Modern Gretsch Guitars

Opinions, Please

I'm a Hilo'tron guy, and even love the newer Blacktops, but the HS Filter'trons in my 2006 Nashville 6120 are a bit too big and loud for my taste right now.

Do I get used to them and have that guitar as my "for that sound" guitar, or would it be wrong to change the pickups? Do I find a Tennessean to trade it for?

What would you do?..... just curious.

How high do you have the poles set at? Perhaps lowering them might help. I'm sure Toxophilite can help you out.

It's not wrong to change the pickups. It's your guitar. If you like the Blacktops you could install them, sell the HS Filtertrons and make a profit.

I cranked them down pretty low. Much louder than my Corvette's HS. Just bugging me lately.

You like the click, clank and chirp of the HiloTron.

Magnatron is the pickup for people who like the idea of Filtertrons but deep in their hearts know they prefer single coils. It's got 'more' yet with all the percussive precision retained- it's the one for you Sean.

As an aside, I sit and play 'See Me' quite a lot on my guitar. Maybe you'd consider sending the lyric so I get it right. It's a song I really enjoy.

ade is right, as he never isn't. The Maggie is a magnificent pickup.

But it's also pretty punchyloud, so you'd have to consider that.

I find that when I turn the amp up, HiLos respond more like "other pickups." Maybe if you turn the amp DOWN a little when you plug in the 6120 - and roll off a little low end - you'll be more comfortable with it.

ade is right, as he never isn't. The Maggie is a magnificent pickup.

But it's also pretty punchyloud, so you'd have to consider that.

I find that when I turn the amp up, HiLos respond more like "other pickups." Maybe if you turn the amp DOWN a little when you plug in the 6120 - and roll off a little low end - you'll be more comfortable with it.

– Proteus

I think you nailed it there. Most of my guitars are in the single coil, low output world. I suppose that I beef up the amp to make up for the thinner pickups. Unbeef when I play the 6120 and I'd be good. ......however I like the idea of having a pickup named "Magnetron"....

You like the click, clank and chirp of the HiloTron.

Magnatron is the pickup for people who like the idea of Filtertrons but deep in their hearts know they prefer single coils. It's got 'more' yet with all the percussive precision retained- it's the one for you Sean.

As an aside, I sit and play 'See Me' quite a lot on my guitar. Maybe you'd consider sending the lyric so I get it right. It's a song I really enjoy.

– ade

Thanks for the ideas! Sure, I'll see if I can remember the words. Thanks! Now If I could get you to sell me a cd of your music on soundcloud I'd be thrilled! I need to get that stuff on cd-r as it's the perfect music to listen to as I drive up north to my hometown on weekends.

As much as I love the Magnatron, I don't think you're gonna like it. It really is a Filtertronned ("Humperdinkered" as John Lennon would say) Dynasonic. "Punchyloud" as Tim described it really is true. Maybe Super HiloTrons? Or go with some TVJones HiLo's.

Nothing wrong with trying different pickups. I've gone from Filter'trons to TV Jones Classics, TV Jones HTs and back to Filter'trons in my 6118. My only advice is to keep the originals around so you have an option down the road should you want something different.

Nothing wrong with trying different pickups. I've gone from Filter'trons to TV Jones Classics, TV Jones HTs and back to Filter'trons in my 6118. My only advice is to keep the originals around so you have an option down the road should you want something different.

– Journeyman

Good idea. Now I need to think of what to sell to get new pickups to try out!

How about a treble bleed and turn your volume down at th guitar?

Hilotrons are my favourite pickups, Very pretty sounding. THere's nothing wrong with swapping pickups around in any guitar. Gretsch makes a new hilotron don't they? If you put little risers under either end(use small pieces of wood, or even several layers of dense cardboard you can make them sit in filtertron cavities no problem.You basically just need to bring the ends of the cavity (on top of the braces up level with the top. Here's my mid 60s country club restoration with 60s hilotrons mounted just as I said, They sound great. It originally would've had vintage filtertrons, It came with TV Jones classic filtertrons that I've since sold.

I agree with Proteus. I would try adjusting your amp first. I have a cheat sheet stuck in the bottom of my amp. I have different settings written down for each guitar. I like having several different guitars with differing pick ups. To me, It's like having different colored crayons in the box.

So, how about the rosewood base bridge. There are alot of bridges out there. Is this worth keeping?

Oh yeah this is on a 5420 , and what about a glass bridge. For a different sound. Good or bad

Oh yeah this is on a 5420 , and what about a glass bridge. For a different sound. Good or bad

The Glass Tru-Arc on my Falcon brings clarity to each and every string individually. Very nice tones.

Sean,

I did a quick cut of your song 'See Me', just guitar and vocal. The guitar has a Magnatron treble pickup, duly enabled for this.

https://soundcloud.com/thre...

Hope you forgive the chutzpah and don't find it too strange hearing someone else doing your song. I'll take it back down as soon as you say so!

For anyone else listening, check out Sean's beautiful cut of his song here-

https://andhow1.bandcamp.co...

I change pups like shirts myself, BUT before you do, try this:

Lower the pup WAY down (at least flush with the guitar body), screw the 'inside' coil screws as far down into the pup as they will go, and raise the 'outer' coil screws up at least a good 1/4 inch above the pup case.

Does that get you there? To thin it out even more you can actually remove the inner coil screws completely.

Not my idea; this is a Lindy Fralin trick

Sean,

I did a quick cut of your song 'See Me', just guitar and vocal. The guitar has a Magnatron treble pickup, duly enabled for this.

https://soundcloud.com/thre...

Hope you forgive the chutzpah and don't find it too strange hearing someone else doing your song. I'll take it back down as soon as you say so!

For anyone else listening, check out Sean's beautiful cut of his song here-

https://andhow1.bandcamp.co...

– ade

Thanks ADE, what an honor. You killed it! Great rendition!

Hilotrons are my favourite pickups, Very pretty sounding. THere's nothing wrong with swapping pickups around in any guitar. Gretsch makes a new hilotron don't they? If you put little risers under either end(use small pieces of wood, or even several layers of dense cardboard you can make them sit in filtertron cavities no problem.You basically just need to bring the ends of the cavity (on top of the braces up level with the top. Here's my mid 60s country club restoration with 60s hilotrons mounted just as I said, They sound great. It originally would've had vintage filtertrons, It came with TV Jones classic filtertrons that I've since sold.

– Toxophilite

That looks great! Do you have a nylon saddle on there? Does the Bigsby chew it up much?

I told you I liked that song!

Rhythmisking's suggestion of offsetting the two rows of pole screws is excellent. You can experiment with which row you want to keep high- the ones near the bridge or the row nearest the neck. The combing of the midrange is subtly yet perceptively altered. There was a fashion a couple of years back to split the rows on the 5120 Gretschbuckers to give the pickup a bit more personality.

Have a go, you might hit on something just right for you.

I change pups like shirts myself, BUT before you do, try this:

Lower the pup WAY down (at least flush with the guitar body), screw the 'inside' coil screws as far down into the pup as they will go, and raise the 'outer' coil screws up at least a good 1/4 inch above the pup case.

Does that get you there? To thin it out even more you can actually remove the inner coil screws completely.

Not my idea; this is a Lindy Fralin trick

– Rhythmisking

Cool idea. I'll give that a shot!

– Toxophilite

Just a minor addition, but if you're using modern HiloTrons, there's no need for shimming. They are already deep like FilterTrons.

Register Sign in to join the conversation