Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD: 6134TDC-LTD15 Broadway Jade Penguin

PS: How's the intonation? I guess slightly off with the stock .11s? That's what was the case with my red Falcon ... switching to .10 though solved it ... spot-on with Gibson Vintage Reissue.

PPS: There's still this horrible GAS for this Penguin ;)

– Aymara

When it arrived it had unknown brand 9s on it. The intonation is a bit off and its a pinned bridge. I will be unpinning it so I can get the most exact intonation with the SerpenTune when it's installed.

That's a beautiful guitar!

I just picked up a new guitar from Rocky at StreetSounds. I'll write the story on my 26 hour flight home and add it to my Balto-DC Roundup post. I did play a Silver Falcon, a Red Betty, and a Steven Stern Custom Shop Penguin (man, what a nice guitar!!) over the last couple of days.

Brian_66, I think you got the Aussie member ...

But speaking of Aussie's, I'm moving to Sydney in a few months so would love to meet up with you audept. Let me know via PM, and we can chat.

That's a beautiful guitar!

I just picked up a new guitar from Rocky at StreetSounds. I'll write the story on my 26 hour flight home and add it to my Balto-DC Roundup post. I did play a Silver Falcon, a Red Betty, and a Steven Stern Custom Shop Penguin (man, what a nice guitar!!) over the last couple of days.

Brian_66, I think you got the Aussie member ...

But speaking of Aussie's, I'm moving to Sydney in a few months so would love to meet up with you audept. Let me know via PM, and we can chat.

– Adsy81

Love to meet up! PM sent.

The bar bridges don't intonate very well with the NYXL strings, the plain-G string in particular. The Serpentune intonation is spot-on.

– audept

Good to know about the Serpentune in case I can't resist the GAS

Though the ABM 2400, that serves me well on my Panther, might be also worth a thought.

Good to know about the Serpentune in case I can't resist the GAS

Though the ABM 2400, that serves me well on my Panther, might be also worth a thought.

– Aymara

I actually bought an ABM 2400 last year after reading your posts. If the SerpenTunes hadn't worked out, I was going to try the ABM. Very happy with the SerpenTunes so I never tried it. I'm really time poor (lazy) so I should spend more time experimenting and do a direct comparison on one of my guitars.

Congrats, Audept! She's a beauty! I've been looking at the Jade Penguin for a while, too. However, I ended up pulling the trigger on another Gretsch. I'll write up a NGD when it arrives next week.

I actually bought an ABM 2400 last year after reading your posts. If the SerpenTunes hadn't worked out, I was going to try the ABM. Very happy with the SerpenTunes so I never tried it. I'm really time poor (lazy) so I should spend more time experimenting and do a direct comparison on one of my guitars.

– audept

Being in Germany an ABM is easier to get, than a True-Arc or Compton, which I would need to order from the US ... much more hassle.

I'm happy though, that I could keep the stock True-Arc on my Falcon, because the Gibson Vintage Reissue in .10, which I use to tame the brightness of this beast, intonate spot-on. I love the round design of the standard True-Arc, because I use a lot of palm muting and it's the most comfortable bridge I ever used.

Because of this Falcon experience regarding intonation, I asked myself if .10 might intonate as well on the Penguin.

I hate it ... I have no chance to try it out and would be forced to order online. And I prefer the "try before you buy".

Being in Germany an ABM is easier to get, than a True-Arc or Compton, which I would need to order from the US ... much more hassle.

I'm happy though, that I could keep the stock True-Arc on my Falcon, because the Gibson Vintage Reissue in .10, which I use to tame the brightness of this beast, intonate spot-on. I love the round design of the standard True-Arc, because I use a lot of palm muting and it's the most comfortable bridge I ever used.

Because of this Falcon experience regarding intonation, I asked myself if .10 might intonate as well on the Penguin.

I hate it ... I have no chance to try it out and would be forced to order online. And I prefer the "try before you buy".

– Aymara

Ha. Living in Australia, I have no choice but to buy online and hope it's going to work. I had some of Tim's standard Tru-Arc bar bridges and I knew he would only release a new bridge if it was as good or better than the original. Your Falcon is 25.5" scale versus the 24.6" scale on the Penguin. On my 25.5" Fenders I use one lower gauge than on my Gretsch, so I would expect you would need 11s on the Penguin to get the same tension feel as you like on the Falcon.

Ha. Living in Australia, I have no choice but to buy online and hope it's going to work.

That is SO true!

Ha. Living in Australia, I have no choice but to buy online and hope it's going to work. I had some of Tim's standard Tru-Arc bar bridges and I knew he would only release a new bridge if it was as good or better than the original. Your Falcon is 25.5" scale versus the 24.6" scale on the Penguin. On my 25.5" Fenders I use one lower gauge than on my Gretsch, so I would expect you would need 11s on the Penguin to get the same tension feel as you like on the Falcon.

– audept

I always use .10s, no matter the scale length, even on my Les Paul. So I should use .9s on 25.5" scale, but the high E breaks too easily for my taste and they wouldn't intonate properly on the True-Arc with pinned base. So .10s are the ideal compromise for me. I hate .11s and .12s even on acoustics ... I usually call them finger slicers But that's just personal taste.

Btw, I guess the Penguin has a similar scale length as my Panther, right?

I always use .10s, no matter the scale length, even on my Les Paul. So I should use .9s on 25.5" scale, but the high E breaks too easily for my taste and they wouldn't intonate properly on the True-Arc with pinned base. So .10s are the ideal compromise for me. I hate .11s and .12s even on acoustics ... I usually call them finger slicers But that's just personal taste.

Btw, I guess the Penguin has a similar scale length as my Panther, right?

– Aymara

Yes, it's the same 24.6" scale as the Panther. I don't own any 25.5" scale Gretschs since I sold my 3161 Historic.

Very nice, indeed, congrats! Mrs. giffenf even said that was a very attractive guitar when she saw it at the NAMM Show. I always take that to mean it's OK if I buy one, but I haven't been able to afford to do that so far. Enjoy!

I couldn't resist to join the Broadway Jade Club

I found this by chance on Gretsch's Facebook page ... the singer of Two Door Cinema Club uses this Penguin on stage:

After oiling fretboard and bridge base, I decided to try out Gibson Brite Wires in .10 ... very nice, slightly more overtones and better playbility.

And the best is, intonation is now spot on. It seems, Gretsches with pinned bar bridges love Gibson strings in .10 ... after switching to Gibson Vintage Reissue in .10 on my Falcon with a True-Arc I had the same experience, spot-on intonation.

Register Sign in to join the conversation