Modern Gretsch Guitars

New Gretsch Lover

Hello all!

Been lurking here for a few weeks, but this is my first post.

I think I am rapidly becoming a Gretsch lover...

Now I am lucky enough to have a lot of guitars (too many if I'm honest) and the majority of those are on the higher-end...Novo's, Knaggs, Collings, etc. (but also with a soft spot for '80s style hair metal guitars like all of my Kramer's!) so I'm not a stranger to nicer guitars.

I picked up a big hollowbody Streamliner a few years ago and didn't really get on with it too much, but about a year or so ago I picked up one of those inexpensive Jr. Jets with the idea of just leaving it in Open G all the time...pretty much the opposite of the types of guitars I'm lucky to usually buy. I replaced the bridge and bridge posts with a higher quality set, (the stock bridge seemed to really be tilted/leaning under the string tension) and I put locking tuners on it.

Then not too long after that, to scratch the "big body Gretsch" itch that I had, I picked up a used Georgia Green 5622 Electromatic...a guitar that punches higher than it's weight for sure. Put locking tuners on it and also a Vibramate Spoiler.

A little while after that one and after doing a brief bit of Gretsch research, I decided to start looking around for a Player's Edition model, and ended up getting this Cadillac Green 6228...and ended up with a killer guitar!

About 2 weeks ago, I happened upon a Lotus Ivory 6128T DS and after playing it, I had to have it! I took it home and rapidly fell in love with it. I did put Collings bone-colored tuner buttons on it which I think look great on it (something I've done to several guitars...I like those buttons!) and I just acquired one of the Bricks Biggs Fix tension roller things I'll be putting on it this week.

Then just this past weekend, I had another Gretsch itch to scratch so I picked up a Phantom Metallic Rat Rod which I'm having a lot of fun playing...and it's inexpensive enough that I don't mind just leaving it laying around the house. I put a Vibramate spoiler on it and took the pickguard off. I also put a larger knob on the master volume to make it a bit easier to slam the volume off when playing it with the band to keep from any stray howling! Plus I think it kinda adds to the Rat Rod theme. I may end up customizing this one more as time goes by due to the inexpensive-ness of it as well as the Rat Rod vibe.

So, now I'm even toying with the idea of getting rid of a higher end guitar...possibly even my Novo Mirus...to get something like a Silver Falcon or something along those lines...I tend to loathe gold hardware so something like a 6636 Silver Falcon would be better suited to me probably, though I gotta admit that one of those baby blue Penguins would be pretty cool too!

I guess I've turned myself into a Gretsch nut pretty rapidly recently!

Wow that's quite an introduction! Welcome! I know you can't have just one Gretsch, or any other guitar for that matter, haha. Thanks for the story and pics. The bone colored tuner buttons look cool!

Hello and welcome. Nice buying spree. It would be great if you added them to the registry.

Hello and welcome. Nice buying spree. It would be great if you added them to the registry.

– Baba Joe

Baba Joe...forgive me - I don't know what the registry is!

Baba Joe...forgive me - I don't know what the registry is!

– Mapleleaf14

Welcome. You clearly have a Gretsch problem... like most of us here. The first Gretsch is almost inevitably a gateway drug.

The registry can be found HERE, and you can add your guitars (one at a time) using this form.

Since I'm one of the database admins, if you have problems, let me know.

Welcome. You clearly have a Gretsch problem... like most of us here. The first Gretsch is almost inevitably a gateway drug.

The registry can be found HERE, and you can add your guitars (one at a time) using this form.

Since I'm one of the database admins, if you have problems, let me know.

– Tartan Phantom

Tartan Phantom -

Thanks!

I put both of my Players Edition guitars in there...I'll follow up with the others soon.

Didn't see a 6128 TDS Players Edition option in the menu, so I just chose 6128 TDS.

Also didn't know what to pick for the back color...they're both like a dark brown-ish stain over the mahogany - like all the current Players Edition 6128's & 6228's.

