Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGDCA-CAWWW!!

My 2004 6136T White Falcon arrived today! She needed some new strings, so I had to take care of that before plugging her in, but it was worth the wait! I chose this one because it has trons, but it also has the vertical headstock logo/feather inlays like the dyna version.

Thanx for looking!

Lovely model. BTW, do you plan on changing out that [POS] Space Control bridge? Tim would love to hear from you I'm sure.

Lovely model. BTW, do you plan on changing out that [POS] Space Control bridge? Tim would love to hear from you I'm sure.

– Windsordave

Ya know, I think I may keep it for a while. Maybe it’s a POS, but it’s working just fine. This baby stays in tune with bigsby abuse, and sounds pretty great. I have a spare Gretsch RBB in gold I was thinking of slapping on there. I have 4 Tru-Arcs and I love what all of them have done for me. The stainless steel serpentune is seriously a magical piece of machinery. However, it doesn’t come in gold!!

A Serpintune in brass is a beautiful thing, tone wise...and looks good with gold.

A Serpintune in brass is a beautiful thing, tone wise...and looks good with gold.

– Bob Howard

Yessir, I’ve considered this option as well. But the Stainless Steel is my favorite. I’ve said this a few times, but I feel like it’s Alchemy. It’s supernatural.

I wonder how painful it’d be to paint a ss serpentune gold?

There might be a heat treatment you could do to make SS look gold - I'm not sure. Or there is probably some terrible chemical treatment you could use to give it a golden hue. Even plating could be an option, but that always wears off.

There might be a heat treatment you could do to make SS look gold - I'm not sure. Or there is probably some terrible chemical treatment you could use to give it a golden hue. Even plating could be an option, but that always wears off.

– JimmyR

Yeah, I was 1/2 joking. It seems like it’d be a lot of work when I could just slap a brass one on there and call it good.

You could try clear gold lacquer, like horn repair shops use on brass instruments. Comes in rattlecans. Clean the bridge with alcohol before applying. Put on a few coats. It’s going to wear off quickly in the string grooves, but the rest will last awhile. When it inevitably starts to wear, you can scrape it off and have stainless again. Rinse and repeat.

You could try clear gold lacquer, like horn repair shops use on brass instruments. Comes in rattlecans. Clean the bridge with alcohol before applying. Put on a few coats. It’s going to wear off quickly in the string grooves, but the rest will last awhile. When it inevitably starts to wear, you can scrape it off and have stainless again. Rinse and repeat.

– Proteus

Now you’re talkin’! I’ma think on that! Aside from the fact that it makes everything sound better, Stainless steel is the only bridge I’ve tried that gives me the loudest sympathetic tones I love so much. I know some folks fight them, but not me. Also, I’m a big fan of strumming back there and getting eerie rings. The ss does this the best.

Congrats on a fine NGD! Let's hear that bird sing...

That's the one I want! With the space control!

K

Congrats ,cool geet ,i have one too,a vertical logo'd Filter Falcon that is !

Congratulations on your new guitar, enjoy it in good health!

Best Tru-arc on a WF is the Glass, JMO. Frosted goes well. Congrats on a nice bird.

Crows go Ca-Caaaaaw!!!

Falcons go Screeeech!!!!

Enjoy!

Crows go Ca-Caaaaaw!!!

Falcons go Screeeech!!!!

Enjoy!

– ruger9

You know, I was gonna say something, but I figured if he wants his Falcon to Caw, let him!

– Proteus

Good to know because I keep going back and forth between the 6120 and 6119 and I'm thinking... It's going to drive me batty if I order a 6120 with gold hardware and put one of your stainless steel bridges on it. I just wish there was a 6120 I wanted that didn't have gold hardware.

And yes OP... sweet Falcon.

Good to know because I keep going back and forth between the 6120 and 6119 and I'm thinking... It's going to drive me batty if I order a 6120 with gold hardware and put one of your stainless steel bridges on it. I just wish there was a 6120 I wanted that didn't have gold hardware.

And yes OP... sweet Falcon.

– Joseph

I tell ya, I have a stainless Tru-arc on my heavily modded orange/gold 5420 and it looks cool. At first I thought it stuck out too much, but I learned to love it.

Gorgeous woman walks into a bar...wearing both gold and silver jewelry.

“Yeah, but her hardware doesn’t match,” said no man, ever.

Congrats on that great looking Falcon!!! And brass sounds great and looks good with gold!

Gorgeous woman walks into a bar...wearing both gold and silver jewelry.

“Yeah, but her hardware doesn’t match,” said no man, ever.

– Proteus

Ha! True. But I'm still picky. I can't even wear my brown Blundstones with a black leather belt. :)

CA-CAWWW! Someone has been watching Gregory Kochery vids...

Got an '04 Silver Falcon, which is pretty much the negative to the White Falcon you have. Beautiful guitars. Mine came with a Tru-Arc bar bridge already on it, which was kinda cool. Only problem is that it seems to deaden the sound of the strings a bit, which is odd (any ideas on what it could be, Proteus?). Stays in tune though, which is the main thing.

Blundstones, Joseph? Get a pair of Redbacks!

What material, which style bridge? Can you post a pic of the bridge from directly above?

Register Sign in to join the conversation