Modern Gretsch Guitars

New player’s edition 6228 jets

Anyone have any thoughts or hands-on experience with these? At first I really didn't like them but they're really growing on me now everytime I look at them, especially the Cadillac green version. Initially I didn't like the sort of non-traditional build/appearance but once I really looked into them they seem to be exactly what I really want; all the things I love about jets and les pauls in one package!

Wow, nobody? Guess ill just roll the dice and get one...

Dont take offense. It has been my observation that since the introduction of the PE and VS models, there really hasn't been too many NGD posts from GDP members who have bought models from either of these lines.

I'm not sure what to make of this, other than no one really seems to have the dough to buy brand-new Pro Line guitars at the moment.

I'm I alone in this observation?

Yeah, they're relatively new models. I would check with local stores or go to a roundup. From the videos I've seen/heard they look and sound great.

Dont take offense. It has been my observation that since the introduction of the PE and VS models, there really hasn't been too many NGD posts from GDP members who have bought models from either of these lines.

I'm not sure what to make of this, other than no one really seems to have the dough to buy brand-new Pro Line guitars at the moment.

I'm I alone in this observation?

– AndyJ

Another possiblity is that these guitars seem aimed more at luring in non-Gretsch specific customers, so you'll see less people on a Gretsch forum buying them.

If you give a Jet a post mounted bridge and much lower neck angle, a stop tailpiece and full-size humbuckers, is it stil a Jet? At the very least a Jet with a solid injection of Les Paul DNA if you ask me.

Another possiblity is that these guitars seem aimed more at luring in non-Gretsch specific customers, so you'll see less people on a Gretsch forum buying them.

If you give a Jet a post mounted bridge and much lower neck angle, a stop tailpiece and full-size humbuckers, is it stil a Jet? At the very least a Jet with a solid injection of Les Paul DNA if you ask me.

– WB

Good point regarding the PE models, Walter. I haven't seen the VS models getting much love (or at least not enough to purchase) either, though.

It looks to me that the neck on the PE is still set higher than a les Paul; i.e., not flush with the body, but about half as high as a VS. This seems appealing to me combined with that subtly sculpted neck heel. I kinda hated them at first but I'm really drawn to the black and green ones right now. I have a chance to trade my LP and Tele for a new 53 vs duo jet, but I'm not really sure I want to do that until I can find more info about these

Are the broad'trons the same size as filtertrons? Like could TV classics just drop in?

from looking at pictures, it looks like they're....ahem...."broader"

from looking at pictures, it looks like they're....ahem...."broader"

– WB

Hahaha, upon closer inspection I think you're right. Forget it, gonna aim for the 53 VS, I hear nothing but good things about the T Armonds, cant wait to get something with those

The Jets I tried at NAMM 2018 didn't inspire me like my 2011 DSV Duo Jet does. I am not a fan of the thick finishes that seem to be on all current FMIC guitars. It muffles the natural resonance of the guitar and makes me not want to play them. The playability is still like a great Gretsch guitar should be and they sound great plugged in. If I didn't know the difference it may not bother me but I do know the difference. Maybe this is just the way they are being made now.

I noticed that myself, even compared to my 2016 silver jet the finish seemed thicker, but that's really my only gripe, far outweighed by the improved specs like T Armonds, electronics, bone nut, deeper body etc. I've got one on hold at my local shop right now, looks like ill be back in the Gretsch club by next week!

Sorry to say but I wasn’t crazy about them either. They just weren’t “jet” enough and definately more geared to the PRS market

Sorry to say but I wasn’t crazy about them either. They just weren’t “jet” enough and definately more geared to the PRS market

– paul pigat

I think they seem cool if you take them as their own thing, but I didn't get why they made them sooo close to the new electro jets, I know there are differences but in pictures they look the same til you read the specs. I still think the black and gold looks cool, like an old Ric 620 color scheme

Congratulations! I am excited for you and look forward to your review once you get into playing it.

I think they seem cool if you take them as their own thing, but I didn't get why they made them sooo close to the new electro jets, I know there are differences but in pictures they look the same til you read the specs.

If I was in charge of the website, I would never let the Electromatic Jets and Pro Line Jets appear on the same page. It's interesting that the Jets are the only "family" you can pick that intermingles Electromatics and Pro Lines. When it's not obvious side by side (at least from the website images) which is the $550 guitar and which is the $2200 guitar, it may not inspire newcomers to seek out and take the plunge on the Pro Line.

I think they seem cool if you take them as their own thing, but I didn't get why they made them sooo close to the new electro jets, I know there are differences but in pictures they look the same til you read the specs.

If I was in charge of the website, I would never let the Electromatic Jets and Pro Line Jets appear on the same page. It's interesting that the Jets are the only "family" you can pick that intermingles Electromatics and Pro Lines. When it's not obvious side by side (at least from the website images) which is the $550 guitar and which is the $2200 guitar, it may not inspire newcomers to seek out and take the plunge on the Pro Line.

– Afire

I agree with you. To us gretsch guys, the tiny differences can be huge, but to someone looking to get into a first time gretsch, I feel like the mindset now will be "why spend $2200 when I can get seemingly the same thing for $550?" They may have shot themselves in the foot a bit. When I had an electromatic jet, then got a proline 6129, the difference was HUGE, and so immediately obvious. Funny that it bothers me so much with gretsch, but when fender does the same thing I don't care lol, almost happy about the gap closing. I guess I just don't have the same emotional attachment to a fender

Those tension-bar Bigsby's make me queasy.....

Those tension-bar Bigsby's make me queasy.....

– echoplex

Agreed, wouldn't that break angle affect tuning stability? I like the hardtails though

The tension bar Bigsbys turned me off completely.

They might wanna go back to the drawing board for the '19 players edition jets lol

Agreed, wouldn't that break angle affect tuning stability? I like the hardtails though

– Chmason85

For me and my Broadkaster Jr, the break angle made a BIG difference. The tuning instability had me thinking I had made a big mistake in buying the guitar.

Good news -- I found a solution and have been VERY happy with it.

http://gretschpages.com/for...

Register Sign in to join the conversation