Modern Gretsch Guitars

pre-FMIC Spec Jets with U neck

Has anyone played one? I'm curious how it compares with a modern FMIC Pro-line jet.

How fat is the Gretsch U neck? What is the closest comparison on another guitar?

Thanks!

I have a 1996 6129 and a custom shop Penguin. If that helps I can play both after the kids are asleep and tell you what I think.

I don't know if it's a fair comparison but the neck on my modern Penguin has more meat and makes it easier to stretch on something like Blackbird by the Beatles. Barre chords and cowboy chords felt similar on both necks. The beefier neck on the Penguin is a bit more comfortable for my hands. Both guitars have the same strings and comparible action. Same nut width as well.

Don't know if this helps but it can't hurt.

Thanks. I was looking at a new Gretsch that claims to have the old pre FMIC specs and a "U neck". So it sounds like a limited edition run they did with the old specs. I'm just wondering how thick and different that neck is compared with the pro-line.

There is no way in hell they did a new Jet with pre-FMIC specs. I'd be astounded.

There are HUGE differences, and Gretsch has been moving farther and farther away lately, as more and more are getting properly chambered.

It's not just the chambering, either, although that's huge. PreFMIC Gretsches in general differ in a lot of ways.

I have a Pre-Fender Silver Falcon and a Pre-Fender 6122jr. Those necks seem to be thinner than any current proline I've played. They are nice playing guitars, and I love to play them. But as mentioned, nothing like the new stuff.....

This is the jet in question: https://reverb.com/item/279...

It says "U neck" -- any idea what that is on there and how it compares to the modern duo jet type necks? They mention pre-FMIC specs.

The vendor is Chicago Music Exchange and they have been making a lot of mistakes in their listings lately; e.g. referring to HiloTrons as humbuckers, Dynasonics as Filtertrons and such. That's a Jet Firebird FSR; I'd be asking here if there are any owners of that specific model. The only "u" or "d" shaped necks I'm aware of were done in the '56-'61 era.

I thought that, too, but other vendors list it: https://reverb.com/item/260...

Every vendor I have seen has listed it that way. It must be on the specs the dealer gets from Gretsch. There were only 16 made according to the listings, so it will probably difficult to find someone who has one.

There is no way in hell they did a new Jet with pre-FMIC specs. I'd be astounded.

There are HUGE differences, and Gretsch has been moving farther and farther away lately, as more and more are getting properly chambered.

It's not just the chambering, either, although that's huge. PreFMIC Gretsches in general differ in a lot of ways.

– Baxter

They actually did Bax, I was as astounded as you are now, and I remember posting about it then over here. I don't get it either, but there are quite a few things people seem to like/want that I don't get.

Gmascis, all the pre-FMIC Gretsches I've played had fairly flat oval, generic neck shapes. Nothing exciting.

What?! So this is a 2014 Terada with: Pre-FMIC three piece neck (with no fingerboard extension), pre-FMIC dark back (weird heel though, pre-FMICs were flat) and pre-FMIC control covers. Plus humpblocks with Filtertrons and finally...a Firebird with a horseshoe on the headstock?!

This makes my head hurt...

What?! So this is a 2014 Terada with: Pre-FMIC three piece neck (with no fingerboard extension), pre-FMIC dark back (weird heel though, pre-FMICs were flat) and pre-FMIC control covers. Plus humpblocks with Filtertrons and finally...a Firebird with a horseshoe on the headstock?!

This makes my head hurt...

– Aaron75

Haha. I know. And no Bigsby. I saw it and was confused. You guys shed some light, but I'm still confused. For some reason it's intriguing, but it might be awful. "U neck" means what exactly? I always associate a Fender U neck with a thick/old chunky neck, but this one's neck looks thin.

Having gone on the record as liking my pre-FMIC jet necks (for the thin-ness), I'm not sure what a "U" neck is to begin with, since neither of my jets would have what I call a "U" neck? I think I have a french curve floating around here to tighten up my description of what mine have - I'll see if I can figure out where it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation