Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD and back from a hiatus

Hey everyone! I'm back and have a new 6120. I was cruising Reverb a few days ago and couldn't pass up this 2016 model.

I dig it! Sort of has me gassing for the 59 version

Those are great guitars. Of course, it is hard to not like a 6120 with Dynasonics. Notwithstanding the western motif, get your Duane Eddy on by playing some refrains of Rebel Rouser. That is, in large part, the guitar that made those booming notes famous.

She's gorgeous! Congrats!

Rats! I thought I was done with GAS.

– Bob Howard

Bob. You are. Step back. Revel in the glory that already shines about you.

Gorgeous,congrats sir!

I have a DSW from 2007 ,but i'd love one of these Vintage Select 55's too,yes ,i am greedy.

– Bob Howard

It can never be cured, only held back for awhile.

Captainvideo -- Congrats!!! Beautiful -- and the "backdrop" in your photo (amps) are not too shabby either!!!

Good to see you back!

Nice one! Congrats, Cap!

Congrats and welcome back!

Thanks guys! I read that the necks on these were slighty chunkier than the previous editions. I can confirm from the few reviews I've read of the 6128-53, Cliff Gallup, and now this. These post 2016 models have basically the same neck as the previous iteration. I have a database of 2013-2015 professional series models and this falls right in there.

Infact I'd say the D shape on this is in some ways thinner than say the C on the 2013-2015 6122-62.

But who buys a 6120 looking for a chunky neck?

Nice backdrop too!

– atomicwash

Beautiful guitar and amplifiers. I adore vintage Fender amplifiers, I have an old (1980) Fender 75 Watt combo tube amp, I've owned since 1982. It has a 15"speaker, I set it on top of an early 80's Fender 4x12" cabinet (both are black with the speckled silver front). They last forever and are fairly easy (basic electronics) to keep running. Mine is all tube for the audio, but has a solid state, power supply. Great amplifiers, but very heavy!

Gorgeous,congrats sir!

I have a DSW from 2007 ,but i'd love one of these Vintage Select 55's too,yes ,i am greedy.

– JCHiggy

+1 on being greedy wanting to add one to my 2009 DSW

How's the neck on that? I've wondered if the profile might be a little fatter on those, being "vintage correct". The neck on my CS '57 Jet is noticeably fatter than on my DSW and I loooove it! ...was one of the things that sold me on it.

+1 on being greedy wanting to add one to my 2009 DSW

How's the neck on that? I've wondered if the profile might be a little fatter on those, being "vintage correct". The neck on my CS '57 Jet is noticeably fatter than on my DSW and I loooove it! ...was one of the things that sold me on it.

– WillieDSW

No fatter than the previous models. Pretty much the same. First fret depth is .833-.840
But that said, there's an original '60 on Wildwood with a .820 1st fret.

So what is "vintage correct?"

Are these called vintage select or golden era? I played one at store recently and it was absolutely superb

This one has GE in the model #. So I'm assuming "golden era."

The neck on the Vintage Select 55 6120 that was in my local had a chunkier neck than my 07 DSW ,it was quite noticeable to me.

So the necks must have changed after 07 ,though i've never played any other DSW's,so...

What i love about these new guitars is that they looked really nice ,where as my DSW is, a bit plasticky looking.

The neck on the Vintage Select 55 6120 that was in my local had a chunkier neck than my 07 DSW ,it was quite noticeable to me.

So the necks must have changed after 07 ,though i've never played any other DSW's,so...

What i love about these new guitars is that they looked really nice ,where as my DSW is, a bit plasticky looking.

– JCHiggy

All I can compare it to is the dozen or so 2012-2015 models I went through and it's about the same. I've been reading through Ed Ball's book and most of the adds for 6120s state they have a magical slim neck.

– JCHiggy

Interesting comment on the finish. I feel my DSW has probably the best non-nitro finished guitars I've come across. Love the color and off-white binding and it's not very glossy. 2009 so it could have changed???

Register Sign in to join the conversation