Modern Gretsch Guitars

NGD 1995 6120-60

I received a 25 year old 6120-60 today!!

The ad said “mint” and it’s about as mint a guitar I could hope for at the price I got it.

I wiped it down, restrung it, shimmed the neck pup to height, put some rosin on the underside of the bridge base, and installed strap locks.

It hits the stage tonight!!

I kind of want a legit “Nashville” or “Chet Atkins” sign post pickguard eventually.

IMHO the best modern era pre-FMIC Gretsch model. Does yours have the kerfing? Mine doesn't and has thick sides instead. That makes it usable for higher volumes and overdrive.

Congrats!

IMHO the best modern era pre-FMIC Gretsch model. Does yours have the kerfing? Mine doesn't and has thick sides instead. That makes it usable for higher volumes and overdrive.

Congrats!

– sascha

No kerfing. It definitely feeds back a little less than my Falcon does. I play loud and overdriven so I’m used to controlling it.

Congrats! I agree with Sascha. Mine is from 1996 also without the kerfing, never knew that!

Nice score! My '98 6120 BB doesn't have kerfing either. Are you going to dump that space control bridge. They were never a bright idea, not being adjustable for intonation.

Nice score! My '98 6120 BB doesn't have kerfing either. Are you going to dump that space control bridge. They were never a bright idea, not being adjustable for intonation.

– Windsordave

I was going to pop the serpentune from my 5420 on there, but it doesn’t fit! The posts are about 1.5mm to far apart!! Haha

For now the SC will stay. The intonation is good enough for my purposes.

Wouldn't you just swap bridge & base, no? Why leave on the original base?

By all accounts the best, stock, Pre-FMIC 6120 out there. Play'er in good health!

Wouldn't you just swap bridge & base, no? Why leave on the original base?

– Windsordave

I would, but the rosewood base on the 5420 with the serpentune comes from the factory screwed and secured right to the body. And today is not the day to sand a contour into a new base. I have a gig tonight, and I really didn’t feel like it.

Looks nice. Congratulations!

I've had a couple of these; 5 ply top and tonepost, and built like a tank. Ceramic filters, and a neck that reminds me of the Gibson 60s slim taper. Great guitars.

Congrats again Caleb!

My '99 Setzer Sig was built like that - no kerfing and thicker sides. It was indeed quite resistant to feedback, easily as resistant if not more so than my current '14 SSLVO with trestle bracing.

Congrats.....a vintage reissue of a vintage reissue. Very cool guitar, kind of a cross between vintage accurate and pre-FMIC features and it really does look like it was just unboxed from the factory.

Love the look. Congrats and enjoy ...

Found a spare ebony bridge base that fits my SS Tru-arc. Fits great, and it’s a HUGE improvement.

Just ordered some TVJ Ray Butts Filtertrons with PAF covers.

Found a spare ebony bridge base that fits my SS Tru-arc. Fits great, and it’s a HUGE improvement.

– Calebaaron666

+1 on the RB's from TV.

My favorites.

– Calebaaron666

Ooooh, I'm definitely interested in hearing how the RBs sound in this. Especially compared to the Ceramic FTs. If you get the chance to do a before->after recording I'm all ears.

Register Sign in to join the conversation