Modern Gretsch Guitars

Ok Friends, who else has a Setzer Smoke? I’m still in the honeymoon…

Share your thoughts... the neck on this thing is better than anything I've ever played including Setzer's own guitar!

I don't own one, but did get to play a Smoke in a store. Yes, it was an impressive instrument. I liked that it was light and very lively. The neck felt great and the rolled edges of the fingerboard were subtle. I had a Godin once that had rolled fingerboard edges and the high E string kept slipping off the fingerboard. The Smoke didn't have that problem. For me, it's not an important feature; I'm fine with standard fingerboard edges, but at least they did it right. My impression was that it had a great vintage feel, without the usual issues associated with 50-60 year old guitars.

Tavo, you are very special to have tried his guitar because I don't think he lets anyone touch it but him and his tech. I may be wrong on that but I hear something like that.

HOLY SMOKE TAVO! Beautiful guitar - aside from the neck, how was it compared to you treasured 99 SSU?

I don't own one, but did get to play a Smoke in a store. Yes, it was an impressive instrument. I liked that it was light and very lively. The neck felt great and the rolled edges of the fingerboard were subtle. I had a Godin once that had rolled fingerboard edges and the high E string kept slipping off the fingerboard. The Smoke didn't have that problem. For me, it's not an important feature; I'm fine with standard fingerboard edges, but at least they did it right. My impression was that it had a great vintage feel, without the usual issues associated with 50-60 year old guitars.

– Journeyman

Didn’t notice the rolled off edge, Do u have a close up pic?

It looks great, but what's the biggest difference between that and the previous setzer version? The rolled edges on the neck?

Register Sign in to join the conversation