Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD Sparkley Dyna-Jet! At last!

You may have seen this beauty at a good price offered here by Chmason85. I did and jumped on it.

Here it is as I picked it up. It came with all of the original hardware and case candy. Chmason85 Has done a superb setup and it is it is as nice a player as I've ever played. I'm bringing it to to Nashville to show off and to get opinions as to making it my own. I already planned to put back the tuners (the big ol' Gibson looking Klusons look like a kid with big ears sticking out) but after tuning it up with those 19:1 gears, I might just leave them. It's so precise. I also assumed I'd change out the bridge with an unpinned bar bridge, but we'll see.

I'll have Rob change the listing in the data base cause I'm keeping it.

That's a real beauty! I vote for the bridge change.

I need to get my hands on a Fender Dyna Sparkle Jet. Looks great! Jealous!

great guitar but i vote for the change of the big ears tuners

Pure sweetness Bob....congratulations!!!

Excellent verygoodness!

Thanks, Chmason85. Digging it doesn't quite cover it. I hope you get your new guitar soon and enjoy it as much!

Congrats! You're developing a nice collection.

Congrats, Bob H. I had one of those for a few years. Liked DA2000s better than the Dynas, so kept the 3140 and sold the jet. It was great in every other way, though.

Nice one, Bob! Congrats!

Thanks Joe. Yes, a nice collection. Now all I need is a 1957 Country Club. It'll be awhile.

Thanks, Bob and Tom. You'll see it soon.

Congrats...that's a beauty. I have an option you may want to consider regarding the replacement tuners if you don't care for the big Gibson looking keystone buttons: get yourself a set of Gotoh Kluson style tuners either with the metal oval or metal scalloped knobs which would drop right in. Also, I noticed the pickup pole slugs on both pu's have been flipped around. Do you plan on putting them back to stock or do you prefer the tone with them flipped?

Lovely guitar. Have a look at Mosrite Klusons

Looks nice, congretschulations.

Thanks, Woz.

MrTubs, I will.

Gretchadelphia, I'll look at those Gotohs. The previous owner flipped them after reading that thread about flipping Dynas. I like the sound the way it is, but I may experiment.

Thanks, Woz.

MrTubs, I will.

Gretchadelphia, I'll look at those Gotohs. The previous owner flipped them after reading that thread about flipping Dynas. I like the sound the way it is, but I may experiment.

– Bob Howard

Can you just replace the buttons?

Never thought of that. I'll try.

Well, the first round of mods is done. Added a TruArc Serpentune. The pick guard had the tip busted off so I glued it and reattached it. I like the pick guard as I use it to rest my pinky when finger picking. If I get a new one, I'll get a script logo on it. Is that wrong? It would be 2016 period correct. I'm blown away by the beautiful red-brown (dare I say chestnut?) back and sides. In the right light, it's stunning.

Hey Bob, I would check with Kluson about different tuner buttons, those can be removed and replaced I'm pretty sure, but I like the big ears lol

Oh yes, and I changed out the Bigsby handle. It's called a Vintage narrow, or something. I see very little about it on the web. It feels a bit like my DE handle, but it is thinner where your pinky wraps around it and thiner at both ends (quite unlike a brontosaurus) and it is very comfortable. It looks to me like a swiveling version of the fixed. I've seen it on pictures of some '50s Jets. It's not mentioned in this sites Bigsby handle section.

Hey Bob, I would check with Kluson about different tuner buttons, those can be removed and replaced I'm pretty sure, but I like the big ears lol

– Chmason85

They are growing on me. We'll see.

Oh yes, and I changed out the Bigsby handle. It's called a Vintage narrow, or something. I see very little about it on the web. It feels a bit like my DE handle, but it is thinner where your pinky wraps around it and thiner at both ends (quite unlike a brontosaurus) and it is very comfortable. It looks to me like a swiveling version of the fixed. I've seen it on pictures of some '50s Jets. It's not mentioned in this sites Bigsby handle section.

– Bob Howard

Looking sharp! I believe that's called the breakaway arm or something, and its exactly what you said, a swiveling fixed arm

Where can a fellow get one of these fabled swinging fixed breakaway handles?

Where can a fellow get one of these fabled swinging fixed breakaway handles?

– Proteus

Angela instruments should be a safe bet, they have a website and reverb store

Register Sign in to join the conversation