Modern Gretsch Guitars

Odd Finishes

coming out of the spruce club thread, i was thinking about gretsch guitars that have non-spec finishes from the factory. the 'oops' models of country clubs, special orders from guitar shops, limited production models.... what's out there?

i am pretty sure i remember a caddy green '59 gent, along with the more recent orange ones. the black tennesse roses..

have there been any natural falcons?

doublecut gents?

and to get this thread off on the right foot, here's a pic of my club.

MDW... nice one.. i had no idea that a gretsch 'j-45' was even out there. is it from terada?

^ No,it's part of the Historic Series...Korea guessing.Has the old Savanna label with just a model #.Bought it at an estate sale several years ago for $200 w/a Gretsch case.Nobody knows nothing of it.The maple on this sounds just as sweet as my Montanna built Dove.

ollkorrect- That is exactly the Club I wanted. I couldn't find one anywhere. I love the burst finish. Dyna clubs are amazing guitars. You have excellent taste.

Some of the Gretsch Historic acoustics are fantastic guitars. Some are not such sweet singers. That acoustic dreadnaught is very pretty indeed. How does she sound?

^ Warm & rich sounding but loud.I installed a LR Baggs system in it a few years back and play it through my Deville.

How about a 1992 Double Cutaway Black Falcon #26 of 100.

I guess this as good a time as any to brag about my black penguin (again)... !

Nice!!!! When I bought my Penguin I was seriously considering the red sparkle top from Rainbow....but it had Filters.

Nice!!!! When I bought my Penguin I was seriously considering the red sparkle top from Rainbow....but it had Filters.

– Michael Williams

I'd like to A/B this penguin and a pro-model penguin to see what the difference is overall. My opinion on CS Gretsches is that you're not missing out as such if you get a pro model instead, but the CS is well worth the money. That's more a testament to the build quality of Terada guitars more than anything.

I'd like to A/B this penguin and a pro-model penguin to see what the difference is overall. My opinion on CS Gretsches is that you're not missing out as such if you get a pro model instead, but the CS is well worth the money. That's more a testament to the build quality of Terada guitars more than anything.

– JoseValentino

– JoseValentino

That's kinda the impression I had.I had checked on getting a Penguin and all I wanted was a swap from the G tailpiece to a Bigsby but it would have to be CS...which was fine til the rep said a 11-13 month wait! So I did everything I wanted to a pro-model.

I don't like waiting either. I always regretted not pulling the trigger on this: http://www.drumcityguitarla... I was considering getting one made, but then that sparkle green penguin came up and I like shiny things and hate waiting.

Wow. I didn't realize Drum City Guitarland was a Gretsch dealer. That's not too far away, I'll have to drop by sometimes to see some different models. Cool!

Register Sign in to join the conversation