Modern Gretsch Guitars

NgmP90GGD - or - Streamlined!

I see a dark, but still see-through guard on it, giving a black effect, but not solid black like black paint More like the back window of a famous person's limo. Black-ish? But still transparent.

Hmm. I thought of just clear, but trans dark is interesting. Smoked, as it were. Maybe with a light pinstriped perimeter border, and of course the Gretsch logo...or maybe "Streamliner" in an elegant mid-century modern script.

The tort looks GREAT on the CAR version, though.

– Proteus

Betcha a trans-dark pickguard would tie the black knobs in visually too!

I'd loose the gold and the tort, but what do I know?

That's a fine looking guitar and you can't go wrong with a set of P-90s. Congrats!

Is it intervention time yet?

Slander and calumny! I hadn't bought a new guitar in MONTHS.

Besides, I'm over it. I've passed peak GAS. There are only 2, maybe 3 guitars I can even think of still wanting. Well, maybe 4. OK, 5 - if we count the Duane 6-string Bass there's virtually no chance I'll ever dollar up to.

But I have a guitar up on Reverb now, and am reasonably partially rationally hesitantly begrudgingly somewhat firmly committed to a one-in, one-out policy going forward.

I, for one, am curious to know what the other 4 dream guitars are, especially considering you're already mentioning them in a post about the guitar you just bought yesterday.

Shoot no, I've had that guitar for well over a week! I just told about it now.

And I don't know that the others are dream guitars, they're just still ... interesting to me. (And by interesting, I mean they have some combination of build and pickups I haven't previously had. That alchemy still fascinates me.)

But OK, they are, in more or less order of interest priority and conviction ...
• Ventures-model Mosrite or clone
• a secret build I don't want to reveal yet
• the 25th Anniversary GDP Jet, if it happens (and is affordable); this is a sentimental (and, I hope, aesthetic) choice, as I already have Dyna Jet(s).

Much lower on the motivation meter:
• the Electromatic 5665 Jr centerblocker (https://www.gretschguitars....), because I played the one Jody Porter won at the Nashville Roundup, and was smitten with its compact size, rockin' attitude, and value - but a low priority because I have no earthly need for it. (A Broadkaster Jr centerblocker might scratch the same itch, but for so much more scratch it doesn't make me itchy.)

The fifth could actually be 5, 6, and 7 - but they're so hard to justify at their price they seem little more than pipe dreams.
• a 16" faux-f-hole doublecut Gretsch with FilterTrons (like the 6120DC, 6620, or similar Broadkaster)
• the new Steve Wariner Nashville Gent: I love the hybrid spec, pickups, and the fact that it's standard with a Tru-Arc
• the Duane Eddy 6-string bass 6120

I quite like the gold with that finish.

And in my opinion the tort pickguard complements the rosewood fretboard.

Cream-colored knobs would be nice, though, to match the pickup covers.

In an earlier post I noted that, aside from the series names, there are differences in build between Streamliners and Electromatics. I mentioned the deeper and more resonant body of the SL 2620 vs the Electro 5420.

I failed to mention that there's a similar (and maybe more significant) difference between this 2622 and the doublecut Electros. On the Electromatic, the end of the neck sits .13 above the body; on the 2622, the rise is only .05. Visually it's very apparent, and of course this geometry makes a difference to feel of the guitar - and how close the strings sit to the body for the picking hand. It's another build detail that gives the guitar a 335-ish vibe.

Just making the point that Streamliners are not lower-cost versions of their more expensive brethren: they're different builds. Which is pretty smart of the decision-makers behind these guitars. It means that these guitars not only attract budget buyers on cost, but they can attract Electro- and proline-owners on the unique merits of the instruments.

AND make both groups happy. Win win win win win.

Well now, that candy-apple red model caught my eye, too, and I’d seen it at an attractive price, which made me cock the hammer and almost pull the trigger. But with NAMM a week away and Reverend exploding with new models, I opted to hold off. Glad you like yours, it’s making me think about it again.

