Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD (and first post)! ‘13 6120-1959 LTV

Hi, folks.

Been looking for ‘the perfect Gretsch’ for almost a year now. I am really picky when it comes to neck profiles. Playing acoustic a lot and love the profile on my Martin d-18GE, a good and nice semi beefy v-shaped neck. Also have v-shaped necks on three of the electrics I tend to use the most. But, Gretsch with a beefy neck wasn’t easy to find, at least not the right model (6120) or in the sort of right color scheme. From what I’ve read some of the Setzer’s could be it, but they’re hard to find here in Norway, at least used (I seldom buy guitars new). I sort of lost patience now and when the price was good I had to the the G-train.

Random pic, but will provide my own soon (on my way out the door to pick it up).

Looking forward to add ‘that Gretsch sound’ to my arsenal.

That's a beauty. Welcome to a great forum.

Some photos in terrible conditions. It will take some time to get used to the small frets, so let’s cross fingers!

Welcome to the GDP!

Nice guitar. I think you made a great choice.

I've had a few Martin D-18GEs. Unfortunately you won't find a Gretsch with a neck like that.

I've had a few Martin D-18GEs. Unfortunately you won't find a Gretsch with a neck like that.

– captainvideo

That’s what I found out as well. I guess a custom build would be the only option, but I’ll stay clear of that route for now. So far the craftmanship is up where it should be on a guitar like this. Will put on a fresh set of strings and rock out on a slap-back delay patch on my Axe FX II tonight (a Gretsch and a digital preamp must be the weirdest combo ever IMO).

Welcome to the GDP. Nice choice of guitar!

That’s what I found out as well. I guess a custom build would be the only option, but I’ll stay clear of that route for now. So far the craftmanship is up where it should be on a guitar like this. Will put on a fresh set of strings and rock out on a slap-back delay patch on my Axe FX II tonight (a Gretsch and a digital preamp must be the weirdest combo ever IMO).

– HenningBH

Well here's the postive part to it NOT having a Martin D-18GE neck. You can get away with lighter strings, different fretting techniques, etc. I love my D-18GE but I'm glad my 6120 doesn't play like it.

Congratulations!

I really like the way the neck feels on my 6128-DSV Duo Jet. It has a 50s style neck which is around .84" deep at the first fret and is a bit thicker than most other Gretsch guitars I've played.

Nice choice, it's a beauty! Welcome, I hope it brings you much joy.

Thanks! Fun part is that I was looking to try a 1959-LTV a couple of weeks ago but it got away before I had the chance to try it (vacation). When this showed up weeks later I had a feeling that it was the very same guitar that I weeks before wanted to try, though not 100% sure (I know that Norway’s finest hi-end/boutique guitar store have had at least two used ‘13 1959-LTV for sale recent years). Just checked the serial number and compared it to the pic I got from the guy that sold the mentioned 1959, and of course - it’s the exact same guitar. I guess fate lost patience and wanted me to get it this time.

Every guitar has a story, says Joe C.

Welcome to the nut house Henning

Congrats on the LTV ,great geets,i have thing for 6120's myself!

Congrats, the "LTV" version of the 6120 is my favorite, and a huge part of this is the neck shape.

It's a nice soft "Vintage V" that just feels wonderful in my old hands. Hopefully it'll feel good in yours too.

Enjoy.

Sweet Axe! Congrats, and welcome to the GDP.

Welcome!

The D-18GE is a great acoustic.

Register Sign in to join the conversation