Modern Gretsch Guitars

Possible Pickup Upgrades/Swaps for Filtertrons

Hey guys! So some of you may have seen my earlier post.. I have two Gretsch guitars, a 2012 Country Gentleman II and 2007 Green Sparkle Jet.

I fully intend to keep both of them! (Unless I end up trading towards a White Falcon) but I want them to be different tonally. While I know there is some difference between the two, they have identical pickups.

I'd love to possibly change the pups in the Jet out to something different. They have the HS Filters in them, and the two guitars just sound too similar, so I'd love to find something new. I play worship guitar mostly, as I work for a church, so I don't need anything that roars. Any suggestions to look into? I know about TVs but I'd prefer something else to look at as well! Thanks in advance!

The most different you could get - and remain in the Gretsch domain - would be T-Armonds (in Filter'Tron form factor). TV can put virtually anything in a Filter'Tron case to fit your guitar without mods - but the T-Armond Dynasonic type would give you the most contrast within Gretschdom, as well as the greatest Gretsch range between your two guitars.

That, and a Jet with Dynasonics is certifiably the Best Guitar Ever Invented.

"That, and a Jet with Dynasonics is certifiably the Best Guitar Ever Invented."

I'll second that.

Tooting my own horn here, but I make Filtertron sized pickups that work with a 6 position rotary to give you three single coil and three humbucking configurations that cover a lot of sonic territory. I call them Off Kiltertrons. Demo video below

Hey guys! So some of you may have seen my earlier post.. I have two Gretsch guitars, a 2012 Country Gentleman II and 2007 Green Sparkle Jet.

I fully intend to keep both of them! (Unless I end up trading towards a White Falcon) but I want them to be different tonally. While I know there is some difference between the two, they have identical pickups.

I'd love to possibly change the pups in the Jet out to something different. They have the HS Filters in them, and the two guitars just sound too similar, so I'd love to find something new. I play worship guitar mostly, as I work for a church, so I don't need anything that roars. Any suggestions to look into? I know about TVs but I'd prefer something else to look at as well! Thanks in advance!

– CHalbach72

Fellow church wurshup muso here.. from a jet perspective have you thought of retrofit P90's? This is based off a vintage roundup body (jet) w a 3/8" thick redwood top but the body is honduran mahogany as is the neck w ebony fretboard. So jet. give a listen w the TVjones T-90s . (he makes them in filter mounts too)

https://scontent-lax3-1.cdn...

https://www.instagram.com/p...

Tooting my own horn here, but I make Filtertron sized pickups that work with a 6 position rotary to give you three single coil and three humbucking configurations that cover a lot of sonic territory. I call them Off Kiltertrons. Demo video below

– Mel Waldorf

I got an Offkiltertron in the bridge of a Jet. The Powertron position sounded identical to the real thing in my Billy Bo. Spooky! So you get six setups from the one pup, ranging from Hilotrons, teles, Dynas and Filtertrons. What's not to like? Great for tinkerers like me too

– Mel Waldorf

Might be the most amazing thing I've ever seen.....I should say childbirth, but this might be cooler.

Register Sign in to join the conversation