Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD - FMIC-era 6120-60

This popped up for sale yesterday morning a couple hours from me. Made in 2005, pre-Chet with Nashville still on the guard. Bone stock and mint condition. I was hard pressed to find anything beyond some light swirl marks that only show up in the right light.

I always regretted getting rid of my old blue burst 6120, and this has the same features, other than color, non-v cut bigsby and the zero fret, so I had to grab it. Had to drive through a snow storm to get it, but the white knuckled drive was worth it.

Needs some new strings and a setup, and I might order a Duane arm for the Bigsby, eventually a tru-arc, but I think I'll leave the pickups for now. Feels good to have a proline again.

Classic and classy. Play it in excellent health!

Congratulations! I'd like to see the inside and how it compares to the pre-FMIC specimen in terms of construction.

Nice Score!

Congrats,ya can't beat a 6120!

Pretty! I keep thinking I need to cut my pre-FMIC 6120 loose and pick up a straight orange FMIC 6120. Everybody in the house tells me I shouldn't sell it but if I get one that looks just like it I doubt they'll notice.

Congratulations! I'd like to see the inside and how it compares to the pre-FMIC specimen in terms of construction.

– sascha

Thanks. Here's a few snaps from the inside. i'm not really sure how they might compare to the pre-FMIC models, I would suspect they would look much the same. I did drop the mud switch and confirm that the top is 3-ply, as would be expected for an FMIC era guitar.

Thanks a lot! Looks good and clean. Big obvious difference is the kerfing that the pre-FMIC 6120-60s just don't have. They've got thick (I think 7-ply) sides that the top and back are glued onto. That's a solid bracing I see in the pictures. I'll take a look inside mine tomorrow and see what differences or similarities I might find. Seems you've got yourself a great guitar!

Thanks a lot! Looks good and clean. Big obvious difference is the kerfing that the pre-FMIC 6120-60s just don't have. They've got thick (I think 7-ply) sides that the top and back are glued onto. That's a solid bracing I see in the pictures. I'll take a look inside mine tomorrow and see what differences or similarities I might find. Seems you've got yourself a great guitar!

– sascha

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize the sides on the pre-FMIC models were THAT thick in lieu of kerfing. It's shaping up to be a good guitar, just needs to deal with a pesky high fret to get rid of some buzz.

Congratulations. Great looking guitar.

Sweeeeet! And if it’s anything like my G6120, you’re gonna love the sound thru an amp! The tone post gives them a unique “ growl” that you can summon on demand!

Here's two inside pics of mine (1993).

For a while I owned a 97 6120-60 alongside an FMIC SSLVO. Both were fitted with TVJ Classics, weighed virtually the same, and sounded almost identical. The SSLVO was very slightly "tighter" with a bit of a scoop in the upper mids when compared to the 6120-60. You could read that as the 6120-60 being very slightly warmer. Anyone listening in a crowded bar could never tell the difference. It would seem that the construction had almost no affect on the tone. They were both equally feedback resistant.

With the 2 side by side you couldn't see any difference between the poly and the lacquer from 3 feet away. There were other differences, mainly with the neck profile and frets, but eventually the 6120-60 won through and the SSLVO went on it's way.

Register Sign in to join the conversation