Y'know...I've been playing this thing for a couple weeks now - and, somehow, it does sound like a Gretsch, with a characteristic sort of kerrrangg, especially in the middle position. A bit of the tone Ade once described as a "lurid gurgle," which is all you could really ask of a guitar.

I don't know how this feat was managed - but at least I fancy I hear actual Gretschness in it.

Thank you for your review of this guitar, Tim. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Streamliner, and I think you have convinced me that they would be a good fit for me, mainly because of the 90's. Now to decide which particular color, hmmm, hmmm....

And there are other cosmetic choices I'm still mulling over. The top of the list is the gold hardware. I'm not crazy about it; I would have paired nickel/chrome with the gray-silver-bluish (it's a chameleon under various lights) theme. (The gold arguably looks better on the CAR option.) I don't know if I'm ambivalent enough about it to change it - but I might be.

Next is the tort pickguard. I'm not sure it works with the cool finish - but I don't know what would be better. No pickguard is of course an option, and an inexpensive one - and I often go that route. But maybe this needs something to relieve it. I'm mulling over cream, to match the pickups, and maybe black. (But that might be too...dark.)

Then there's the full-block fret markers. Not crazy about'em. I know they're historical for some Gretsch models, I just would have preferred humpblocks or neoclassic thumbnails here. But I have those on plenty of other Gretschs, and given the price of this guitar, I'll stick with the rectangles.

Finally, the knobs. While the plain domes of the Streamliner knobs seemed wrong to me at first, I've come to appreciate them - especially the gold ones on my 2620. It's the blackness of these I'm ambivalent about. I wish they were cream. I have a couple other guitars on which I've been able to execute a thorough cream-plastic theme (knobs, pickguard, switch tips, pickup covers), and it always seems an understated but rich and classy look to me. So I'm on the lookout for cream knobs of the same design as these.

None of these are very serious whines, you understand. The guitar is just too giddily good for them to matter much, and they're the kind of mod projects I'm good at.

Well, and there's probably a Tru-Arc in this guitar's future.

– Proteus

Hey Tim, since the Gretsch G2622T-P90 Limited Edition Streamliner's bridge has a 10" radius, would a Tru-Arc 9.5" radius bridge work for the Streamliner? If so, which model would you recommend? I'm leaning toward copper or brass material but I have no idea which specific model would be the right fit.

Or, would it make more sense to wait for a Tru-Arc made for 10" radius specifically (if possible) in the future?

Sorry if these are silly questions but I wasn't sure if the .5" radius difference is critical.

No, not silly questions at all.

Experience has shown that the half-inch radius different is pretty insignificant. We sometimes find when we put a gauge on it that, after finishing, Gretsch's fingerboards can vary slightly from their nominal specs - so tolerance within half an inch is about all we can expect.

And some people prefer a 12" radius on a 10" fingerboard anyway.

But I didn't realize the P90 Streamliner has a 10" radius fingerboard. I'll have to measure and see!

I haven't Tru-Arc'ed mine yet, so I don't have a recommendation for it. My instinct is that some guys might find the P90s a bit darker than they expect a Gretsch to be, and go aluminum to brighten it up. (Also, I've found on other guitars that I like aluminum with P90s.) Stainless is the always-reliable middle road, with fairly flat and accurate tonal production and enhanced sustain. Brass should be the Gretschiest of tones, with the characteristic boost in the kinda-upper-middle-mids that we're used to.

Copper...I'd have to try it. It would depend on where its mid-range warmth (lower in the spectrum than brass) fit in with the spectrum of the pickups.

Thanks! Yeah, I checked the specs from Musician Friend from my order.

I'm still favoring Brass or Copper (honestly, also for the aesthetic as well as tone - they look cool with gold hardware!).

Would a Tru-Arc Standard model be the way to go? I'd go with your call on that.

I'll ping you via email about all this but I thought it might be helpful for folks considering a bridge replacement.

A Standard should work, but a SerpenTune would dial intonation in tighter. If you do hit me via email, that will remind me to check mine for fit and fitness.

Register Sign in to join the conversation