Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD

Originally, the double cut jets attached at the same point on the body as the single cuts (14th-15th fret) and had a long heel, just as the double cut hollow bodies did, This appears to be attached much higher on the neck, giving you better access to the high frets. 'Bout time.

Proteus, don't you still have that 5655? That had the same high connection.

Sweet axe! Is the back a natural stain or all painted the cherry metallic color?

– Chmason85

The back is black..."Back in Black"?

My strap attaches at the neck heel and doesn't feel neck heavy.

Originally, the double cut jets attached at the same point on the body as the single cuts (14th-15th fret) and had a long heel, just as the double cut hollow bodies did, This appears to be attached much higher on the neck, giving you better access to the high frets. 'Bout time.

Proteus, don't you still have that 5655? That had the same high connection.

– Don Birchett

I actually wouldn't mind a lower attachment point myself. With a high attachment point (where most of the neck is free of the body and the bridge stays near the center of the body), it results in the headstock being further away from the player. So your left arm streches out farther when you're playing down near the nut. SG's are like this as well. My wrist doesn't love the angle it gets put in with the headstock being further away.

Ergomonics. What works for some, doesn't for others.

That being said, it's not a deal breaker so far...

Proteus, don't you still have that 5655?

It's gone. Failure to bond.

Proteus, don't you still have that 5655?

It's gone. Failure to bond.

– Proteus

The one that Curt painted a tint of red? Wow!

Nono. I don't think Curt's painted anything red for me. Just the Persian Sand/Gunmetal Grey Billy Bo.

The 5655 Electromatic doublecut was factory Rosa Red. A lovely color, which had nothing to do with our failure to thrive in our partnership. It was the guitar I played most at the 2017 Roundup, with TV Jones pickups. I just never fully warmed up to it. I pulled the TVs, put the stockers back, and sold it.

I actually wouldn't mind a lower attachment point myself. With a high attachment point (where most of the neck is free of the body and the bridge stays near the center of the body), it results in the headstock being further away from the player. So your left arm streches out farther when you're playing down near the nut. SG's are like this as well. My wrist doesn't love the angle it gets put in with the headstock being further away.

Ergomonics. What works for some, doesn't for others.

That being said, it's not a deal breaker so far...

– Rhythmisking

Interesting. I try to have the nut on all my guitars at about the same position relative to my left hand when playing. Variations in body size or neck/body joint then may move my right hand's picking position, but my left hand stays pretty constant.

Big guitars just go farther past my right hip than small ones. It seems to be an easier adjustment than changing the left-hand reach.

Well last night I decided to move the strap attachment point from the horn to the neck heel. I was a little daunted by drilling into a perfect (expensive) guitar.

OMG.

I thought it would help the balance, and maybe bring the headstock a tiny bit closer, but the difference is much more dramatic than that. The balance is now PERFECT. It hangs at the perfect angle. The headstock is much closer as well. Moving the strap to the neck heel is only maybe ~ 1 1/2" distance, but that combined with the angle change means the headstock is much closer now; feels like a good 6" closer.

The ergonomics of the guitar went from marginal/iffy to PERFECT.

Why in the world was the strap button on the horn in the first place?

Register Sign in to join the conversation