Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD three years in the making

You may remember that I have been pining for a 5422-12 in natural since GDP member and Musician’s Friend employee HoboKing promised one was comming via a special run just for MF customers. I waited and wrote emails and called to no avail and I groused about it on a few other threads (sorry).

Then, last month, they released the April catalog (thanks to eagle-eyed GDPer SJB66) with my long lusted for 12 in natural blonde. Oh, joy! I had to buy it, of course, and it arrived last evening. I haven’t even plugged it in yet but it arrived perfectly set up and almost in tune. Plays real nice.

Then, this morning when I was at Guitar Center selling some stuff to pay for my very exclusive “special run” when I glanced up. When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but the very 5422 in natural on the big wall of strings.

This does not dampen my enthusiasm one tiny bit.

Congrats Bob!

I'm sure it will sound as good as it looks!

Oh my! I think I'm in love, I think I need to find one of these guitars!

That is SWEET, Bob! Congrats!

Wow. Bring it to Nashville.

Nice, I tried waiting for one of these, but ended up with a 6122-12 in Natural - but, that is one beautiful guitar. I know they sound great too!

Karl

Nice x12! We expect audio-visual samples soon.

Worth the wait! Congrats

Thanks, all. I’m playing it through a Brain and a Barber Tone Press and it sparkles and jangles beautifully. Now I have to learn a new batch of songs, Beatles, Petty, etc.

Love it man! I'd suggest some early REM too. South Central Rain is really fun to play on a 12 string - beautiful and unique chord progression.

What is the nut width on that?

You may remember that I have been pining for a 5422-12 in natural since GDP member and Musician’s Friend employee HoboKing promised one was comming via a special run just for MF customers. I waited and wrote emails and called to no avail and I groused about it on a few other threads (sorry).

Then, last month, they released the April catalog (thanks to eagle-eyed GDPer SJB66) with my long lusted for 12 in natural blonde. Oh, joy! I had to buy it, of course, and it arrived last evening. I haven’t even plugged it in yet but it arrived perfectly set up and almost in tune. Plays real nice.

– Bob Howard

Nice! I may have to think about one of those...

I will, thanks. About 1.75”( 1 11/16“)

Congratulations. That's a beautiful guitar and a classic look.

Register Sign in to join the conversation