Modern Gretsch Guitars

Ngd Dsw

So my new used Dsw showed up and it's a great guitar. After a setup and clean n polishing its looks like it wasn't even played for the last 14 years. However I was surprised at the differences between this December 03 and my previous Dsw which was July 05. The neck joint is different and the stripe on the back of the neck looks like plastic instead of rosewood. It just needs a stainless Tru-Arc and some tv jones spacers and it will be good to go.

That's a pretty guitar, man, Congrats!

Congratulations on a beauty and thanks for showing the differences you spoke of.

Very pretty guitar! I really like those frets extending out over the binding as they should.

Your DSW reminds me of my 6120DS. Is it just me, or are the Gretsch guitars from that 2003-2005 period really kind of special?

Your DSW reminds me of my 6120DS. Is it just me, or are the Gretsch guitars from that 2003-2005 period really kind of special?

– Journeyman

Yes they are.

How couldn't ya like that? Gorgeous!

Gorgeous!! Congratulations and enjoy!!

Yes they are.

– Hollerbody

Agreed. Beautiful work!

My ‘03 6128-57 is one of the best (maybe the best) guitar I’ve played as far as quality and consistency of build go.

I love those dsw’s though!

Congrats on an absolutely beautiful guitar. With regards to some of the construction differences between the 03 and 05 (especially the neck joint/fretboard extension) I wonder if the guitars were made in different factories? I'm pretty sure you can tell by the serial numbers. JT = Terada; JD = Dyna Gakki; JF = Fuji-Gen Gakki.

They are both JT Terada Honestly the more I play this one I think I prefer it over the 05' this one feels more solid and is just a better player.

They are both JT Terada Honestly the more I play this one I think I prefer it over the 05' this one feels more solid and is just a better player.

– Hollerbody

It was a really good day at Terada back in '03.

It was a really good day at Terada back in '03.

– Gretschadelphia

Definitely

That's such a nice DSW....it looks like an original that was played for a couple of years and then put back in the case and into a closet for 50 years .

My 2003 6120 DS; very similar.

– Journeyman

Nice!

Love the figuring on the top. I can't believe I used to shun the G-branded Gretsches (now I own two).... very nice - enjoy!

Just curious Hollerbody, do both the 2003 and 2005 have the small vintage sized frets or did they get the medium jumbos?

Purdy! Play it in good health! :)

I can't believe I used to shun the G-branded Gretsches (now I own two)

Oh Paul.

I'm still a shunner.

Register Sign in to join the conversation