Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1960 Country Club in Jet Fire Red

Just thought I would share this with Gretsch enthusiasts . I recently purchased This 1960 PX6192 s/n 39311 Country Club in original Jet Fire Red from the original owners widow ( also has a 62 Blonde Fender Twin Amp with it). Special Ordered in Euclid Ohio in 1960. I have all the docs/receipts/guarantee cert./case etc. The guitar itself is 100% original, very clean, but.....a slight separation at the neck joint ( never seen that before on a Gretsch, haha!). Though all of the other "usual problem" areas ( i.e. binding etc) are great !
Haven't decided if I'm keeping it or not. would have no idea where to price it, as its most likely the only one.....

Welcome aboard.

That's a lovely piece. Shame about the neck joint. Do you happen to know what the "PX" prefix in the model # indicates?

As a Country Club player, all I can say is - what a trip!

As a Country Club player, all I can say is - what a trip!

That's a very good looking guitar. When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought to myself that I probably wouldn't be too enamored with a red Country Club, but it does look pretty special!

The guitar is fantastic; the amp to die for.

Welcome aboard.

That's a lovely piece. Shame about the neck joint. Do you happen to know what the "PX" prefix in the model # indicates?

– tommy59

If you look through the vintage catalogs on this site you'll note that Gretsch included the "PX" prefix to all their models.

Great looking guitar.... thanks for sharing! You mentioned having the original bill of sale... is there a line item noted for the special finish color? I've seen another custom color Gretsch from 1960 that showed the special finish as only costing $25. Can you also provide the date on the bill of sale? It helps us in the continued effort to calibrate the serial numbering chronology.

I adore that amp!

Fanatastic find...plus the 'white whale' rare white Twin amp.

That red Club is übercool!

That's quite a score, especially the amp.

Fabulous. I love red guitars, and I like 1960 too.

If you look through the vintage catalogs on this site you'll note that Gretsch included the "PX" prefix to all their models.

– kc_eddie_b

It's my iPhone. The version of Safari I have doesn't like that part of the site.

Very cool looking guitar! Amp's not too shabby either.

I'd love that guitar even more if it had Dynas.

Great looking guitar and amp you've got there! It would be a big help to Ed to get him a copy of that bill of sale as it's one of the most sought after research items he can use.

That old Country Club looks nice in Firebird red.

Yours

Drew

Great looking guitar.... thanks for sharing! You mentioned having the original bill of sale... is there a line item noted for the special finish color? I've seen another custom color Gretsch from 1960 that showed the special finish as only costing $25. Can you also provide the date on the bill of sale? It helps us in the continued effort to calibrate the serial numbering chronology.

– kc_eddie_b

Ed, The guitar was ordered Aug. 1 1960 through the Dick Lurie Studio in Euclid Ohio. A deposit of $250 was sent to Gretsch. The guitar was paid in full on Dec. 27, 1960 at a price of $500 + $50 for the case. They traded in a Tonemaster guitar & got $75 trade in value for it. I also have a letter on Gretsch letterhead from Phil Grant dated Dec 16 1960 , apologizing for the delay in shipment. Hope this helps ! Oh, they bought the Fender amp in 1963 from Ernie Balls shop in Tarzana for $429.

Great info... thanks for providing that! It's not really clear "when" the guitar was delivered. The way that it reads it appears the order was put in in Aug., and the buyer was making payments, which completed in Dec. Seeing the Phil Grant communication makes me wonder if the guitar wasn't actually delivered to the shop in late Dec (so that being the more important date). Is that how you guys would interpret this?

Also... this #393xx batch is the first group of Clubs with the shallower body spec, and should all be considered 1961 model year examples. Just for reference the first 2.25" 6120 batch ('61 model year) came right after at batch #395xx, and the last of the single cut Jets just after that at #399xx. These are all evidence of the factory's practice of introducing the new model year features late in the previous calendar year.

Great info... thanks for providing that! It's not really clear "when" the guitar was delivered. The way that it reads it appears the order was put in in Aug., and the buyer was making payments, which completed in Dec. Seeing the Phil Grant communication makes me wonder if the guitar wasn't actually delivered to the shop in late Dec (so that being the more important date). Is that how you guys would interpret this?

Also... this #393xx batch is the first group of Clubs with the shallower body spec, and should all be considered 1961 model year examples. Just for reference the first 2.25" 6120 batch ('61 model year) came right after at batch #395xx, and the last of the single cut Jets just after that at #399xx. These are all evidence of the factory's practice of introducing the new model year features late in the previous calendar year.

– kc_eddie_b

Its 2-5/8ths thick. It appears to me by the communications that the guitar was delivered earlier than December of 1960. It had some kind of problem that isn't described & was returned to the factory. It was returned to the Studio in late Dec & paid in full at that time. No evidence of "payments", just a deposit to order & the balance upon delivery & acceptance.

I do believe there was another one of these discussed here before the crash? Ed?

What a cool guitar with a very cool story.

Register Sign in to join the conversation