Modern Gretsch Guitars

New 6120 Day

Had a nap and when I got up, I found this on the doorstep. Just finished restringing and cleaning; all it needs is a pickup height adjustment. Also, I had a brass Tru-Arc so that replaced the stock ABR that it came with. It is a 2011 Terada model and it has one of the nicest subtle flame maple top and back sets that I've seen. The camera didn't really pick it up very well. I have only seen one other 6120 from that period with this kind of subtle flame; maybe from the same batch.

Question: The model designation says G6120, but the database doesn't seem to have that model. they are all 6120-60, 6120-59, etc., all have something after the 6120. Can someone tell me which model I have so I can add it to the database? It has sound post bracing, no zero fret, seems to be standard 12" radius, tone switch......serial number is JT11083031.

Oh, yeah, that's pretty! Congrats!

Just appeared on your doorstep, you say. Was it the nap that worked the magic? Did you perchance dream of it, and somehow persuade the universe to complete your thought?

That doesn't seem to work for me. I'll have to try to get in more daytime naps.

And no suffixes after "6120". This supports the notion that the universe gave you the archetype, the very origin story, the Platonic ideal of 6120ness, the source of all successive, necessarily mutated and lesser, attempts by nature to realize the perfection of the One. Treasure it always.

The transformative creative power of your dreams is apparently great indeed, and should be harnessed for the betterment of mankind. May I remind you that it's only a few days after my birthday? Maybe you can dream me the archetypal ideal of a chambered red pearloid Dyna Jet baritone 12-string. I'll message you my address if you like.

Just appeared on your doorstep, you say. Was it the nap that worked the magic? Did you perchance dream of it, and somehow persuade the universe to complete your thought?

That doesn't seem to work for me. I'll have to try to get in more daytime naps.

And no suffixes after "6120". This supports the notion that the universe gave you the archetype, the very origin story, the Platonic ideal of 6120ness, the source of all successive, necessarily mutated and lesser, attempts by nature to realize the perfection of the One. Treasure it always.

The transformative creative power of your dreams is apparently great indeed, and should be harnessed for the betterment of mankind. May I remind you that it's only a few days after my birthday? Maybe you can dream me the archetypal ideal of a chambered red pearloid Dyna Jet baritone 12-string. I'll message you my address if you like.

– Proteus

Am I a man dreaming of a Gretsch 6120 or a 6120 dreaming of a man? A pearloid Dyna Jet baritone?.......by Jove, I'll do it. But first you'll have to show me that you're not a Dyna Jet trying to mess with the karmic destiny of our good friend Proteus.

After looking through the database again, I found what I think this one might be: a 6120 Chet Atkins/Nashville. I suppose that's pretty close to the origin of the 6120 story, so that's what I went with. Damn, Gretsch makes some nice guitars.

BTW, that brass Serpentune is just the thing for this.

you'll have to show me that you're not a Dyna Jet trying to mess with the karmic destiny of our good friend Proteus.

Oh, I'm not. I'm definitely not. Don't you have some traffic lights I can recognize or something?

Glad the SerpenTune is working out. I think it's a pretty good bridge!

I have those kind of dreams also...unfortunately mine end up with me waking up with my wife uttering her typical refrain "you don't need to be spending money on any more guitars". Congrats. Beautiful example of a 6120, one of the nicest I've seen.

Sweet geet sir,congrats!

Congratulations! That is just the kinda cheer we need

Is there such a thing as too cool? Yes. Yes there is. Congrats on a beautiful piece of Gretschdom.

G6120 was the original "base model" designation from the 90's - there were no suffixes after it, no special appointments (aka G6120-60, etc). The database should be updated to include a non-suffixed model. I chose "6120 Chet Atkins Hollowbody/Nashville" when I had mine (now sold).

Love the tiger stripes, never managed to pick one of those up.

Congrats on your plain' ole, stripey 6120!

Congratulations!!!!! 6120s, in any configuration, are hard to beat for that Gretschy goodness. Enjoy.

Oh yeah! That's a nice guitar! Congratulations on your dream come true!

Thanks everyone for your positive comments. Here's something that I'm sure some of you already know about. The pickups were not balanced and the neck PU was slanted forward toward the neck. So, the bridge got adjusted first, by adding a little extra foam to raise it a smidgen and stabilize it. Today I added some foam at the front of the pickup and now it is ever so slightly slanted towards the bridge. I wanted to move the bridge side screws away from the strings and the neck side screws a little closer to the strings. From there I adjusted the screws on both pickups to get the sound and balance that I was looking for.

What I noticed was that these small adjustments, in addition to the relative balance in volume, made a significant difference in the sound. Before, the neck PU had too much midrange for my taste, and by lowering the pickup overall, changing the angle, and adjusting the height of the screws so the bridge side is low and the neck side adjusted for string balance, the guitar now sounds VERY different. Maybe that's why they are called High Sensitivity Filter'trons. Playing with the pickup angle and height adjustments between the two rows of pole screws makes more of a change than I realized. After using single coils for so long, this is proving to be a nice adventure.

Sweet guitar Journeyman congrats on your new 6120!

Register Sign in to join the conversation