Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGDG6022C

I was also a little disappointed that the G-brand was silk screened

That would be a boon to me. It could be removed. No reasonable fix for the soundhole though.

I wish I wasn't so petty.

Congrats, Bob! I tried one of those a few years ago when I was acoustic-hunting, and found the plugged in sound really good, but the acoustic tone too bright for my tastes. Sure is purty, though!

Parabar, was that one a Terada-built model? I don't really find that to be the case with this one, but, then again, I will be playing it 90% of the time amplified.

I was also a little disappointed that the G-brand was silk screened

That would be a boon to me. It could be removed. No reasonable fix for the soundhole though.

I wish I wasn't so petty.

– Proteus

Of course... Then it could be replaced with a wonderful Dusenberg "D"... Right, Tim?

That would be perfect.

Ha ha. I thought the exact same thing.

What year is yours?

– Ric12string

Mine is a 2007. I was so fortunate to find it as NOS in 2010.

Congrats Ric! These are some really cool guitars. I had both full body and cutaway and still wish I had the full body ...both mine were ‘08’s I believe if memory is correct.

Zig and Michael, I am guessing that your guitars are substantially different models than mine, or am I overlooking something here? Mine is a 1991 6022C -- a Terada-built guitar. While I am not certain, I would surmise that the differences between the pre-FMIC models and the FMIC models may be comparable to the electric models. This one is a somewhat heavy guitar so I would guess that it may have more plies than what FMIC has built. I think that, when this guitar was built in 1991, Fred Gretsch was trying to build a top level acoustic guitar. Under FMIC, Gretsch does not harbor any illusions that they can compete with Martin, Taylor or Gibson in making acoustics. Instead, Gretsch is making very good acoustics that can be affordably purchased.

Ric...no I don’t think your overlooking anything at all really.The two that I had although you may very well be correct on the construction aspect as were there were differences in the hollow bodies and Jets of the pre and post guitars the only other difference I can recall were the tuners(open Grovers) on post FMIC 6022’s and the routed G brand on the post FMIC guitars and maybe the pickup system,can’t recall truly on that as well.Both Fishman but subtle differences maybe?Been a while ago since I had mine. The cutaway I had sounded very good plugged but had brighter than my liking unplugged sound.The full body sounded really good to me anyway juiced and unplugged.There is a FSR Black 6022 on Verb that I’ve been fighting with myself over for a couple of months now (shop in Japan) which makes me nervous. Wayne Hancock used to play a 6022 years ago and I swear that thing sounded as good if not better than a Dove I had at the time.He may have been using bass strings on it,I don’t know but it was throaty!!

I had forgotten that FMIC made the 6022 model; I was thinking that they had only made the 5022 model.

I haven't had the sense that the guitar is a little to trebly. Then again, my aging ears may actually benefit from a surplus of those high frequencies.

I took the guitar out yesterday and it performed wonderfully, with no wrist and forearm fatigue as I had feared. I think that it is a keeper!

Parabar, was that one a Terada-built model? I don't really find that to be the case with this one, but, then again, I will be playing it 90% of the time amplified.

– Ric12string

I don't recall checking to see where it was made. I specifically wanted one that was warm and rich and full acoustically, with clarity when plugged in. I ended up with a Seagull, that satisfies my ears both ways.

I don't recall checking to see where it was made. I specifically wanted one that was warm and rich and full acoustically, with clarity when plugged in. I ended up with a Seagull, that satisfies my ears both ways.

– Parabar

I suppose that the distinction would be whether it was a G6022C model or a G5022. The latter has been built in the last few years whereas the G6022C was built by Fred Gretsch prior to FMIC, and then again by FMIC after it reached the deal with Fred Gretsch. The G5022 model is definitely a different animal than the G6022C. Nonetheless, you could well be correct. I didn't notice that yesterday when I was gigging with it, although that was principally while plugged in where you thought that it sounded good.

I had forgotten that FMIC made the 6022 model; I was thinking that they had only made the 5022 model.

I haven't had the sense that the guitar is a little to trebly. Then again, my aging ears may actually benefit from a surplus of those high frequencies.

I took the guitar out yesterday and it performed wonderfully, with no wrist and forearm fatigue as I had feared. I think that it is a keeper!

– Ric12string

Yeah I forget how far through the years the 6022 Rancher was made post years but they’re really nice and if you find yourself wanting to try something different as far as strings go I found these EB Aluminum Bronze sound pretty damn good on the Ranchers,they seem to open up the guitar a little with really nice projection with a little more low end.The DAddario nickel bronze maybe interesting to try too.

Oh I saw it, all right.

The interesting thing about envy is its elasticity — you can be consumed by it, or it can motivate you.

(ahem) now that the envy has worn off, I can say I think I have one lined up.

It must be RANCHER fever!

Andddd..... here she is — she's all mine —  fantastic guitar!

Nice one, Paul! You guys are giving me GAS!

”Higgy, I was also a little disappointed that the G-brand was silk screened, but I got over that quickly once I began to play it.”

Bob, you could always burn over the top of that at the next Roundup.

Well heck, Congrats to you and Paul. Nice guitars, guys.

I know a guy who could make a real brand on those guitars, for ya.

edit. Powdog beat me to it.

Bob, you could always burn over the top of that at the next Roundup. -- Powdog

Suprdave actually did that to one of his guitars at the Nashville Roundup.

So did Mun!

How does it sound plugged in? Curious about the electronics, on these.

I'll be posting my review this weekend. Suffice to say for now that I have not been this excited about a guitar for some time.

Register Sign in to join the conversation