Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD - Spectra Sonic - tag, I’m it

My turn with this guy. So far, I like the tone and playability. I put a TruArc and a Dwayne handle on it. In person, it looks even better than the pix. I may keep it the way it is. Great pickups. Three knobs, two of which work, tone and master volume.

The famous Deluxe lurks in the background. Has one of those weird Bigsbys... seen on some (late 70s?) Gretsch -- even some Falcons.

I was planning to try a few different looks, but I (for the moment) really like the way it looks in person.

I tried a Bigsby B12 (cause I have an aversion to tension bars) but it had zero break angle, so I put the B11 back on. Oh well.

edit: I mean: I tried a Bigsby B11 (cause I have an aversion to tension bars) but it had zero break angle, so I put the B12 back on. Oh well.

Looks great! I have to sell off one of those Bigsbys; action felt all wrong to me even if they are BZ's favorite. Probably a spring thing.

LX, I always change out a Bigsby with a tension bar. I’ve even gone so far as to cut one off of a B5 for a Tele build, but this time, with so little break angle, I’m afraid I’ll just have to get used to it. Maybe a Reverend soft spring will help.

The famous Deluxe lurks in the background. Has one of those weird Bigsbys... seen on some (late 70s?) Gretsch -- even some Falcons.

– DCBirdMan

These are normal for Spectra Sonics.

My nephew's modern Streamliner has a B-70whatever with a tension bar and I was amazed that the tension felt like a normal Bigsby. First time I'd encountered that.

I wonder what the secret sauce is on that Streamliner’s Bigsby.

Congrats. I love that guitar. I'd try a Reverend Soft Spring. I have them in both my Bigsby equipped guitars and I found the Soft Spring was improvement even with a B6. Curious about those single coils in the TVJ......are they early incarnations of the T-Armonds w/o the adjustable pole slugs or something else?

That’s what they sound like to me.

Kinda look like Magnatrons, one of the best pickups ever.

Congrats, Bob. I loved my brief time owning a Spectra Sonic. It was stock except the titanium serpentune bridge ( and maybe locking tuners?)

If I’d have bit on this one I would try to get it back to stock. Probably a bridge to far given the mods, so I didn’t.

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks, Bob! I’m considering the mods to come.

Nice, Bob! Always wondered about those. Enjoy it.

Thanks Greg. Me too. So far it’s cool to play a big, chambered, single coiled but very thin Gretsch. Lovely tone. Being thin, it’s easier to play standing up than my deep arch tops and that’s new for me.

Congratulations, Bob, I hope it's a keeper! I was interested in it as well, but I hesitated too long, and you beat me to it!

These. Sounds great, like T’Armonds, well chambered, light for such a big guitar...7.9 lbs.

Thanks Greg. Me too. So far it’s cool to play a big, chambered, single coiled but very thin Gretsch. Lovely tone. Being thin, it’s easier to play standing up than my deep arch tops and that’s new for me.

– Bob Howard

Yeah, they are very comfortable to play. I like the feel of the unbound neck, too.

nice guitar..congrats and enjoy!

but actually its the b12 that has the tension bar..the b11 does not!!

op pic is b12!

the b11 was fave of late great 54 club-mike wilhelm..he had'em on his club and ric 360...put a pic of his wife in the oval hole section

cheers

Thanks, Bob! I’m considering the mods to come.

– Bob Howard

You’re a creative guy and will make it yours.

Yeah, they are very comfortable to play. I like the feel of the unbound neck, too.

– NJBob

Yes. The unbound neck reminds me of Redrocker’s Power Tenny...but wider.

Register Sign in to join the conversation