Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD-an Oops Country Club stays in the family!

That's a mighty fine thing right there, Bob. Glad I happened to show up here this morning to see it. Well done you. You gotta love a Caddy tail and I like the guard. We've got this one logged in the log?

Thanks, Steve. I put it in the GDP registry right away. You know, I think I remember playing yours (unplugged) in Phila’s front parlor may have had a hand in starting this obsession, at least partly (yours and Zig’s). Thanks for that. I’m giddy.

See how high Jay had the pole pieces set? I have some spacers and will raise the pup body and lower the pole pieces. It sounds wonderful but it might be able to sound even better.

It's just possible ex-shredder Jay/Taylor had some high-end hearing loss...

Congrats again Bob,glad to see it arrived safe!

If i ever get a Club, green or blonde ,i'm putting a Caddy Tail on it,cause it looks fab!

Thanks JC. It is fab, ain’t it?

We've got this one logged in the log? Nobody

If you mean is it logged into your Oops list, yes, it’s listed as Gretschman36’s, which is fine by me. It will always be the Gretschman36 to me.

Not sure what brand strings it came with but they were 10s. I have been amazed at the tone and playability, but I mess with stuff. That’s what I do. So last evening I put 11s on, DR Pure Blues. At first I thought “this is different.” But listen to that tone. It is so clear and articulate, I seem to be playing better and the tone is more alive. I’m sold.

Thanks, fellas.

Tim, you are more than a little responsible for my current big, pickin’ grin, so thanks muchly.

Dave, I love the bound guard. I just wish it was a tad more Gretsch shaped, but I’m getting over it. I love the look of a big, old, blonde with tort binding like yours and Rob’s. The look of Crowbone’s blonde Jet with tort surrounds first intrigued me. Then Paul Pigot’s custom and then playing Rob’s in Nashville sealed the deal. I think could make do with a nice photo.

GG, proud to be amoung ya.

NJ, blonde on blonde is my motto.

– Bob Howard

I think the shape of the replacement guard is perfect because it comes with the stunning binding. IMO, the fact the finish is natural (which everyone knows is my favorite1 ) allows the guard's binding to stand out better than it would against the black of a sunburst finish. And by standing out, it's noticeable that it matches the black of the Dyna & headstock faces.

This binding, both on the guitar's body, neck, headstock and guard is my favorite along with the tort I have. Your guard is a better shape than the Gretsch original and has the elegance factor practically all guards lack.

Thanks Dave. I agree about all the binding elegance. I personally prefer the shape of the Gretsch guard but that, no doubt, is from decades of imprinting the shape on my mind. I was going to ask you about the guy who makes bound pickguards overseas but then, I think i’ll just get used to this one. It sure looks as classy as it sounds.

Congrats Bob, and a "thank you" for adopting a GDP family member. Gretschman36 would be proud, I'm sure.

Thanks Dave. I agree about all the binding elegance. I personally prefer the shape of the Gretsch guard but that, no doubt, is from decades of imprinting the shape on my mind. I was going to ask you about the guy who makes bound pickguards overseas but then, I think i’ll just get used to this one. It sure looks as classy as it sounds.

– Bob Howard

WEll, the fellow's name is Frank, in the Netherlands. I think his handle is fws6 but others will know for sure. I'm sure you'll get used to this shape pretty quick.

Congratulations, Bob. Looks really nice!

Thanks Greg. I’m now a little less jealous of yours. Now to work on my Rancher envy.

Beautiful Bob! We should knock some wood together. Maybe I'll be down your way this summer sometime, and if I am, I'll bring the Rancher.

caddy tailpieces on country clubs is one of my edicts for when i'm in charge. damn near any gretsch- if it doesn't have a bigsby, it gets a caddy. unless it needs the harp.

not minding the pickguard, but i do think tort would be the way to go. as a whole, i love this more than i should. and as an avowed grey/purple country club guy who finally gave up that dream in favor of the new 55 ge white falcon, it pains me to say that the oopsie clubs aren't that bad looking. if only we could hear such a thing- a dearth of cilps and videos on these things, and dyna clubs in general.

I myself have been a grey/purple country club guy and a Cad Green guy, too. But I’m a blonde guy at heart.

Funny thing, I’ve been thinking about going tortoise. I was leaning toward leaving it as is but I’m getting a lot of static crackle from this guard (due to, no doubt, the specific material it’s made of), crackle that goes away when I take it off. I’ve heard that two or three ply isn’t as electric-staticky and I’ve experienced switching to Bakelite kills the crackle.

She's a beauty! Congrats and I love the Tailpiece.

you could attempt to shield the pickguard with a couple sheets of copper and some adhesive spray. or you could find the most ostentatiously bound tortoise guard and go with that. either way.

really, it depends on the shape. you have a fair amount of options. i may prefer to see some gretschiness retained if at all possible, but what works works. maybe a giant synchromatic guard would fit? those are pretty sweet.

Killer guitar!

I like the pickguard but I think the guitar would look even better with none.

Then you would have a naked blonde "Oops" Country Club.

Killer guitar!

I like the pickguard but I think the guitar would look even better with none.

Then you would have a naked blonde "Oops" Country Club.

– BuddyHollywood

My favorite kind.

Register Sign in to join the conversation