Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD: 6134TDC-LTD15 Broadway Jade Penguin

PS: How's the intonation? I guess slightly off with the stock .11s? That's what was the case with my red Falcon ... switching to .10 though solved it ... spot-on with Gibson Vintage Reissue.

PPS: There's still this horrible GAS for this Penguin ;)

– Aymara

When it arrived it had unknown brand 9s on it. The intonation is a bit off and its a pinned bridge. I will be unpinning it so I can get the most exact intonation with the SerpenTune when it's installed.

That's a beautiful guitar!

I just picked up a new guitar from Rocky at StreetSounds. I'll write the story on my 26 hour flight home and add it to my Balto-DC Roundup post. I did play a Silver Falcon, a Red Betty, and a Steven Stern Custom Shop Penguin (man, what a nice guitar!!) over the last couple of days.

Brian_66, I think you got the Aussie member ...

But speaking of Aussie's, I'm moving to Sydney in a few months so would love to meet up with you audept. Let me know via PM, and we can chat.

That's a beautiful guitar!

I just picked up a new guitar from Rocky at StreetSounds. I'll write the story on my 26 hour flight home and add it to my Balto-DC Roundup post. I did play a Silver Falcon, a Red Betty, and a Steven Stern Custom Shop Penguin (man, what a nice guitar!!) over the last couple of days.

Brian_66, I think you got the Aussie member ...

But speaking of Aussie's, I'm moving to Sydney in a few months so would love to meet up with you audept. Let me know via PM, and we can chat.

– Adsy81

Love to meet up! PM sent.

The bar bridges don't intonate very well with the NYXL strings, the plain-G string in particular. The Serpentune intonation is spot-on.

– audept

Good to know about the Serpentune in case I can't resist the GAS

Though the ABM 2400, that serves me well on my Panther, might be also worth a thought.

Good to know about the Serpentune in case I can't resist the GAS

Though the ABM 2400, that serves me well on my Panther, might be also worth a thought.

– Aymara

I actually bought an ABM 2400 last year after reading your posts. If the SerpenTunes hadn't worked out, I was going to try the ABM. Very happy with the SerpenTunes so I never tried it. I'm really time poor (lazy) so I should spend more time experimenting and do a direct comparison on one of my guitars.

Congrats, Audept! She's a beauty! I've been looking at the Jade Penguin for a while, too. However, I ended up pulling the trigger on another Gretsch. I'll write up a NGD when it arrives next week.

I actually bought an ABM 2400 last year after reading your posts. If the SerpenTunes hadn't worked out, I was going to try the ABM. Very happy with the SerpenTunes so I never tried it. I'm really time poor (lazy) so I should spend more time experimenting and do a direct comparison on one of my guitars.

– audept

Being in Germany an ABM is easier to get, than a True-Arc or Compton, which I would need to order from the US ... much more hassle.

I'm happy though, that I could keep the stock True-Arc on my Falcon, because the Gibson Vintage Reissue in .10, which I use to tame the brightness of this beast, intonate spot-on. I love the round design of the standard True-Arc, because I use a lot of palm muting and it's the most comfortable bridge I ever used.

Because of this Falcon experience regarding intonation, I asked myself if .10 might intonate as well on the Penguin.

I hate it ... I have no chance to try it out and would be forced to order online. And I prefer the "try before you buy".

Being in Germany an ABM is easier to get, than a True-Arc or Compton, which I would need to order from the US ... much more hassle.

I'm happy though, that I could keep the stock True-Arc on my Falcon, because the Gibson Vintage Reissue in .10, which I use to tame the brightness of this beast, intonate spot-on. I love the round design of the standard True-Arc, because I use a lot of palm muting and it's the most comfortable bridge I ever used.

Because of this Falcon experience regarding intonation, I asked myself if .10 might intonate as well on the Penguin.

I hate it ... I have no chance to try it out and would be forced to order online. And I prefer the "try before you buy".

– Aymara

Ha. Living in Australia, I have no choice but to buy online and hope it's going to work. I had some of Tim's standard Tru-Arc bar bridges and I knew he would only release a new bridge if it was as good or better than the original. Your Falcon is 25.5" scale versus the 24.6" scale on the Penguin. On my 25.5" Fenders I use one lower gauge than on my Gretsch, so I would expect you would need 11s on the Penguin to get the same tension feel as you like on the Falcon.

Ha. Living in Australia, I have no choice but to buy online and hope it's going to work.

That is SO true!

Ha. Living in Australia, I have no choice but to buy online and hope it's going to work. I had some of Tim's standard Tru-Arc bar bridges and I knew he would only release a new bridge if it was as good or better than the original. Your Falcon is 25.5" scale versus the 24.6" scale on the Penguin. On my 25.5" Fenders I use one lower gauge than on my Gretsch, so I would expect you would need 11s on the Penguin to get the same tension feel as you like on the Falcon.

– audept

I always use .10s, no matter the scale length, even on my Les Paul. So I should use .9s on 25.5" scale, but the high E breaks too easily for my taste and they wouldn't intonate properly on the True-Arc with pinned base. So .10s are the ideal compromise for me. I hate .11s and .12s even on acoustics ... I usually call them finger slicers But that's just personal taste.

Btw, I guess the Penguin has a similar scale length as my Panther, right?

I always use .10s, no matter the scale length, even on my Les Paul. So I should use .9s on 25.5" scale, but the high E breaks too easily for my taste and they wouldn't intonate properly on the True-Arc with pinned base. So .10s are the ideal compromise for me. I hate .11s and .12s even on acoustics ... I usually call them finger slicers But that's just personal taste.

Btw, I guess the Penguin has a similar scale length as my Panther, right?

– Aymara

Yes, it's the same 24.6" scale as the Panther. I don't own any 25.5" scale Gretschs since I sold my 3161 Historic.

Very nice, indeed, congrats! Mrs. giffenf even said that was a very attractive guitar when she saw it at the NAMM Show. I always take that to mean it's OK if I buy one, but I haven't been able to afford to do that so far. Enjoy!

I couldn't resist to join the Broadway Jade Club

I found this by chance on Gretsch's Facebook page ... the singer of Two Door Cinema Club uses this Penguin on stage:

Register Sign in to join the conversation