Modern Gretsch Guitars

New Guy with Question

Just got my first Gretsch, an awesome Stephen Stern Duo Jet from Wildwood Guitars. I guess I never paid much attention to the fretboard/body joint on the few Gretsch guitars that I have played in shops over the years but;

Is there supposed to be a gap between the fretboard and the body? I mean it is like a quarter inch. I cant imagine that this would be a mistake coming from the Custom Shop.

Excellent playing and sounding guitar by the way! Love it. Sorry for the dumb question.

Normal. The fingerboard extension floats.

– Charlie Vegas

Thanks man. I figured that was the case. Just shows you how green I am with my Duo Jet.

You look as if you will be more aquamarine with that fine looking Jet.

Those CS guitars are fine things.

Welcome aboard,Woolly. You sure started your Gretsch collection with a bang!

Talk about starting at the Topper-most of the Top!

Welcome aboard!

A Duo Jet is essentially a hollow body guitar, and the construction is more like a larger archtop jazzbox. The gap between the top and the end of the fretboard allows more of the top to vibrate freely, adding to the resonance and unique tone.

Solid body guitars --- and semi-hollow --- more typically have a fretboard mounted directly on the body.

Damn! Nice start to the Gretsch addiction

Dang, that is one pretty guitar.

I bought a Sterns Jet from Wildwood a few months ago and it's awesome. They get some really nice custom stuff coming through. That one was not available when I got mine and it's quite nice looking!

Sounds like your question has been answered but welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the asylum!

Nice guitar! You can only go down from here.

Wow! That is a great looking guitar! Of course, I'm kind of partial to that color...

Wow. That's starting at the top of the heap. Congrats.

If not already aware, the bridge base is not fixed, so if you hear intonation issues, you'll have to slide it some. Get a TruArc Serpentune bridge and you'll be in heaven.

Congrats! Luckily, green and orange go together well (except sometimes in Ireland).

Built like string instruments from a half million years ago.

Wildwood specs them right. Awesome color. And that has a Tru-Arc bridge, I'm guessing?

The Stern guitars are all various shades of awesome. I have two Stern Jets (one faux-DeArmonds, one filtertrons), and they are both Desert Island guitars. The DeArmond guitar in particular (and I see yours is one too) is bottled lightning.

Congrats. Play it in good health. And if you sell it, post it here. It looks awesome.

Congrats on snagging a beautiful instrument.

Can't say enough about Wildwood. Best purchasing experience that I've ever had. They order guitars right, set them up to a customers needs, and are just great folks to deal with.

Enjoy it.

Wow. That's starting at the top of the heap. Congrats.

If not already aware, the bridge base is not fixed, so if you hear intonation issues, you'll have to slide it some. Get a TruArc Serpentune bridge and you'll be in heaven.

– NJBob

Thank you. No intonation issues or setup issues as of yet. Wildwood really does a nice setup before they ship. Quite a bit more humidity down here in Texas than Colorado. Usually have to tweet them a bit after a couple of months of acclamation.

Thank you. No intonation issues or setup issues as of yet. Wildwood really does a nice setup before they ship. Quite a bit more humidity down here in Texas than Colorado. Usually have to tweet them a bit after a couple of months of acclamation.

– Woollymonster

The bridge on my "57" CS jet (which appears to be exactly like yours except finish and mine has chrome harware) IS PINNED in place. If you still can access the description from Wildwood, it should say.

I am not having intonation issues even though I switched to .11s from the .10s it was speced with.

The bridge on my "57" CS jet (which appears to be exactly like yours except finish and mine has chrome harware) IS PINNED in place. If you still can access the description from Wildwood, it should say.

I am not having intonation issues even though I switched to .11s from the .10s it was speced with.

– WillieDSW

Yes, I don’t see any way for the bridge to move fore and aft for intonation. First Bigsby ever as well. I am amazed at how well it stays in tune. Just as well as my LP and Tele. Way better than my Strat. And my Strat ain’t no slouch.

Yes, I don’t see any way for the bridge to move fore and aft for intonation. First Bigsby ever as well. I am amazed at how well it stays in tune. Just as well as my LP and Tele. Way better than my Strat. And my Strat ain’t no slouch.

– Woollymonster

Traditionally, Jets were made like archtop guitars with a "floating bridge", so if you slacken your strings you can actually slide the wooden base around to adjust intonation. And if you remove the stings the whole bridge assembly will fall off if the guitar is not on it's back or you're not careful and hang on to it. It is not attached to the top of the guitar.

More recently (I think Chet may have been one of the first to do this on his guitars in the early 60s) some Gretsches, that would otherwise have floaters, will have "pinned" bridges where there are metal nubs screwed into the top of the guitar with corresponding holes on the bottom of the bridge so that it does not move around.

Info for your guitar, it seems, is still on Wildwood's site (I love the Lake Placid Blue one too!) and it says "Rocking Bar Pinned" so yours, like mine, IS PINNED. You still need to be careful when you remove the strings - the "pins" are not very tall and the bridge will still fall off if it's not laying on it's back.

Advantage is that it's easy to place it in the "correct" spot. Downside, of course, if you want to change your intonation you'll need to take a pin or both out. Here's a picture I found on the web of the pins/bridge...

Register Sign in to join the conversation