Modern Gretsch Guitars

New Gretsch models for NAMM 2018?

I'm kind of surprised, being two days away from NAMM, that we haven't seen any announcements of any forthcoming new models for 2018, with the exception of Deed's announcement of Duane's new 6-string bass model.

So, anyone have any clues or inside info? Is it under that tight of a wrap this year? Excited to see what's in store, and no patience to wait and see!

My new guitar world magazine showed up today with a Gretsch 135th ad showing two red anniversary guitars. I will post a picture when I get home.

There is a teaser shot of the new Annie on the instagram site. Dark red/burgundy and unbound ebony board -- looks great so far.

Wouldn't a dark red/burgundy Anniversary with an unbound board be a Tenny?

Wouldn't a dark red/burgundy Anniversary with an unbound board be a Tenny?

– Charlie Vegas

Just about. I always thought of Annies and Tennys as siblings. They certainly were in '58-'61. Maybe the new one has mettalic paint and is a two-tone just to split the difference. I thought the 120th was a real classic -- bamboo yellow and copper mist. Maybe this Annie will be a riff on the old, rarely seen Bordeaux Burgundy.

I guess I misspoke. Looks like a red electromatic and an odd anniversary. I just quickly thumbed through the magazine while my 3 year old screamed for it lol.

I think that Gibson is not having fun on the financial side of things so there may be offerings from the big G to garner some market share. Pro Jets come to mind to compete with Les Pauls. No changes to electronics but maybe color offerings.

my 2 cents but we'll find out soon.

Didn't want to start a new NAMM thread just to post these 2 - 43 year old pics, so ... here I am at the "75 NAMM in Chicago. Lots of fun. Hope it still is ...

I'd be interested in a Super Axe with Setzer Sigs or Dynas and a bigsby. Don't know about the onboard effects circuit. And I doubt that compression and phaser would be my choices. But I think the shape is attractive and a thinner wider chambered solid-body appeals to me.

I want Electromatic Jets with Dearmond pickups back!

Electromatic Billy Bo in something like Caddy Green would be tempting.

– Ric12string

You calling me an ass? :)

I want Electromatic Jets with Dearmond pickups back!

– ChimingBell

This! Even better, get rolling on the Paul Pigat sig model. Thinline, full hollow, dearmonds - I'd be first in line to buy that.

I think that Gibson is not having fun on the financial side of things so there may be offerings from the big G to garner some market share. Pro Jets come to mind to compete with Les Pauls. No changes to electronics but maybe color offerings.

my 2 cents but we'll find out soon.

– Hogman

Really? Gibson having some financial trouble is going to make Gretsch fans out of people who really want a Les Paul?

He's got T90s in it now.

– Strummerson

That's a perfectly acceptable option to me too. DeArmond's and P90s are where my tastes are at these days, so either/or suits me just fine.

That's a perfectly acceptable option to me too. DeArmond's and P90s are where my tastes are at these days, so either/or suits me just fine.

– built4speed

Would Gretsch want to offer an all P-90 guitar or should it have the Filter/Dyna combo that was originally in the Pigat Synchro-Club?

Joe Carducci!!! They are talking about the synchroclub again!!! Either pickup combination is fine with me!!! Seriously. Both configurations are great. If it ever went into production I'd probably go with the original as it would appeal to the gretsch lover a bit more. Unfortunately not this year but Thanks for talking about it fellas!!

Joe Carducci!!! They are talking about the synchroclub again!!! Either pickup combination is fine with me!!! Seriously. Both configurations are great. If it ever went into production I'd probably go with the original as it would appeal to the gretsch lover a bit more. Unfortunately not this year but Thanks for talking about it fellas!!

– paul pigat

I can live with that. It would be easy enough to swap out the bridge filter if needed. Here's hoping for next year!

You calling me an ass? :)

– built4speed

No sir. Just a Shrek reference.

No sir. Just a Shrek reference.

– Ric12string

I know, just being a smart-donkey.

Register Sign in to join the conversation