Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD lefty white penguin

First of all I love my wife! Her gift to me! I have dreamt of this guitar since I was a kid and saw a pic of one in a book. I've never seen one in person until today. What a beautiful guitar. This is a refurbished MIRC guitar and is immaculate. The only guitar I have received that was set up perfect when I got it. I do have a question in regards to the Syncrosonic bridge. The bridge looks a bit high to me. The action on the guitar is very low and sweet. I have never had a guitar with this bridge on it before and was just curious about it. I've read all kinds of posts about replacing them, but my first impressions are that I like the bridge. Anyway, here are a couple of pics.

Pic of bridge height from low E side

Beautiful!

TV Jones sells Dynasonic shims if you want to get that bridge pickup closer to the strings.

Actual I was able to adjust the bass side of the bridge down quite a bit. I am curious on the best way to adjust the pickups. Do most people leave the pole pieces close to the body of the pic up and shim up the whole pickup?

Actual I was able to adjust the bass side of the bridge down quite a bit. I am curious on the best way to adjust the pickups. Do most people leave the pole pieces close to the body of the pic up and shim up the whole pickup?

– Hipbone

Yes. You could get some vintage correct pickup risers from local poster Paul Setzer as well as TVJones. You can find his photobucket page: setzersigns. The vintage style alternating black-white-black would look great. The bridge looks normal; if it ain't broke etc. Congrats on getting a dream guitar.

Thanks for posting the pic's!

If the action is low, at the neck and all is fine there, and you want your pickups closer to the strings. Yes, by all means use the advice above. Don't be to concerned on how high the bridge is at the base, if all else is well. This is common.

Interesting, MIRC puts their own serial number over the factory one, and I understand why. However, I opened up the back panel for the volume and tone pots and bingo the factory label is unmolested! The guitar is a 2006 model. It must have been in some guitar shop for a very long time. Looks absolutely brand new.

Beautiful Penguin, congretschulations!

Beautiful!! Congratulations on your fabulous guitar and your wonderful wife!

For the unwashed among us, what exactly is an MIRC guitar?

Musical instrument reclamation corporation.... they buy factory overstocks, blems, and instruments that for some reason don't make the final inspection. They have a full shop and do what needs to be done to bring a guitar up to a high standard. They are located in Nashville. http://mircweb.com Seems like my guitar may have just sat around somewhere for a few years.

Typically they are sold at a much lower price.

Nice Southpaw!

Saturday will be my first gig with the White Penguin, my main guitar has been a 2008 Jag Tan Anne. Looking forward to having a different sonic palette available. Wondering if the output of the Dynasonics are close to that of TV Jones classic filtertrons?

Do your sound check - Dyna's are louder.

My impressions after today's gig. Love the Penguin for clean and slightly gritty tones, not so great for heavier overdrive. My Jag Tan Annie has a sweet/ controllable feedback. The Penguin seems to not have that characteristic.

Penguin plays much easier than the Annie. My Annie requires a little more effort, while the Penguin seems to be very smooth and easy to move around the fingerboard. Diffenetly a different tonal palette.

As you discovered, Penguins have their own personality, but they're great. Congrats on acquiring your dream guitar!

I confess, I stared at mine for weeks after it followed me home, so I get it! Enjoy!

Nice description of your first gig experience with it Hipbone. I have not played Dyna equipped guitars enough to pick out all of the differences that I would have to compensate for but figure this gig as a great start on the road to bonding with it.

It is a beautiful guitar and congratulations! I hope your happiness with it continues to grow.

Register Sign in to join the conversation