Modern Gretsch Guitars

PSA: Purple Club Alert

Good price too. I paid $2399 for mine.

That’s a beauty! I find it interesting when Gretsch creates these beautiful guitars with a popping color on the back and a rather understated top.

My Jag Tan Annie has this treatment. Sometimes I wish the top had the vibrant color. Not complaining just a curious observation.

That’s a beauty! I find it interesting when Gretsch creates these beautiful guitars with a popping color on the back and a rather understated top.

My Jag Tan Annie has this treatment. Sometimes I wish the top had the vibrant color. Not complaining just a curious observation.

– Hipbone

I have the same curiosity, HB. The only exception I wouldn't want reversed is the two tone smokey green Annie.....that one is fine IMO. In general, a faded/pale color on the top doesn't blow my skirt up. Finishes with a nice color or are see through tend to pop for me. Sunbursts BTW, don't even make the bottom of my list of finish preferences.

Sunbursts BTW, don't even make the bottom of my list of finish preferences. Windsordave

Dave, I could NOT agree with you more! I have never lusted for ANY sunburst guitar -- ever. Given my age, that is a very long time.

Very nice looking guitar. I have been watching this but have thus far maintained my strength. Really don’t need another guitar and hope someone puts me out of my misery.

That's a cool guitar - and I generally don't care for solid colours!

In general I don't have any hard-and-fast rules about the finish I like on a guitar. I agree in part about 'bursts - but have three Gibsons finished in a burst! While I really don't like a cherry burst my Les Paul has such a dark colour around the edges you couldn't really call it cherry. And it's such a great guitar I really don't care - I might have prefered an all-over honey kinda colour as you see on a lot of Les Pauls but the guitar is so good the colour doesn't bother me at all.

My ES-225 and ES-335 are both in that very dark vintage burst and a VOS finish. They are so authentic looking that they just look "right".

But for a Gretsch I really like natural finishes or a stain. I love the faded orange of my SSLVO. I wish my Jet had a stained top rather than solid black, but the back and sides are beautiful in their stained mahogany.

I have one. I feel ashamed i don’t play it more

I have one. I feel ashamed i don’t play it more

I saw you play it through an Executive at a clinic that you and Gretsch hosted at American Music on Fremont in Seattle a decade or so back.

I was so impressed with what I heard, that I now own the bamboo/copper variant of the same guitar, as well as the amp.

Sadly, I still sound like me.

Perhaps the color combo is what’s holding me back?

Thrive!

Oh, jeez, I had to go read the ad and discover it's got Seymour Duncan Dynasonics. How about I do a quick GoFundMe and each of you flings me a C note, I just need 21 of them, I could probably cover the sales tax.... Nah, probably not a good idea.

I also have one and don't play it as much as I should.

It's kind of too nice to play, y'know? Like mowing the grass in a tuxedo.

Register Sign in to join the conversation