Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD Cliff Gallup model. Wow.

Always thought it was a little odd that folks got all heated up about chambering, bridges, wood, materials and pickups...and all on a guitar that has a thick piece of plastic glued onto the front. Obviously doesn't matter too much and I'm being pedantic, I love Jets

Have to agree with you on the latest Gretsch models. Everyone I’ve played has been superb

Always thought it was a little odd that folks got all heated up about chambering, bridges, wood, materials and pickups...and all on a guitar that has a thick piece of plastic glued onto the front.

Maybe the plastic is the catalyst which turns all the other ingredients magic.

Congratulations Fred. Like both the guitar and the band idea. Wish you lived closer though. Would love to see the band! I don’t get a chance to play my ‘57 Dou-Jet reissue as much as I like because I play mostly high gain gigs with my classic rock band these days. I had Joe C. Upgrade it with a bar bridge (over the stock Melita) and I put a Surpentune on it. I also upgraded the tuners to better Grover butterbeans. Very happy now though. Yes, I modify everything to some degree.

Always thought it was a little odd that folks got all heated up about chambering, bridges, wood, materials and pickups...and all on a guitar that has a thick piece of plastic glued onto the front. Obviously doesn't matter too much and I'm being pedantic, I love Jets

– Vince_Ray

Hey, a solid block of wood of a certain thickness with a plastic top is going to sound different than a heavily chambered block of wood of a different thickness with a plastic top, it's as simple as that.
If you want it to sound like a classic duo jet, you're gonna have to build it exactly like an old duo jet.

Hey, a solid block of wood of a certain thickness with a plastic top is going to sound different than a heavily chambered block of wood of a different thickness with a plastic top, it's as simple as that.
If you want it to sound like a classic duo jet, you're gonna have to build it exactly like an old duo jet.

– WB

It's as simple as that is it? Missed my point, I was raising the question of whether gluing a thick piece of plastic on the front of a guitar is a good idea in the first place. Then we get all snake oily about the rest of the components.

It's as simple as that is it? Missed my point, I was raising the question of whether gluing a thick piece of plastic on the front of a guitar is a good idea in the first place. Then we get all snake oily about the rest of the components.

– Vince_Ray

Well, no I think I got your point, in a general "how to get maximum resonance, etc..." luthier point of view, it's ridiculous to glue a thick piece of plastic to the front of a guitar and mount the pickups and bridge on it, I get that.

Point I was making is that I'm glad that FMIC/Gretsch isn't trying to turn a Duo Jet into something it's not, and for something "reissue" like a Cliff Jet, is getting closer and closer to original spec - warts and funny ideas and all. Some people would argue it would "turn into a better guitar" with, say, a solid carved spruce top, graphite reinforcement rods in the neck, a Titanium bridge, noiseless pickups and an active onboard preamp or similar jive, but it wouldn't sound like a Jet.

It makes sense to get all trainspotter/corksniffer/snake oily about vintage guitars if your aim is to build or sell something that behaves like the original - even if the original has some funny or strange ideas in it in the first place.

Not being contrary or singling you out Vince - I'm just geeky about this stuff, and frustrated at times guitar and amp companies can't leave stuff alone sometimes and "want to make it better" - killing the sound and feel of the original in the process.

I find myself agreeing! Yeah, it reminds me of thd old Dano U2s. The masonite body is an essential element, God forbid that the should replace that idea with something 'better'. Plus I wish they do an accurate rectangular Bo Diddley guitar. Why did it have to change?

So do the vintage spec reissues have the plastic top?

Update I installed two vintage 50s dearmonds and a 55’ B3 fixed bigsby.

man she’s perfect now. And yes those vintage pickups are significantly different sounding from the stock ones

I did have to tighten the truss rod a good bit to get the neck right (for me). After a good bit of tweaking it’s better than any 50s jet I've ever owned.

Not jealous at all. Not a bit.

Ok, I lied.

And a big Shout out to Paul Setzer for some beautifully crafted spacers under those pickups

yeah...loookin good..nice tweaks

what kind of strings you using...d'addario made whats?

i'd slap some thomastik vintage style round core pure nickel flatwound jazz swings on it!! authentic

cheers

Love it. I just paid $2200 for a used one and thought I got a steal?!? :) Does anyone know if you can swap out the stationary bar for a moving bar? Love everything but that might have to change. Thanks!

congratulations, Fred !

that's a nice looking guitar. your changing out the pickups, kinda makes me consider changing out the pickups on my Caddy Green Duo Jet. again, congrats on getting the new guitar.

Love it. I just paid $2200 for a used one and thought I got a steal?!? :) Does anyone know if you can swap out the stationary bar for a moving bar? Love everything but that might have to change. Thanks!

– Coldstare

Lots of people changed their fixed-arm to a swivel arm back in the day, so it would seem feasible.

Yep, you just need the arm complete with "shoulder."

IIRC, it's a simple as removing one grub screw, swapping in the new arm, and screwing it back in.

Yes it’s super simple. Just a small Allen key and it’s done.

Soak the arm in vinegar overnight to remove sheen if desired. It really does work on aluminum.

I really really love my Gallup 6128.

I missed this thread but wow....certainly the deal of the year!!! My imagination is running wild with the thought of its tone. Good luck with the new band and project as I am certain this will serve you well. Congratulations!!

I made a fun video recently of "Peg O my heart". Ill post it soon. And yeah it sounds so darn good.

Looking forward to it?

Register Sign in to join the conversation