Modern Gretsch Guitars

Nut string spacing question (RHH)

I think an excellent description of how to cut a nut that fits everything that was discussed here can be found here lutherie.net/nuts.html. The comparison with the horn’s bell and the illustration are very useful.

that was 77 years ago! Someone knew what they were doing, eh?

We persist in the instinctive fallacies that we’re somehow smarter than our forbears, and that progress in the technology we casually access has made us somehow superior. Actually most of us understand less about the mechanical world around us than did the average bear of previous generations. I don’t suppose our inherent aptitude has diminished, but most us haven’t developed the habit for close observation and practical analysis that once was common.

Also, physics tends not to change.

I think an excellent description of how to cut a nut that fits everything that was discussed here can be found here lutherie.net/nuts.html. The comparison with the horn’s bell and the illustration are very useful.

– blueflame

Good stuff!

that was 77 years ago! Someone knew what they were doing, eh?

We persist in the instinctive fallacies that we’re somehow smarter than our forbears, and that progress in the technology we casually access has made us somehow superior. Actually most of us understand less about the mechanical world around us than did the average bear of previous generations. I don’t suppose our inherent aptitude has diminished, but most us haven’t developed the habit for close observation and practical analysis that once was common.

Also, physics tends not to change.

– Proteus

I would say disposability and the lack of a need for self-sufficiency has let us NOT develop the skills necessary to repair and fix our own possessions and domiciles. Also frankly it just hasn't been in fashion. In my family we always built things. We spent a lot of time making our own toys and fixing our own stuff. We lived in the city but there were tools at hand and a general attitude of that's what you did. We thought t was fun!

Now you see people calling themselves 'makers' because they've started making their own items, which is of course a good thing but it's funny how it's something that has always been around, just renamed.

Personally I don't think guitar building knowledge has been lost, there are many many luthiers hand-making instruments in what is largely a very traditional manner. Guitar building is a very traditional craft.

I think there is just less of an inclination to fix things oneself, especially as many things are plastic and 'disposable' (funny how 'disposable' things are usually made out of things that almost NEVER deteriorate, like plastic). We are practically taught you have to be a highly trained expert to do anything.

Register Sign in to join the conversation