Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD- Panther

I’d been looking for a Panther as a more ‘comfortable’ stage/tour alternative to my beloved Phoenix and finally found and picked one up last Friday. Fair price, great condition. Overall bonding well with it- there’s something special for me about the Phoenix, but the Panther definitely is easier to play, and it will be a lot easier to see the fretboard side-markers on a dark stage. The neck pickup is getting swapped out for a Magna’tron (that’s what the Phx has, and I’m trying to get close to the sound I get from that guitar). I thought I’d probably get a P’tron+ for the bridge (like the Phx) or try the Classic+ I have lying around, but after a few hours rehearsing today through my Valvetech I’m starting to like the stock bridge Filter. Anyway, its a pretty great guitar. Now I just need a Penguin to round out the ‘P-animals’ stable!

Nice! Congrats. The Panthers look so cool. Good year for Black Panthers!

I've only ever heard great things about Panthers. Congratulations!

Congrats,i've only ever played one once and i wish i could've took it home,lovely guitar,it was a red one.

Curt, has a nice one too. I have played it briefly at a roundup. They are really nice. Congrats!

I am really liking the Panther. I put a TVJ Magnatron in the neck position, and just like with the Maggie in the neck of the Phoenix, I love it. Almost 'acoustic-y' jangle with nice twang- a tad more focus and twang with it in the Panther. I put a TVJ Classic+ I had in the bridge, but I'm on the fence with that- can't quite put my finger on why, but I might have liked the stock Filter a little bit better. Seemed like maybe there was a little bit more sort of 'smoothness' to the way the stock p/u sounded at higher gain.

Do people ever put a treble bleed on the individual pickup volume pots? It seems like rolling off the volume on the Magnatron to get a better balance between that and the neck p/u it loses its sparkle..

I’ve always liked the look of the double cut in black/silver. I love my Phoenix but prefer to play my G7594 white falcon. I’ve never seen, aside from a few photos, the G7594 silver falcon and this is the closest you can get. I’ve considered selling the Phoenix as it doesn’t get enough playing (not since I got a Stern Penguin) and would seriously consider a Panther

If I'd come across a double-cut center block silver falcon first I probably would've gone with that (that is, if I could've afforded it)- other than cosmetics, that and the Panther seem pretty much the same. It seems like those DC CB silver falcons didn't last very long in production (same with the Panther!). I'm kind of horrified by the 'player's edition' models now with the tension-bar Bigsby.

I’ve always liked the look of the double cut in black/silver. I love my Phoenix but prefer to play my G7594 white falcon. I’ve never seen, aside from a few photos, the G7594 silver falcon and this is the closest you can get. I’ve considered selling the Phoenix as it doesn’t get enough playing (not since I got a Stern Penguin) and would seriously consider a Panther

– jon attwood

Aw, d**n you! Now I find myself obsessing over the G6139T-CBDC Silver Falcon.... I need to just go play the Panther and be happy (until I win the lottery and find a G6139T-CBDC.......).....

Register Sign in to join the conversation