Modern Gretsch Guitars

Price for 6120 with fixed neck

Hello good people! Looking for advice on a purchase I'm thinking of making for a 6120 with a repaired neck.

Seller is listing it for $1500 Canada dollars. Typically, I've seen well used 6120's will sell for about $2000-$2400 Canadian.

What are your thoughts on the price and any potential issues with a repaired neck guitar?

That k's in advance!

We'd probably need to know the nature of the break (or whatever other problem needed repair) and see the repair to say anything intelligent about it.

Neck joint and binding were cracked and repaired by a luthier.

It's not clear what the original problem was, a break or the guitar needed a neck reset. The work doesn't look all that handsome to me, though it may be stable.

What exact model 6120 is it?

I'd pass on that. Too many used and brand new 6120's around, so unless this one is really cheap, I'd say look for a different one.

I'd pass on that. Too many used and brand new 6120's around, so unless this one is really cheap, I'd say look for a different one.

– WB

Curious to know how much you think it should cost to make it worthwhile in your opinion?

Currently, this one is about $700-$900 less than mint condition used models.

It's a 125th anniversary model.

– Tony Palombo

That's not really a model indicator. The model number would be on the paper label inside the body.

Curious to know how much you think it should cost to make it worthwhile in your opinion?

Currently, this one is about $700-$900 less than mint condition used models.

– Tony Palombo

a price that makes you go "holy crap, I'm getting this!" instead of one you have to think about and weigh

a price that makes you go "holy crap, I'm getting this!" instead of one you have to think about and weigh

– WB

What a truly awesome answer!

That actually makes sense.

I feel that this is a good price provided that : a.) the repair is solid and won't cause issues in the future.

b.) i am comfortable keeping it forever as it will likely be tough to sell ever again.

What is giving me pause is that the seller listed it for $2000 last week and just adjusted the price to something more reasonable today. The fact that he thought it was worth the same as a 6120 with no issues, is an indication of a lack of honest assessment and a bit of greed.

If you are patient, you will probably be able to find a used post 2003 standard Filter'tron equipped 6120 in perfect condition for $1800 CAD locally; maybe more for a Dyna'sonic equipped or trestle braced one; at least I've seen them selling for that in the Toronto area. With that type of damage, repaired or not, it is ugly and will surely impact your resale value in the event that you sell it later. Unless you really, really, really, love that particular guitar, I'd suggest taking a pass. The only appeal to me would be to get it for a LOT less.

Assuming there's no instability or unrepaired damage lurking within, just to get that refinned so it looks kosher would be at least 500.00. And even then, you would still know it was damaged goods. And, in fact, the guitar would be damaged goods.

If you'd be perfectly happy with the guitar - and if it actually plays and sounds to suit you - there you go. I wouldn't be, not at 1,500.00. I think that would have to dip under 1,000.00 to interest me. And it still might not. I mean, unless it's incredibly special otherwise. And I don't have enough information to conclude that. We still don't know what model it is.

It's unfortunate it sustained whatever damage it had (which is still unclear). Unfortunately, the repair failed to make the best of a bad situation, and the hit to the guitar's value is almost worse in that the repair is so ugly. I'd rather get that guitar in broken condition (for half what he's asking) and have it properly repaired.

I'm wondering who bothers to repair a pro-line Gretsch that badly. Was the owner quoted a price to do it right, and then ask "well what can you do for 150.00?" I don't know how long I'd stand in line to work with a "luthier" who would let that kind of work out of his shop. If it was an Electromatic or a Streamliner, sure, go cheap.

This wasn't. Now it is.

It doesn't look repaired at all. I'm seeing shatter marks in the poly finish that would have been cleaned up by any competent repair tech. The neck joints on modern Gretsches are quite solid and this looks like the the neck joint was stressed, flexed and went back to it's original position. At least that's what the shatter and binding breaks are saying. Show these pictures to a local repair tech, get an estimate and work your price downward. But like Proteus said, no more than $1K and like Walter said, lotsa used, worry-free Gretsches on the market. You are in the driver's seat.

Assuming there's no instability or unrepaired damage lurking within, just to get that refinned so it looks kosher would be at least 500.00. And even then, you would still know it was damaged goods. And, in fact, the guitar would be damaged goods.

If you'd be perfectly happy with the guitar - and if it actually plays and sounds to suit you - there you go. I wouldn't be, not at 1,500.00. I think that would have to dip under 1,000.00 to interest me. And it still might not. I mean, unless it's incredibly special otherwise. And I don't have enough information to conclude that. We still don't know what model it is.

It's unfortunate it sustained whatever damage it had (which is still unclear). Unfortunately, the repair failed to make the best of a bad situation, and the hit to the guitar's value is almost worse in that the repair is so ugly. I'd rather get that guitar in broken condition (for half what he's asking) and have it properly repaired.

I'm wondering who bothers to repair a pro-line Gretsch that badly. Was the owner quoted a price to do it right, and then ask "well what can you do for 150.00?" I don't know how long I'd stand in line to work with a "luthier" who would let that kind of work out of his shop. If it was an Electromatic or a Streamliner, sure, go cheap.

This wasn't. Now it is.

– Proteus

You're making a while lot of sense!

I think you've just convinced me to pass on it.

Thanks so much!

Can’t say without having the guitar in hand but it looks like the neck angle has been reduced which would make the action higher and limit pressure on the bridge.

Yeah, no. Like stated previously, there are too many clean used 6120s out there for just a bit more $...and you’d have something of value for your money. That repair job looks sub-standard.

That's an ugly and completely unprofessional 'repair'. I wouldn't have anything to do with it. Pass.

S Mac

Please refer to here for details. https://www.allicdata.com/p...

– Michael12345

This seems to be some kind of spam. If so, anything we could do against it (besides voting down)?

Register Sign in to join the conversation