Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD G128T57 Cadillac Green

Just picked up this used, mint beauty on Tuesday. Absolutely fabulous guitar, in looks, sound and playability. Gonna have to get used to the flat fingerboard, since I'm a dedicated Fender player. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get used to it, but the first I have is, does anyone know why the bridge on the green model is way different than the one in black?

Thanks for any replies and I'm looking forward to discoveries with my new guitar.

If yours is a '57 with DeArmonds it'll have the melita bridge; maybe you saw the Harrison version with the bar bridge?

If yours is a '57 with DeArmonds it'll have the melita bridge; maybe you saw the Harrison version with the bar bridge?

– lx

It's just like this one.... https://www.americanmusical...

That's the Melita. A bit of a sustain killer when playing clean, but it imparts a nice woody "plunk" to the notes in my experience. Billy Zoom loves them and is able to get sounds that simply weren't there on my Country Club, so YMMV.

Dump the thumb screws and get some regular filister-head screws if you plan to do any palm-muting at all.

Dump the thumb screws and get some regular filister-head screws if you plan to do any palm-muting at all.

– seadevil

Can you elaborate on this suggestion??

No slight to Seadevil here as he's only using the common name for a technique that's commonly called 'palm-muting' but which isn't correct and is confusing for those not familiar with it. The expression that more correctly describes the technique of muting the lower 3 strings the way Chet & Merle did is heel-of-your-hand muting, but that's too long a phrase so 'palm muting' is what's used. It's impossible to mute with your palm unless you're goal is to totally deaden all strings for a moment.

As for the bridge, either change the screws as suggested or put on a Tru Arc or top-of-the-line roller/adjustamatic style bridge. Changing the screws will maintain the original look though.

Great guitar and hopefully you'll acquaint yourself with its flatter fingerboard soon and enjoy that Great Gretsch sound!

Windsordave, Maybe my question wasn't clear enough....I know what palm muting is, just wanted him to elaborate on why and how to change the screws. Did a little looking and found what they are and where to buy them, but sure didn't see any gold-plated ones. And, of course, I don't want to change the beauty of the gold plating.

Billy Zoom sold me the correct flat screws for my CG Jet.

I'm not sure if he still has them or not. Ask him, and find out.

Since it hasn't been said yet. Congrats on a beautiful guitar. I hope you get your issues straightened out soon.

Just an observation, as others were discussing in another recent thread. The guitar in the pic that you linked has the pickups flipped. Interesting.

Well, since I've had the guitar for a few days, thought I'd post an update.....first of all, thanks for the comments and suggestions, I appreciate it. I guess the bridge is just a fancier version of the one that comes on the black model, don't know if that makes it any better or not. Sure looks cool; I guess it fits with all the other bling on the guitar. For what it's worth, I have had no problem palm muting, or as Windsordave called it "heel-of-your-hand muting". Maybe I'm just lucky, or sloppy... . As I said, I'm a confirmed Strat/Tele player and this guitar sounds nothing like either, as I'm sure you all know. Kinda reminds me of a Gibson with P90's. I'm liking the difference.

I've also just learned to max out the individual volume and tone controls and just use the master, works fine for me and less fiddling with the knobs. I'm also surprised as how well it stays in tune with the Bigsby, probably because I don't use it much and when I do, I'm pretty easy with it.

Still having a bit of a problem with the 12" board since I'm so used to 7.25" and 9.5" that are on most Fenders, but I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with it the more I play it.

So, that's it, thanks again for all the comments, they helped a lot....

Welcome. As you've seen, you'll like it here.

Register Sign in to join the conversation