Modern Gretsch Guitars

New here and to Gretsch

Hello all I am new to The Gretsch Pages and Gretsch in general. I currently have a 5420t FSR in black and gold, but I am looking to add or replace. I have the 2013 G6120-59LTV on hold at Dave's an wanted some opinions on the year and model. Not looking for an investment piece, but one I can play and enjoy, Please be kind to a newbie and let me know you opinions on the guitar. Thanks,Sam

Welcome to the zoo.

I think 2013 is a great year for a 59LTV in general. With modern Terada-produced Gretsch instruments, there really are no "bad" years-- it's a matter of minor changes year over year, and what speaks to you personally.

Welcome to all things Gretsch!...and crap about other brands as well. The one overriding thing to keep in mind is that in 2003 Fender took over the manufacturing aspect and there was a return to accurate overall dimensions, thinner [laminated] body sections and upgraded pups and harnesses. Since then, the guitars have been the best quality manufactured.

The guitar you have on hold will be a winner for sure!

Welcome to all things Gretsch!...and crap about other brands as well. The one overriding thing to keep in mind is that in 2003 Fender took over the manufacturing aspect and there was a return to accurate overall dimensions, thinner [laminated] body sections and upgraded pups and harnesses. Since then, the guitars have been the best quality manufactured.

The guitar you have on hold will be a winner for sure!

– Windsordave

Which is funny because I remember us dreading the Fender buy out and thought the first ones out of the gate weren't that great. Maybe we were just pissed they were fixing some problems...that guitars we owned had.

You'll be happy with your guitar.

If you like your 5420T you will LOVE, and I mean love love love, your 6120

Welcome to the GDP (Gretsch Discussion Pages) ssreeves! I'm glad you found us, and I hope you stick around. This is THE place to be, especially if you are interested in all things Gretsch.

The guitar you have on hold will undoubtedly blow you away. I just bought my first Pro Line Gretsch, after starting with a G5422TG (Electromatic Hollow Body). As good as my MIK Electromatic is, the new Japanese made G6131T is even better. It's the icing on the already excellent cake. The pickups, other electronics, and the tuners on my Pro Line are definitely a cut above the Electromatic line. The Bigsby is smoother too, and it's more responsive. Both my Electromatic and Pro Line guitars have flawless fit and finish.

You can't really mod an Electromatic into a Pro Line instrument, you can get fairly close, but then you've spent Pro Line money to only get 80% of the way there.

You’ve got one fine instrument on hold over there, certainly one of Gretsches flagship models. TV Jones pickups, nitro finish, classic proportions and styling, you can’t go wrong!

Thanks everyone, I look forward to being part of the Gretsch page discussion family. I can't wait to get the guitar. I could have gone for a new one but something said to get this one.

Welcome! You can't go wrong with a modern 6120 especially when it's built after 2003, like the others mentioned. There's good deals to be had with used guitars, nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and we do like pictures of the guitars!

Welcome. Wise advice above.

Ok this is the best Pic I have at the moment, Quick question are the bridges pinned or floating on these? FYI the Bigbsy will be going back on.

Welcome! I also predict you will absolutely love playing your 6120. 5420s are amazing too! I would love for you to update us with your thoughts on how these two compare once you get familiar with it.

Another closer look. Disclosure, these pics are from Dave's Guitar

BuddyHollywood I will try to do that for you. Because I am getting the 6120 the 5420 may be going back, I have not decided yet. I was going to put TV Jones Classic in the neck and a Powertron in the bridge of the 5420. TV has the pickups and they are putting the gold hardware in them. That said I may have extra pickups and a Deluxe case I bought off craigslist. We will see what I do.

If it's a 2013 model, the bridge is most likely completely floating. With a few exceptions, factory pinning Pro Line models didn't really start until 2016.

Thanks for the info Tartan.

Here is the 5420:

Cool 5420! Maybe you already did but it will likely resonate more if you remove the "Secured" card from under the bridge.

Welcome....sorry you missed the first 138 years.

Thanks and some of us take detours that we should not have. I am sorry I missed it as well!

Register Sign in to join the conversation