Modern Gretsch Guitars

Pickups recommendation for a PowerJet

I´ve recently traded a 1974 Strat (not entirely original) for a 2008 Firebird PowerJet. No regrets, i love the Jet.

But the PowerTrons are a little hot for me, and when i say a little a mean a lot. So i´ve been thinking on a swap. BUT i have a 1973 Double Annie with TV Classic and Classic Plus, a home-made Cabronita with the HiLos taken from the Annie, an this Coronado with T-Armonds. Pretty much all the options covered.

I want to stay true to the Jet but it would be nice to have new sounds as well. Another set of T-Armonds (which i love)? MagnaTrons? Choices choices.

What do you guys think?

May I vote for the rather new T-Armond in Filtertron housing for the neck plus a TV Classic for the bridge position? Versatile tone and best of both worlds.

May I vote for the rather new T-Armond in Filtertron housing for the neck plus a TV Classic for the bridge position? Versatile tone and best of both worlds.

– sascha

Thanks Sascha, that´s interesting . I never thought about mixing humbuckers/single coils. In any case i would thought exactly the opposite: T-Armond bridge and Classic neck.

I'm curious about a Powertron bridge and a Magnatron neck.

I vote for T'Armonds in a Filter mount.

Magnatrons are great.

Magnatrons and T-Armonds are winning

And what would you think about P90, Charlie Christian, Wide Range, etc.?

Boring, I know - but I can't go past a pair of classics in my Jet. I have a Power Jet and found exactly the same thing. So in went the classics and they are staying. I have tried a TV Jones T90 in the bridge - very good but kinda like a Classic without the character. And I like P90s.

I have also tried T-Armonds in there. Great pickups! But still, I love the honkin' mids of the Classics. The T-Armonds just sounded like a thinner version in some ways. I can see the attraction because the bass strings are amazing, but still I like the Classics. I have even tried Magna'trons - not in the Jet, but in a 6120. Beautiful sound, but perhaps a little light in the low end for me.

Why dont try out the new Duo Trons? The have the looks aaand the sounds Or maybe some TVJ P90s to give the jet a little twist

Like this?? Actually this guitar now has Classics in it. But the Duotrons are great pickups - good call.

Would that make it a duoduojet?

Why dont try out the new Duo Trons? The have the looks aaand the sounds Or maybe some TVJ P90s to give the jet a little twist

– ChimingBell

According to TVJ site those are a bit hotter than the Classics (sort of a Supertron/Classic Plus mix). I have Classic/Classic Plus in a Gretsch (a Double Annie) and they are in the limit of "heat" i´d like. But maybe not, and/or they sound different on a solidbody. I´ll do some research.

As for T90s they are candidates, but i don´t see a set but only one. Bridge? Maybe a Cochran?

Boring, I know - but I can't go past a pair of classics in my Jet. I have a Power Jet and found exactly the same thing. So in went the classics and they are staying. I have tried a TV Jones T90 in the bridge - very good but kinda like a Classic without the character. And I like P90s.

I have also tried T-Armonds in there. Great pickups! But still, I love the honkin' mids of the Classics. The T-Armonds just sounded like a thinner version in some ways. I can see the attraction because the bass strings are amazing, but still I like the Classics. I have even tried Magna'trons - not in the Jet, but in a 6120. Beautiful sound, but perhaps a little light in the low end for me.

– JimmyR

Not at all! If the Classics on my Double Annie weren´t english mount they´d be on the PowerJet already.

I´d really want to hear a Charlie Christian on the neck position!

Would that make it a duoduojet?

– JimmyR

QuadraJet? TetraJet?

Like this?? Actually this guitar now has Classics in it. But the Duotrons are great pickups - good call.

– JimmyR

Yeah, I like that very much. The matte finish on these pickups looks awesome! And for the name of the jet - Since theres a Chet - Jet why don't call it Paul (Yandell)-Jet and praise him for inventing the DuoTrons.

"The Yandell Axe"... Great

I made up my mind. I´ll go for a T-Armond for the bridge position. And for the neck i´ll use a Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian. I have a custom VVCC that Pete Biltoft made for me, humbucker sized but with no ears, sort of a soapbar P90 mount. I planned to use it in a Tele project but i guess i could use a Wide Range there

I made up my mind. I´ll go for a T-Armond for the bridge position. And for the neck i´ll use a Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian. I have a custom VVCC that Pete Biltoft made for me, humbucker sized but with no ears, sort of a soapbar P90 mount. I planned to use it in a Tele project but i guess i could use a Wide Range there

– cutipaste

Late to the party here but I was also going to recommend the Duotrons. I might buy a used jet just for the purpose of getting them. However, anything Charlie Christian is a darn good move. Good luck!

Industrial velvet is the name of the duo tron finish in the picture I think

Sorry to resurrect this thread but its necessary to tell the ending of the story. I finally put a set of Magnatrons. It turned out great, but a couple of months later i had to sell that guitar. Still missing it

Register Sign in to join the conversation