Modern Gretsch Guitars

OK To Remove Pick Guard?

No, never, absolutely not. Are you kidding? That's where structural support comes from for that area of the top which is most subject to your hammering and thrashing about on the strings.

I’d say no, as that is where the string oilers are located. Kids these days!

I didn't even know you could take it off. Sounds risky to me. Might be no going back ..... Next thing you know, folks will be talking about taking the strings off ~~~~

Pull that thing off like a prom dress!!

Most of my guitars are going commando these days... it’s liberating!

What was good-natured joking was apparently perceived as mockery and the original post was deleted. In case no one noticed, the GDP needs new members who post on the site rather than merely lurk. I hope that the OP will stick around and continue to post while understanding that no ill will was intended.

Hey, come on - it's reasonable question for someone who possibly has never done it. I missed the original post but would have only suggested not over-tightening the screws when-and-if it's put back in place.

As the OP started this 10 years and 7 months ago, he or she has probably moved on.

I hope who ever it was knows we are just having a good time with this. The original post was deleted after the first response, which was not all that remarkable in the way of poking fun?
Not sure why someone would “post and dash” so quickly? Seems no one stooped to any kind of “lowness,” have we?

No, I don't think that the remarks were low blows. And, if the original post was deleted after the first post by wasbashslim, then perhaps the explanation is that he learned that there was no problem in removing it and so he left answer in hand after deleting the post (some people think that these threads or posts are taking up bandwidth or creating visual clutter).

The Lucite Gretsch pickguard is a work of art! It's one of the features that I've always loved on Gretsches. I perfectly understand if someone doesn't need or want the guard, and it's perfectly acceptable to remove it, but to me it's like driving a car without hubcaps.

I think it was a zombie thread whose guts were dissolved in the great crash of a few years ago and W. Slim was just having fun with it. The date on the post is 10 years, 7 months ago.

Okay - but now I don’t understand why zombies don’t like pickguards.

What was good-natured joking was apparently perceived as mockery and the original post was deleted. In case no one noticed, the GDP needs new members who post on the site rather than merely lurk. I hope that the OP will stick around and continue to post while understanding that no ill will was intended.

– Ric12string

There never was a prior post, just the title and a blank screen. It happens often enough, just like the video game posts. The "original poster", BASVDP, just joined today, and has no info on the community page. Bogus all around.

I think Marty McFly was the OP.

Once my mom glued a pick guard to my nose.

It didn't help.

Only if you're really really cool!

Am I the only person on the planet who actually PREFERS pick guards? It’s not even like I am all that worried about the finish. I just like the feeling of resting my ring and pinky fingers on it.

Do we have a facepalm emoticon?

Am I the only person on the planet who actually PREFERS pick guards? It’s not even like I am all that worried about the finish. I just like the feeling of resting my ring and pinky fingers on it.

– Junior Q Man (Ryan M)

Some brands actually refer to the pick guard as a finger rest.

My name is Sascha and I love pickguards.

Im not anti pick guard. I did remove it from my 125th Jag Tan Annie. Just seemed a shame to cover up the f-hole. I rest my pinky on the bottom of the bridge pickup. It feels right at home in that spot.
My other guitars including my Penguin have retained their guards.

Register Sign in to join the conversation