Modern Gretsch Guitars

new german member, curious about pu-vol-pot-issues

I apologize for misunderstanding your question jmkoeln, I nearly steered you in the wrong direction. My esteemed colleagues, TP and Proteus set things straight. Thanks guys for interpreting his question correctly.

I plugged in my 5422 and examined how the PuVolPots worked. The way mine is wired, in the middle position of the 3 way switch, if I roll off either volume, I get a reduced volume from that particular pickup. If either is zeroed, then no sound is produced. If I remember correctly, my Gibson guitars do pretty much the same thing. It's actually a good feature, as I don't have to zero both PuVolPots, to silence the guitar. It doesn't seem to have the symptoms that jmkoeln is writing about. Is mine somehow different than the Streamliner? I'm still a bit confused by reading his description of the problem, because I don't appear to have any guitar that exhibits those symptoms.

– Wade H

No need for excuses sir! Amongst so many shepherds it's almost impossible to loose the right path

The funny thing is, i had a 2655T, a 2655 and a 5655TG to test and only one of them (alas i don't remember wich) worked the way i thought it should be: You could control the Volume of each pickup independently.

Both others would rapidly decrease their volume to almost zero, as soon as you started turning either pickup-volume-knob. I didn't really examine this issue further, because i thougt it was just badly treated showroom-pieces. Later i found some forum-threads with a number of complaints concerning the same phenomenon.

But now i relax and wait until my guitar arrives and let the dealer do the right fixes - if necessary.....

Though i would love to find out WHY so many Gretsches are wired in a way that irritates the consumer so much. Since the fix seems so easy.......

Has anyone ever talked to Gretsch-staff to try to get a comment on this?

Also, I nominate PuVolPot as a new Gretsch feature name. I'm not sure what it does, but it's either a push-pull volume pot or a southeast Asian dictator.

– Proteus

I will order some PuVolPot at the chinese food delivery....... it's nr.2655 on the menue

No need for excuses sir! Amongst so many shepherds it's almost impossible to loose the right path

The funny thing is, i had a 2655T, a 2655 and a 5655TG to test and only one of them (alas i don't remember wich) worked the way i thought it should be: You could control the Volume of each pickup independently.

Both others would rapidly decrease their volume to almost zero, as soon as you started turning either pickup-volume-knob. I didn't really examine this issue further, because i thougt it was just badly treated showroom-pieces. Later i found some forum-threads with a number of complaints concerning the same phenomenon.

But now i relax and wait until my guitar arrives and let the dealer do the right fixes - if necessary.....

Though i would love to find out WHY so many Gretsches are wired in a way that irritates the consumer so much. Since the fix seems so easy.......

Has anyone ever talked to Gretsch-staff to try to get a comment on this?

– jmkoeln

Hello jmkoeln, I am fairly new to Gretsch guitars myself. I only have one Gretsch guitar, it's an Electromatic 5422TG, that I bought 10 months ago. My volume pots work the way one would expect, they do not work the way you described, so perhaps they are getting wired differently from each production facility. In any case, welcome again, please stick around, we have a great community here

You've started out with a great Gretsch choice. The Electromatics are a great platform. I love my Electro/Synchro's. I'd say play with the quirky things first to see if you get along with them before changing anything but certainly change anything that bothers you or you feel may make it a better guitar for you.

Congrats and welcome to our forum.

That's a very good point... Different facilities may not be producing the harnesses the same way.

Or perhaps they do it the "correct" way on odd days, and the "incorrect" way on even days.

I'm joking, of course.

Ok - ill try to reveal this secret in another thread and link it here......

HERE!

I love the christmas markets. I was lucky to be in Nürnberg and visit Rothenburg o.b.T. during the Christkindlesmarkt. What a beautiful country Germany is! Welcome to the site!

I love the christmas markets. I was lucky to be in Nürnberg and visit Rothenburg o.b.T. during the Christkindlesmarkt. What a beautiful country Germany is! Welcome to the site!

– Matt Vogt

Love Rothenburg! As a kid it was like a time-warp to medeival... at that times you could walk around the city on top of the City-Wall - felt a bit like Robin Hood or Ivanhoe

I spent two weeks in Bonn when I was 15. First and only time to meet my Grandmother. I had a wonderful time. The Bundesgartenschau was hosted there, that year. We were invited to come see it. We visited several Bads too.

That's a long time ago man! i rember the Bundesgartenschau since it was an awsome playground for us kids and only last month i passed it on a hike to Bad Godesberg and the area seemed so much smaller..... 'bout 30 years later.

seems i have to visit the U.S. ....just to catch up with you guy's.... got mushrooms over there?

Bad Godesberg was one of the ones we visited.

welcome to the forum, jmkoein. I was stationed in Germany for almost 3 years back in the early 70s. the installation was just north of Stuttgart. again welcome to the Gretsch Discussion Pages(GDP).

got mushrooms over there?

Yeahman. We got shrooms.

got mushrooms over there?

Yeahman. We got shrooms.

– Proteus

"Cooooooming!!!"

Love Rothenburg! As a kid it was like a time-warp to medeival... at that times you could walk around the city on top of the City-Wall - felt a bit like Robin Hood or Ivanhoe

– jmkoeln

We were able to walk part of the wall, but it was close to the end of the day, and getting cold. So we packed it in....

Register Sign in to join the conversation