Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD and My First Gretsch

I got the Power Jet on Monday. Took the day off work to enjoy it and enjoy it I did. Like I said in an earlier post this was my first guitar that wasnt a Gibson or Fender and I had been primarily a Gibson guy but Ive always thought Gretsches were cool. I started looking at the Power Jets and decided I had to have one. With no way to try before I bought i took the chance based on all the good info here and im glad I did! First thing I noticed was the quality of construction. This thing has such a nice fit and finish. The best looking guitar Ive ever had. The binding all the way up and around the headstock, the mahogany back, and small headstock just look so killer. After a couple hours of tweaking I had the setup and action just the way I like it. I probably will need to adjust the pickups but it seems to sound pretty good like it is. For now though I dont want to put it down. Its great to have a guitar that is so different then what I am used to because it is already making me do different things to take advantadge of the different tones I get with the Gretsch which I think is going to inspire me to try some new things and push me out of my comfort zone which is great. Anyway here's a few pics. Thanks to everyone here for helping out with good info for a newbie. I need to decide what my next Gretsch will be now......

I cant figure out how to post more than one pic in a post...

Here it is with my other main squeeze. This pic reminds me of the odd couple. That Explorer is an incredibly comfortable easy playing guitar too though. I like black guitars with neck binding...

Congrats and great choice. I have the Power Jets big brother, a Power Tenny. IMO, the Power Jet is the perfect Filter Jet. I've always said if I was only allowed to have one electric guitar, it would be a Power Jet....they can do anything.

Nice axe! Congrats!

Very nice -- congratulations on your great choice! Enjoy!

Congrats, it looks great! Nice Explorer, too.

Before you start adjusting the pickups, check out the TV Jones website - there's some good info there.

TVJ

Congrats, it looks great! Nice Explorer, too.

Before you start adjusting the pickups, check out the TV Jones website - there's some good info there.

TVJ

– Jeff H

Thanks for the heads up. I will go to TV's website and get myself educated a little. One of the members here said I would probably need to make some adjustments but I was unsure about and since it sounds great to my ears already I figured it wasnt a rush. Im playing through a practice amp most of the time but I will plug it into an Orange tube amp tonight and see what the guitar sounds like when I turn it to 11. May need to adjust pickups for that.

Every time I take this thing out of the case I just get happy. Those guys in Japan know how to put together a guitar! Its just flawless.

You've made a nice start on your Gretsch addiction. That's a beauty!

Here it is with my other main squeeze. This pic reminds me of the odd couple. That Explorer is an incredibly comfortable easy playing guitar too though. I like black guitars with neck binding...

– MP-5

Congratulations! This picture is awesome.

I was thinking this guitar may not sound too great on a higher gain type set up but I played it through an Orange OR50 and a Marshall JCM800 plugging straight in and it sounded awesome. Different than the Gibson humbuckers but in a good way. I thought it sounded great clean but it can get really nasty on the loud stuff too. You guys probably already know that but this is totally new territory for me and its been a great surprise. What a killer guitar. Its already becoming my favorite. Thanks for all the positive comments

Register Sign in to join the conversation