Thanks again...look forward to being a part of the Gretsch-loving community!

Tartan Phantom -

Thanks!

I put both of my Players Edition guitars in there...I'll follow up with the others soon.

Didn't see a 6128 TDS Players Edition option in the menu, so I just chose 6128 TDS.

Also didn't know what to pick for the back color...they're both like a dark brown-ish stain over the mahogany - like all the current Players Edition 6128's & 6228's.

Thanks again...look forward to being a part of the Gretsch-loving community!

– Mapleleaf14

Yeah, the back is usually "mahogany". Thanks for adding them.

You just did a cannonball in the Gretsch pool and made a huge splash! If we gave out awards you would definitely be in the "Best First Post" category. Welcome aboard! I look forward to following your adventures.

Welcome, could you leave me your address and when you'll be out?

He's definitely hooked!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome and congratulations on making a head-first dive into this addiction we share!

Wow! You already have more Gretsch guitars than I do. It's a grand obsession. I'm really digging that Lotus Ivory 6128T. Enjoy & congrats.

Wow! Welcome to our addiction and apparently yours too. Very nice start on a Gretsch love quest.

Hello Mapleleaf14, welcome to the GDP (Gretsch Discussion Pages). I really like your way of thinking! You have some nice guitars, and I can comment on the BricksBiggsFix. I just put one on my 6131T PE Firebird Duo Jet, and it's made a tremendous difference. Do yourself a favor and get the Super Squishy Spring from the same guy that sells the Biggsfix. My Firebird is like a completely different guitar after installing the BricksBiggsFix and the SSS. The Bigsby is super responsive now AND it stays in tune after using the whammy bar, even if it's used heavily. It is the new responsiveness that has me all in a twitter, it's amazing to me that Bigsby hasn't redesigned the tension bar modles, to be more like how it is after the Biggsfix. It really is working at a disadvantage with that high string angel over the bridge. I bought my Firebird knowing that I was going to do the Biggsfix immediately after the purchase. I did, and it has far exceeded my expectations!

Thanks for the entries Mapleleaf. I also think that you will like the Biggsfix and second Wade’s comment about the squishy spring.

I went from around 30 guitars down to 5 now, I had Cheap ones, expensive ones. G&L,Fender, I am now at 5 Proline Electrics and 1 acoustic. All are Gretsch.

Thanks for all the welcomes gang...and thanks to everyone that checked out my Quick Look video on my YouTube channel that I made on the 6128.

I have another new addition to the family...picked up this 6129T-89 on Tuesday, and just got done doing my “upgrades” this evening.

I put on Graphtech Ratio locking tuners - I always have locking tuners on my guitars, and the Ratio tuners are my favorite.

I also put on the same type of bridge that I put on the 6128 - a Graphtech Resomax NV2...I believe the saddles help with tuning stability when using the Bigsby and they are nice and solid. The stock Adjustomatic rattled a bit.

Then until I get a Callahan string-thru bar for the Bigsby, I’m using a Vibramate spoiler.

I also pinned my pinned bridge! This bridge base had the elongated holes so the bridge could still move back and forth a pretty good amount even being a “pinned” bridge...more than I’d prefer anyway. So once I got the bridge in the right spot and intonation was perfect, I taped down the base so it wouldn’t move then took the bridge off of the base, and drilled a tiny hole down through the base into the body, then I ended up using a tiny Allen wrench for my “pins”...snipped it down to the right length and tapped the two pieces down through the holes. Worked like a charm and the bridge is now nice and snuggly pinned.

The other “upgrade” was replacing the plastic Bigsby washer with a 1970 penny...my odd thing I do on Bigsby’s!

Forgive me if my “upgrades” are blasphemous in Gretsch land...but I am a newb after all! LOL

That 6129 looks awesome. Gretsch's just look so good in colors they use. I probably would not look twice at a other guitars in Orange Stain, Cadillac Green or Silver Sparkle, but the look so good on a Gretsch.

Register Sign in to join the conversation