Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD - 6121 (Roundup)

I'm sure you all saw this on that echo-y music selling site but it's mine now. I've been jonesing for one of these (or a DSW) for years. Actually bought a 2005 but it arrived with a snapped headstock so back it went. This one, all good. I have 2 Strats and 2 Teles and compared to them action is really low, neck radius really flat and frets really small. But I like it! This is my first ever humbucker guitar too. I'm not getting much thumpy low E or A though. I'll have to see about that. Now to get a Gretsch cowboy strap.....

Go to the TVJones website for specifics on setting the polepieces properly. A Gretsch and a Princeton are a perfect match. Congrats.

Congrats! This one is on my bucket list.

I'm not getting much thumpy low E or A though.

That's the deal with most humbucker guitars. Compared to a single-coil they just don't have that snap and twang. (And don't be fooled by people claiming theirs have.) I have played some very lively ones that come close but even those are rare. Setting up the pole-pieces as TV Jones recommends is a good and no-cost idea. If you're not happy afterwards he has some great options of pickups in Filtertron housings. T-Armond, P90 etc. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Congrats! This one is on my bucket list.

– UncleGrumpy

The DSW is what's left on mine.

Register Sign in to join the conversation