Modern Gretsch Guitars

New video of Steve Wariner walking you through his new sig. model G…

Love Steve Wariner, so happy to see him enjoy his new Gretsch signature model, the Nashville Gentleman.

That's very cool. Will this be the first sig model with a push/pull switch? That's a cool idea and It's very cool how he plugged Tru-Arc and TVJones. I like this model very much.

Man, that is one cool guitar. I should have ordered one at NAMM! Oh well. No time like the present!

Sort of merged 2 separate 1960s model names into one. He used to be a diehard Tele guy but maybe has come around and dig the b/w pix of Chet with a Nashville amp

Steve demonstrated this at Street Sounds in June. What a beautiful guitar! Standing in the middle of the room, we weren’t certain whether it was black or something else. It’s based off of the Country Gentleman 6122-1958.

He played it and was accompanied by his son who I believe played a White Falcon 6136T-62 with Ray Butts Ful-Fidelity pickups. I don’t recall what amps were used. I thought that the Falcon was a great guitar with those pickups, but definitely was more impressed with Steve’s tone with the Duo-Tron neck and Classic-Plus bridge pickups. One might argue player, amp, etc. but his son is no slouch and had just come off a tour and can hold his own.

If I was in the market, Steve’s guitar would be a strong contender.

Love the specs on this guitar. It could possibly get me out of retirement, to work again just to get one.

Unfortunately, I threw away my alarm clock, and have no intentions of listening to one again. Lol

Using the Chet signpost on the pickguard, sacreligious!

Using the Chet signpost on the pickguard, sacreligious!

– JazzBoxJunky

If you look closely it has his signature on the signpost. As a CGP himself, I think it’s allowed ;)

That sounds awesome. Congrats to Steve. He seems genuinely proud of this. He deserves it. Also congrats to Tim on the choice to use his bridge. This very well might be my next Gretsch.

Wow, 25.5 scale length on a 6120 and closed F-holes. I can see why they call it a Nashville Gentleman. Push-pull coil splitting - about time Gretsch put this on some models.

Not crazy about the looks, but I really like the idea of the trestle bracing, no F-holes and longer scale on a 6120 sized body. Very cool.

From my perspective, but not being in the market for any new guitar, it needs the wider neck and a Chet arm, not the plain one that comes on most Gretsches. I like the coil splitting feature and no mud switch. His explanation regarding having a metallic nut was succinct and spot on.

Beautiful guitar...... Call me ignorant but I’ve never heard of the guy. I guess he hung out with Chet.
I do like his choices that went into creating the guitar.

Wow! That's a great intro video, creating the artist's context and explaining the reasons for his spec choices. I do dig the smart mix of specs too, an ideal mashup of 6120 and Gent. Size, scale, closed body, bracing, control set, coil tap.

I also had no idea this was coming till a short time ago. So you know. Color me surprised! I'm honored that Tru-Arc is included, and it is nice he mentioned it in the video. Very cool. I've tried to drop Steve a thank-you through the contact link at his website; hopefully his people there will forward it on to him.

Didn't realize he's a Hoosier boy too.

+1 on the longer scale. I'd love if my Hot Rod were 25.5"

I like open f-holes tho.

"a brass nut so the strings sound the same played open as when they do fretted"... I never thought of that, but it makes sense! I wonder about tuning stability with metal going through metal? (well, if Steve spec'ed it, I guess tuning stability is fine... altho if you like a different gauge string than he does...???)

Cool guitar. Kind of a mix between a Gent and a Tenny.

I like open f-holes tho.

"a brass nut so the strings sound the same played open as when they do fretted"... I never thought of that, but it makes sense! I wonder about tuning stability with metal going through metal? (well, if Steve spec'ed it, I guess tuning stability is fine... altho if you like a different gauge string than he does...???)

– ruger9

I used to dislike brass nuts, until I got my -58 Gent.

The more time I spent with it, the more I liked it. It does add to the even tone of open/fretted notes. Just like a zero fret does.

Only tuning issues that I've had is when I don't wind a string like I should, and that's all on me.

My -58 is right up there for being a stable, great souding, and easy playing guitar.

That piece of brass is staying put.

I like open f-holes tho.

– ruger9

You can sand or file brass just like any other nut material.

I like the specs on the guitar as well, but not sure about the finish. I'd have to see it in person. I really like the decision to go with master tone & volume.

I used to dislike brass nuts, until I got my -58 Gent.

The more time I spent with it, the more I liked it. It does add to the even tone of open/fretted notes. Just like a zero fret does.

Only tuning issues that I've had is when I don't wind a string like I should, and that's all on me.

My -58 is right up there for being a stable, great souding, and easy playing guitar.

That piece of brass is staying put.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

With my fingerstyle playing using a lot of open strings with fretted notes, the zero fret is another feature of the Super Chet I appreciate.

Just an aside: What's the name of that Chet cover Steve Wariner is playing starting at about 4:46?

Just an aside: What's the name of that Chet cover Steve Wariner is playing starting at about 4:46?

– Jim Krause

The entire video is 4:46 Jim. What is the actual time to look for?

Oops.....I should have looked a little closer. He starts that tune at about 1:03. I pulled out all my Chet boxed sets, and I don't think it was included. Or maybe I missed it. Pretty tune.

Register Sign in to join the conversation