far - esp the jack.

See. It's protruding a little more than I'd like. (That's what she said...)

Selector switch. Not too bad, but it could be a little more flush. I used the TV Jones tip.

Okay, here are some pics of the process. I ordered the pups already wired to the harness, and ordered the tube kit from TV Jones for pulling the pots and switches through. Very handy.

Sound samples to follow shortly - before and after.

The dual-screw adapters. The mounts for the Blacktops have two screws on the bass side, while TVJ Classics have only one - so you need these adapters.

Pots and switches out - now to remove the blacktops and fish it all out.

Register Sign in to join the conversation