Modern Gretsch Guitars

not full of “S”

This eBay listing gave me a giggle. The seller is in Russia so maybe I should allow them a little slack... but it's still the most ironic thing I've seen today!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Se...

If your selling a decal of the "Gretsch" logo... how do you mis-spell the word Gretsch in your listing??

Or the word "you're" in your post?

Post withdrawn.

Post withdrawn.

– lx

Putin wants to be Tsar, pure and simple. Being in the KGB gave him great training. Even tho the official flag is white, red, and blue bars, some have started using that with the old Imperial double headed eagle on it. Considering that Putin is unofficially the richest man in the world (estimated---he won't show his tax returns), he's well on his way to be the next Tsar.

Naturally it’s a Russian.

Probably one of Putin’s thugs out to influence a gullible American....

How far will they go?

I blame Wayne Gretschski.

(Not really - I only said that because of his misspelt name. I don't actually know who he is. I felt misspelling his name was in the spirit of this thread.)

I blame Wayne Gretschski.

(Not really - I only said that because of his misspelt name. I don't actually know who he is. I felt misspelling his name was in the spirit of this thread.)

– JimmyR

Even where you live you should know of Wayne Gretzky. The greatest player of all time in their given sport is usually known even when not followed worldwide.

Dammit, guys, give it a rest. Ed didn't post anything remotely political. He didn't mean "Russian" as a slam; it could have been any non-Murkin nationality. And for that matter, I've seen far worse abuse of the English language, and stupider mistakes, from plenty of Americans. On this site, for that matter. And let's not forget that there's at least one Gretsch guitar out there, pretty well vetted as authentic, with the logo mispelled on the headstock.

The few experiences I've had with Russians doing business on the internet - on legitimate sites - have been extremely positive. I don't fear that because I bought a clone of an out-of-production 60s American pedal from a Russian that my welfare or identity are at risk. The Russians I've dealt haven't been scammers, just free-enterprisers trying to make an honest buck. We can understand that, can't we?

Oh I agree entirely Prot. I was trying to change the subject back to silliness with my attempt. I only remember the name Gretzky because it always reminds me of Gretsch. And it sounds vaguely Russian/eastern European... And I like Slavic people - I married one!

I have bought stuff off ebay from Russia. The last thing I bought was a bunch of Germanium transistors. When it arrived I googled the address of the sender to see exactly where it had come from - Tomsk. Tomsk is in deepest Siberia. The cost of postage is laughable from an Aussie perspective. I couldn't post a letter from one side of Australia to the other for what postage from Tomsk to deepest Australia cost! I looked up the address on streetview and felt a bit sad for the seller - Tomsk (at least on streetview, which can make anywhere look miserable) looks a bit dire. It makes me very grateful to have all of my problems and woes in a country like Australia.

And at the risk of being unpopular - the only bad ebay deals I have ever had have been with US vendors. Doesn't make me badmouth Americans though. Everywhere has it's A-holes. There are plenty in Australia! And Russian Ge trannies are wonderful.

– JimmyR

Ha! My mother is a former English teacher and has been torturing me over stuff like that for decades!

Boy... this thread definitely took an unexpected turn. Sorry 'bout that. Proteus is correct (as usual), I was simply recognizing that the seller on the auction was from a non-English speaking country, so a grammatical mistake might be more reasonable to expect. The term "Russia" was used as a general descriptor of where people who speak Russian come from, but of course that was a mischaracterization... my bad on that too.

The whole point was that the word that was spelled incorrectly... WAS the actual product being auctioned. It was right there in front of them as they wrote the listing. I dunno... maybe I just expect too much.

As far as the Wayne Gretzky reference... don't mess with the Great One!

– JimmyR

I am by no means an authority on English but isn’t that the possessive form of the word and correct in this application? “You’re” is an abbreviation of “you are” which doesn’t fit Or did I miss something and it was edited..,,.nevermind

I am by no means an authority on English but isn’t that the possessive form of the word and correct in this application? “You’re” is an abbreviation of “you are” which doesn’t fit Or did I miss something and it was edited..,,.nevermind

– paul pigat

My thoughts exactly!

– paul pigat

I think "you're" (short for you are) is the correct usage for the original post... in may haste I used "your", which I've left in place uncorrected in that post so that these subsequent comments make sense to those reading them.

I think "you're" (short for you are) is the correct usage for the original post... in may haste I used "your", which I've left in place uncorrected in that post so that these subsequent comments make sense to those reading them.

– kc_eddie_b

Its alright, Ed!

Thanks Ed! "You're" is correct. Sorry to be a grammar nazi! It was the only thing I got right at school.

Don't sweat it Ed, correcting stuff like that is what editors are for

Register Sign in to join the conversation