Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD - FMIC-era 6120-60

For a while I owned a 97 6120-60 alongside an FMIC SSLVO. Both were fitted with TVJ Classics, weighed virtually the same, and sounded almost identical. The SSLVO was very slightly "tighter" with a bit of a scoop in the upper mids when compared to the 6120-60. You could read that as the 6120-60 being very slightly warmer. Anyone listening in a crowded bar could never tell the difference. It would seem that the construction had almost no affect on the tone. They were both equally feedback resistant.

With the 2 side by side you couldn't see any difference between the poly and the lacquer from 3 feet away. There were other differences, mainly with the neck profile and frets, but eventually the 6120-60 won through and the SSLVO went on it's way.

– Uncle Daddy

Interesting. I also think that it's not so much about the specific body design. But: IMO the more solid structure of both the thicker construction of the 60 and the trestle bracing of the SSLVO makes the difference. Both sound and behave different than something with thinner wood and less bracing.

Interesting. I also think that it's not so much about the specific body design. But: IMO the more solid structure of both the thicker construction of the 60 and the trestle bracing of the SSLVO makes the difference. Both sound and behave different than something with thinner wood and less bracing.

– sascha

I'd agree. My Guild x175b has a thin laminate spruce top and no bracing, and it's very lively. The 6120-60 and the SSLVO were so close though, but both very different to the Guild.

Register Sign in to join the conversation