Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGDG6228FM

Picture tells the story. Ordered TV Classics with new surrounds because these pickups are actually bigger than stock filtertrons.

Wow! Congrats on your gorgeous guitar!!!

She's a stunner. Enjoy the hell out of her.

After many pickup swaps, I ended up with T-Armonds in mine (along with adding a Towner bar Bigsby). Wonderful guitar.

After many pickup swaps, I ended up with T-Armonds in mine (along with adding a Towner bar Bigsby). Wonderful guitar.

– jarrodtaylor

Would love to see a pic of your guitar with those mods. How is the sensitivity of the trem with the Towner?

The middle is not actually darker, there was shade from some trees. Love the access to the high frets. The heal is smaller than my ‘57 VS Dou-Jet and the mahogany is rounded off in a very organic way. The action is amazing!

Beautiful guitar - love that headstock! I actually really like those pickups as stock. Gretsch really did well with this model - great guitar, fantastic sounds, wonderful playability. The electronics are really well sorted too. Overall it's a much better guitar than most players realise, and a good deal too.

The pickups do sound good. My rig is calibrated for lower output pickups and these slam the amp pretty hard. I imagine these would sound familiar to a Les Paul owner and my guess is that is the point. Convert some Gibson folks.

Would love to see a pic of your guitar with those mods. How is the sensitivity of the trem with the Towner?

– Powertronman

It feels very similar to my hollow body models non-tension bar setups. I wouldn't think twice about doing that mod again, well worth it if you want a Bigsby and don't like the B7 tension.

The tension bar fit right in where the original tailpiece was. I did have to get the Towner studs to make it fit, the metric ones if I recall correctly.

The only holes I had to drill were around the strap button to mount the Bigsby B3, no new holes on the top of the guitar at all. And Towner sells a hinge plate adapter so your strap button will fit correctly.

Wow, just wow! That's a stunningly beautiful instrument, I love the color of the flame maple cap and headstock. You got gudun!

Register Sign in to join the conversation