Modern Gretsch Guitars

New Duane Eddy 6120 Model Specs Same as Old Ones?

I shamefully have never played a 6120DE in Desert Sunrise before. However, I did manage to play one in white today, and love it. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2011 6120DE, but curious if the specs (other than colour) are the same.

The Gretsch website shows that the white one has a "Standard U" shaped neck, and is 0.125" thinner than the Desert Sunrise one. Can anyone on here verify if this is indeed the new specs? More specifically, the neck profile?

Thanks!

I too would like to know as I'm looking into getting a white one at some point.

I'm working on getting you guys definitive answers.

I'm working on getting you guys definitive answers.

– Proteus

Thanks so much Proteus! I'm hoping that the info on the website is incorrect. ;)

I would be very surprised if the neck was modified. I know that, with the original model, great effort was put in by Duane to make sure that it was just right. And, from everything that I had heard, Duane was quite pleased with it. So, a change in the neck on the white model would suggest that Gretsch got it wrong the first time. But I never heard anything to suggest that.

I would be very surprised if the neck was modified. I know that, with the original model, great effort was put in by Duane to make sure that it was just right. And, from everything that I had heard, Duane was quite pleased with it. So, a change in the neck on the white model would suggest that Gretsch got it wrong the first time. But I never heard anything to suggest that.

– Ric12string

To be honest, I would be too. I just figured I'd ask before I took the plunge. The conflicting info on Gretsch's website just makes me wonder.

We'll get a definitive answer soon.

I have confirmation from an authoritative source that the neck of the newer custom color DE models is indeed ever so slightly slimmer than the neck of the "standard" DE model.

The source emphasizes that Gretsch absolutely got the profile right on the Desert Sunrise DE, and that Duane has used that guitar "exclusively, for stage and recording" since it was released. Couldn't be happier. Not a bit dissatisfied.

When he got the prototype for the Limited Edition black-n-white versions, he thought the neck could come down a little. I don't know if that's because it varied slightly from the DE, or he was just in a skinnier mood - but he and FMIC/Gretsch guy Chip Ellis in Nashville "went after it. A pile of sawdust later, the neck was a teeny tiny bit slimmer" and the specs were sent to Terada.

Duane is happy with the new ones too. Gretsch got it right, both times.

That's all I know about that, and I probably didn't make much of it up.

That's your story and you're sticking to it, eh? Regardless, both guitars sound like winners!

I have confirmation from an authoritative source that the neck of the newer custom color DE models is indeed ever so slightly slimmer than the neck of the "standard" DE model.

The source emphasizes that Gretsch absolutely got the profile right on the Desert Sunrise DE, and that Duane has used that guitar "exclusively, for stage and recording" since it was released. Couldn't be happier. Not a bit dissatisfied.

When he got the prototype for the Limited Edition black-n-white versions, he thought the neck could come down a little. I don't know if that's because it varied slightly from the DE, or he was just in a skinnier mood - but he and FMIC/Gretsch guy Chip Ellis in Nashville "went after it. A pile of sawdust later, the neck was a teeny tiny bit slimmer" and the specs were sent to Terada.

Duane is happy with the new ones too. Gretsch got it right, both times.

That's all I know about that, and I probably didn't make much of it up.

– Proteus

Proteus FTW! What a resource - and thank you! Your research pushed me over the edge and as of today, I now have a 2011 6120DE incoming! I can't wait to introduce her to you guys in a "NGD" thread!

as of today, I now have a 2011 6120DE incoming!

I thank you, Gretsch thanks you, Deed thanks you, and Duane thanks you.

Thank you everyone! (I'm waving.)

(Sorry, we just watched Miss Congeniality during our Blue Apron Shrimp with Tiger Sauce dinner and there's something in my eye.)

I'm waving too!

To TWRC...so glad to read that you have a DE6120 on the way. They are beautiful guitars, to be sure. As for the website discrepancies, not too sure of the reason, but we'll be checking that out. Enjoy your new guitar, Duane is looking forward to your NGD post!

I'm waving too!

To TWRC...so glad to read that you have a DE6120 on the way. They are beautiful guitars, to be sure. As for the website discrepancies, not too sure of the reason, but we'll be checking that out. Enjoy your new guitar, Duane is looking forward to your NGD post!

– Deed Eddy

Hello Deed,

THANK YOU!!! What an honour it is to have you take the time to write that, and to have yourself and Duane as part of this community. I know I'm pretty new here, but I plan on making my official introduction with my new DE!

Register Sign in to join the conversation