Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD Gretsch 6118T-SGR Players Edition Anniversary

Just wanted to chime in to tell you Gretsch lovers what I feel about this guitar. First off I've been a Gretsch player pretty steady since 2002 and have had 3 DuoJets (still have one), 2 Double Anniversaries (including this new one), and a double cut Chet. I've always been a fan of Filtertrons, both ceramic and alnico, for different reasons. My first DuoJet had the ceramics and I toured with that guitar for a few years, and that guitar through a Matchless Hotbox and Blackface Dual Showman head with 4X10 Marshall bottom was a GREAT guitar tone that was all my own. And my first Double Anniversary also had the ceramics. I eventually moved into the alnico Filters with the next two Duos and my Chet. That started a whole new phase when I started going for some new Gretsch tones with those guitars plugged into a Mythical Overdrive and then into a Victoria Regall II. And fo me there is something magic about that combination, it's the perfect balance between clean and dirty. Here is what I'm talking about... https://soundcloud.com/dani...

Well onto the point. I wasn't thinking about buying a new Gretsch, but somehow I stumbled upon a post about the newer player edition Gretschs and damn if Gretsch didn't go and fix all the things I didn't like about my pre-Fender era Double Annivesary. So I looked all over the web, found one for a decent price and bought it. Well after an extended waiting time due to some UPS fumbles, I finally got the guitar. You guys here probably know more about the upgrades than I do. But I have to say I love what Gretsch did here. The thinner body on this Annie is way more comfortable, and I love the ML bracing system. My old Annie used to runaway from me at higher volumes, this one stays tight without losing the Gretsch tone that I love. I also love the pinned bar bridge and and the pin-less Bigsby! And last, but not least, I LOVE having a tone control instead of the "mud switch"! So I thought I would post this so any of you guys that are on the fence about buying one might get a bit more info. Oh, I also love the neck, the fretwork is perfectly level, and the rosewood fingerboard feels great.

So here it is....

https://i.imgur.com/DHeQJo6...

Congratulations Daniel! I love the design idea about the player edition Gretsch guitars. They have all the features I want as stock.

Welcome up! That's gorgeous. Yes, we are very happy with the fact that the Gretsch guitar Co. has been stalking us for years and changing their appointments, per our requests and otherwise, just to make a better product.

Thanks guys, the only mod I would consider on this guitar is a Tru-Arc bridge, only because I like how they sound, but this guitar sounds so good I'm afraid to mess around with it. I have a Tru-Arc Titanium on my DuoJet. Next time I change strings, I'll swap bridges and see what the difference really is.

YES! A Tru-Arc can only make it better.

YES! A Tru-Arc can only make it better.

– Suprdave

Well I'll let you know if I agree with that after I do it:)

Congratulations! If I were to buy another Gretsch I believe your model is the one I would get.

I brought one of those same guitars back from my US trip earlier this year to attend the Balto-DC Roundup.

They are mighty fine guitars, and for my first foray into the Gretsch pro line, I am incredibly happy I pulled the trigger.

Really liking Been Too Close and Something Ain't Right. Enjoying them greatly, listening to some more. Lovely interleaved parts and a very striking vocals. What a voice.

Congratulations! If I were to buy another Gretsch I believe your model is the one I would get.

– BuddyHollywood

good decision:)

I brought one of those same guitars back from my US trip earlier this year to attend the Balto-DC Roundup.

They are mighty fine guitars, and for my first foray into the Gretsch pro line, I am incredibly happy I pulled the trigger.

– Adsy81

nice entrance into the Pro Gretsch world!!! this is my favorite of 6 Gretschs I've owned!

Really liking Been Too Close and Something Ain't Right. Enjoying them greatly, listening to some more. Lovely interleaved parts and a very striking vocals. What a voice.

– ade

Thanks for the that, those are my two newest songs!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation