Modern Gretsch Guitars

Pretty great Gibson review…

I kinda want one now.

K

Kontroversial.

I frequently get Gibson GAS, particularly with what they're doing with the 2019 lineup. Then I remember that I don't like Gibson humbuckers or P-90s. Then I think maybe I don't have enough experience with them. Maybe all the ones I've had were just wound too hot and maybe I'd like them better if I tried some boutique lower output vintage-spec replacements. Then I wonder if I want to bother with experimenting with pickups I don't know much about. And then I remember that I could just replace the humbuckers with TV Jones Filters or the P-90s with soapbar T-Armonds. But then I wonder whether they'll sound like I expect them to in a Gibson.

And by the time I'm done with all the remembering and wondering, the GAS has passed.

So, that's why I haven't owned a Gibson in 10 years and have only had two in the last twenty years.

I dunno. I've played some P90 gold tops that I would have died for.

K

I've had a bunch of vintage Gibsons that I wish I'd kept, and a few that I couldn't get rid of quick enough.

I've never owned a proper Les Paul though, but really enjoyed playing Curt's Chambered Custon Shop LP.

Perfectly weighted and a snarling animal of a rock guitar.

That, or something similar, is on my wish list now.

In Tea Burst, of course.

I'm really enjoying my new Gibson Les Paul Classic, it has the 61 Burstbucker pickups. It has killer tone that is keeping a smile on my face. They are expensive functional works of art art, mine has the Cherry Sunburst finish that looks as great as it plays. I included a picture to feed your GAS pains Konrad. Life's too short..........ya know?

Interesting topic...

I don't think I've ever heard someone say that he does not like Gibson humbuckers or the P-90s!

They are both great, and the P-90s can do anything!

I know it's all taste...have a great one forum brothers. IN65

...------

That's a very nice Paul, Wade!

A friend also has a old les Paul with mini humbuckers, and that guitar is mega versatile and sounds unreal. By far one of the best I've ever heard.

I really liked the guitar in the vid though.

K

Interesting topic...

I don't think I've ever heard someone say that he does not like Gibson humbuckers or the P-90s!

They are both great, and the P-90s can do anything!

I know it's all taste...have a great one forum brothers. IN65

...------

– indianation65

I might be the only person who doesn't like either (though I've encountered plenty of people who find Gibson humbuckers too muddy).

Like I said, it's entirely possible that I just haven't tried the right ones. My only real deep experience with the humbuckers was a Norlin era silverburst LP Custom (when it was a used ugly ducking, before that finish became cool again). Way too dull and dark for me. That pretty much permanently turned me off on humbuckers. Many people have told me I need to give low output boutique PAFs a chance, much brighter and articulate. I like the idea, but just haven't been motivated to try them.

P-90s, I've tried a few times, thinking that I would almost have to like them. But there's just something I didn't care for. Sort of middy, roundness, just not enough bite. Again, I have no idea what the specs are of the pickups I tried. Maybe they were overwound modern interpretations and the lower output vintage style would hit the spot. Again, just not motivated to try them.

If I ever played with overdrive/distortion, I'm sure I would have a completely different view. But clean and bright is what I go for, rarely more than just a hint of natural breakup. Gretsches and Fenders seem to be the only guitars that work for me.

As a "review" is mentioned in the title of this thread, is there meant to be a link to this review?

As a "review" is mentioned in the title of this thread, is there meant to be a link to this review?

– knavel

Agreed...I might be "dumb", but I can't figure out just which Gibson we might be discussing!

Agreed...I might be "dumb", but I can't figure out just which Gibson we might be discussing!

– Toddfan

I was a bit confused myself, I thought that the OP might have deleted the link. Anyway......

A great low output humbucker is Fenders Shawbucker. It's a bit more expensive than some other pickups, but worth the cost. I have one on my 2017 Elite Stratocaster, and it's way different than Gibson humbuckers. It was wound to match the outputs of the middle and neck single coil pickups, and it is spanky and trebley, yet can be overdriven very nicely as well. I was very impressed with it, and my hats off to Fender for this amazing Tim Shaw designed humbucker.

Hey--it had a link!

I'll repost it (but prolly not until tomorrow).

K

I frequently get Gibson GAS, particularly with what they're doing with the 2019 lineup. Then I remember that I don't like Gibson humbuckers or P-90s. Then I think maybe I don't have enough experience with them. Maybe all the ones I've had were just wound too hot and maybe I'd like them better if I tried some boutique lower output vintage-spec replacements. Then I wonder if I want to bother with experimenting with pickups I don't know much about. And then I remember that I could just replace the humbuckers with TV Jones Filters or the P-90s with soapbar T-Armonds. But then I wonder whether they'll sound like I expect them to in a Gibson.

And by the time I'm done with all the remembering and wondering, the GAS has passed.

So, that's why I haven't owned a Gibson in 10 years and have only had two in the last twenty years.

– Afire

I am going to use your technique in the future if it can get rid of the GAS for me that would be great. I need to spend more time remembering and wondering what mods I will need to do to "improve" my current GAS item to sound the way I want it too.

I put the link in, but here it is again:

Another "new" Gibson vid.

k

Wish they had a Goldtop with P90s in there though.

k

Wow!!!

They do!!!

K

Lovin' the new P-90 gold top,i just hope they bring back the ES 295 in a more affordable package,it doesn't have to be absolutely spot on vintage correct for me.

But it's unlikely ,as i'm sure it's always been a low volume seller ,compared to Les Paul's.

Register Sign in to join the conversation