Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD 1995 6120-60

Ooooh, I'm definitely interested in hearing how the RBs sound in this. Especially compared to the Ceramic FTs. If you get the chance to do a before->after recording I'm all ears.

– sascha

Oh man, I would, but All I have is my iPhone, and that wouldn’t do either pickup any justice.

I like the ceramics all right. I much prefer the HS trons in my 2004 Falcon which sound incredible to me. I was going to order a set of those for this guitar, but I figured since I really want to try the RB’s, I might as well throw them in!

All the demos I have I heard of the Butts pu's have been impressive. Good choice. I have a SS Tru Arc on my Power Tenny and it made a measurable difference in playability and tone to a guitar that already played really well and sounded great.

I put a pair of Ray's pups in my Super Chet. These were made by Ray himself in his workshop back in the '90's. They're very ohms at ~14 & they have terrific tonal range. I'm sure TV's are as sensational as the reports we hear. A comparison will be interesting.

If I said it had a beautiful body could I hold it against me?

Congrats and many hours of delighted playing...

Found a spare ebony bridge base that fits my SS Tru-arc. Fits great, and it’s a HUGE improvement.

Just ordered some TVJ Ray Butts Filtertrons with PAF covers.

– Calebaaron666

Now you’re talking!

All the demos I have I heard of the Butts pu's have been impressive. Good choice. I have a SS Tru Arc on my Power Tenny and it made a measurable difference in playability and tone to a guitar that already played really well and sounded great.

– Gretschadelphia

Yessir, every Gretschie should experience a stainless steel tru-arc at some point in their life.

I put my first one on my old 5129 with dearmond 2000s, and the SS MADE that guitar.

I first tried a SS Tru-arc on my SSLVO when Tim first started making them. I didn't like it very much. Then last year I got my VS Jet and tried a SS Compton I had because anything was going to be better than the stock space control. I really liked the Compton but it wasn't compensated, so I thought what the hell and got a SS Serpentune for the Jet. While I was at it I got one for the SSLVO and now I love 'em on my Gretsches. Tuning stability has improved greatly on the SSLVO over the old TOM, and is remarkable on the Jet.

One day I must try the RB 'trons but I'm so happy with what I have right now the need is not pressing.

TV Jones Ray Butts Full-Fidelity Filtertrons! Incredible pickups.

TV Jones Ray Butts Full-Fidelity Filtertrons! Incredible pickups.

– Calebaaron666

That was fast! Those 90’s Filters sound sterile and kinda brittle to me. I don’t like them. The RB’s must be a huge improvement.

That was fast! Those 90’s Filters sound sterile and kinda brittle to me. I don’t like them. The RB’s must be a huge improvement.

– Powertronman

Yeah, I thought the ceramic Filtertrons kind of sounded like the blacktops that came out of my 5420. I didn’t hate them, but you’re right, the RB’s are a massive improvement.

Yeah, I thought the ceramic Filtertrons kind of sounded like the blacktops that came out of my 5420. I didn’t hate them, but you’re right, the RB’s are a massive improvement.

– Calebaaron666

Do you play outside or at home? I'd really like to know how they sound with overdrive in a band context.

Do you play outside or at home? I'd really like to know how they sound with overdrive in a band context.

– sascha

I play out with a band. I just put these in yesterday so I’ve only had a chance to play them alone so far. I definitely played them overdriven because my base tone is a deluxe reverb with the volume at 6-7. They sounded incredible. I couldn’t get a muddy tone with my rig if I tried. Even the neck pickup sparkles.

I have band practice this evening and I’ll be trying them with a drummer. Very excited to hear what they got!

That sounds very interesting. Thanks! Please keep us updated.

I have the same '95 model. Bought new. I knew nothing about the difference between models. As fate would have it, the 6120-60 was the only one in stock. By far the best I've ever played. I really like the zero fret. I play rhythm mostly. Barre chords up the neck effortlessly, ridiculously low action. I have an ebony bridge and saddle that sounds sweet. Try some Thomastik Infeld 11's next time you change strings. You have a great instrument there.

I have the same '95 model. Bought new. I knew nothing about the difference between models. As fate would have it, the 6120-60 was the only one in stock. By far the best I've ever played. I really like the zero fret. I play rhythm mostly. Barre chords up the neck effortlessly, ridiculously low action. I have an ebony bridge and saddle that sounds sweet. Try some Thomastik Infeld 11's next time you change strings. You have a great instrument there.

Register Sign in to join the conversation